Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I think these people are NIMBYs, but I do agree with electrification. Why not just do it now? Get a headstart by doing it on Georgetown first! The idea of a diesel train running from Union to Pearson is positively 20th Century thinking.

WOW, again plenty of misinformation.
Kind of ironic you saying that, given the misinformation you have spouted here. And you are correct, Weston itself came first, and the trains only arrived 153 years ago. Though offhand, I'm not aware of many buildings, or residents, in Weston here for 153 years.

I am sure that most on this board will never use Blue 22. Yet seem to know everything.

Blue 22 does nothing to improve the communities it passes through. It does nothing in its current proposed form bring any improvements to Toronto.
Ah, here comes the misinformation. I don't think anyone here gives a flying fuddle-duddle about Blue 22. The prime reason for the upgrade is for the upgrades to the Georgetown , Milton, and Bolton GO services - and the Kitchener-Stratford VIA services. Blue 22 is simply along for the ride.

The idea of a diesel train running from Union to Pearson is positively 20th Century thinking.

I can't believe you would make such claims. They will be using state of the art refurbished Budd Rail Diesel Cars built as recently as 1962. For easy boarding with luggage these cars come with two wide 65cm pull open steel doors and three large steps. What could be more 21st century?

Last edited:
I can't believe you would make such claims. They will be using state of the art refurbished Budd Rail Diesel Cars built as recently as 1962. For easy boarding with luggage these cars come with two wide 65cm pull open steel doors and three large steps. What could be more 21st century?

not even wheelchair accessible?

Last edited:
Not without help. They will be refurbished similar to VIA's RDCs which means a separate door is used for wheelchair access requiring a lift.

so a new rail line with new platforms and they can't make the platforms level with the doors? i can understand why GO transit has a special rail car for wheelchairs (existing platforms, infrastructure to deal with, etc.) but the blue 22 is being built from scratch and being built with limitations. :mad: also, what are people supposed to do with luggage, baby strollers, etc?

The platform at Pearson will be high-platform. GO unfortunately doesn't seem to have any long term plan to migrate to the double-decked cars Montreal and NJ Transit are getting which support both platform heights and therefore any stations GO uses (including Weston, Eglinton, Bloor, and Union) are stuck at low platform heights.

Weston itself came first, and the trains only arrived 153 years ago. Though offhand, I'm not aware of many buildings, or residents, in Weston here for 153 years.

there's quite a few and some back on to the railway.

one thing that bothers me is that the union rail link dates back to the early 90's yet many housing developments were allowed to happen right next to the tracks on former industrial lands, some that are even under construction at this very moment. absolutely horrible planning.

The platform at Pearson will be high-platform. GO unfortunately doesn't seem to have any long term plan to migrate to the double-decked cars Montreal and NJ Transit are getting which support both platform heights and therefore any stations GO uses (including Weston, Eglinton, Bloor, and Union) are stuck at low platform heights.

what does it have to do with GO though? from the drawings i've seen, blue 22 will have its own two tracks with its own platforms won't it?

A few ... but many from pre-1855?

i'm not sure on the exact number. IIRC, one time i think i saw a heritage home that backs on to the tracks that had a sign that said it was built in 1854.

the argument was made that the railway came first (before weston) and that's not the case.

also, i think residential properties existed where they are (minus the new subdivisions) before the railway came to be. now you can say that most current homes on those properties are post 1855 because homes get replaced over time but if you use the logic of what came first, those post 1855 homes would have seniority over the rail lines since the actual tracks that exist there now are probably less than 30 years old. either compare land (rail property) to land (residential property) or structure (existing tracks) to structure (existing homes).

so the real question is which came first out of the two property types next to each other over there? the railway lands or the residential lands?

now logically, you can go a step further and compare ownership of property:

CN & CP have probably owned the rail properties longer than any resident has owned property next to the tracks but since the CN property was sold, that means the rail property has changed ownership much like a residential property would over the years. technically that means that even the residential properties that came into existence in the past few years and have been owned since then by the same people have seniority in the question of who was there first. the people who own those residential properties have seniority in terms of which current party has had ownership first.

for any of the seniority arguments (who was there first) to be fair, only the following type of comparisons should be made:

current ownership of rail property established date VS. current ownership of residential property established date

rail property use established date VS. residential property use established date

current rail structure established date VS. current residential structure established date

logically, any residential property owner, residential land use or residential infrastructure next to the tracks has seniority over blue 22 in all of those levels.

Last edited:
IIRC, one time i think i saw a heritage home that backs on to the tracks that had a sign that said it was built in 1854.
As the railway was operational in 1856, presumably a house that was constructed in 1854 was with the knowledge of the railway construction. Here's an 1852 newspaper article that discusses the alignment from Guelph to Toronto passing through Weston:
http://www.halinet.on.ca/sigs/ehs/ga1852-2.HTML

the argument was made that the railway came first (before weston) and that's not the case.
I'd hardly call an obviously erroneous statement an argument.

As the railway was operational in 1856, presumably a house that was constructed in 1854 was with the knowledge of the railway construction. Here's an 1852 newspaper article that discusses the alignment from Guelph to Toronto passing through Weston:
http://www.halinet.on.ca/sigs/ehs/ga1852-2.HTML

but which of those two property types next to each other came first? residential or railway?

but which of those two property types next to each other came first? residential or railway?
Good question - you'd have to look at plans from the 1850s. I wouldn't be surprised if the railway was built away from the village, east of Weston Road, and then people quickly built along the railway when it was under construction ... but I'm only guessing.

Back