Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Wut??? You do realize the same can be said about any GO station or heck any transit station for that matter. But this hasn't stopped GO stations within Toronto like Long Branch or Eglinton from seeing decent usage. The difference is the capacity of this service is an order of magnitude less.

True...but we already have an indication of GO demand at these stations and it is not that high. It is not like we are introducing new stations and wondering if people will use them.....these stations exist, have had service for decades and they are not that well used.

I could be way wrong....but based on current GO usage to Bloor and Weston....I doubt it is an issue in the immediate future.

15 min AD2W service + decreased fares could = a pretty big uptake in ridership, both airport-bound and commuter. I just hope there's some kind of contingency plan in place for if that becomes an issue is all I'm saying.

15 min AD2W service + decreased fares could = a pretty big uptake in ridership, both airport-bound and commuter. I just hope there's some kind of contingency plan in place for if that becomes an issue is all I'm saying.
In commuter peak times (which I assume would be the times of real issue)....the frequencies are not all that different (a bit but, really, people are avoiding GO because of 22.5 average gap but will clamour for 15 minute gap?) and fares are about the same.....but very little usage between those stations. As someone else mentioned, by far the bigger use of Bloor on the GO is people coming from further west getting off in the morning to switch to Bloor subway and people getting on in the evening from the bloor subway......those people would be unaffected by this and will stick on GO. When I ride a GO train WB on this line on the evening, and someone gets off at Bloor it is so rare that you notice them.

Is it not? I don't see anything in the CRA's requirments that wouldn't allow you to claim it.
? You don't claim taxable benefits. They get added to your income, and you pay taxes on them.

If you aren't paying market rates for parking, then your employer must add the cost of parking to your income on your T4. No reason that the same wouldn't go for transit - but in this case, it isn't the employer providing the transit - it's more of a discount for a specific group by a 3rd party. And I don't know of any examples where that's taxable.

Is it not? I don't see anything in the CRA's requirments that wouldn't allow you to claim it.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns360-390/364/lgblty-eng.html
a taxable benefit is not a claim an employee makes...it is something that gets taxed.

So, for instance, if a company pays for an employee's parking spot at, say, $350/mth....then at tax time $4,200 is added to the employee's taxable income and they end up paying their marginal tax rate on that $4,200. The theory is that it is a financial benefit derived to someone based solely on their employment. I think the reason these workers (who are getting a financial benefit based solely on where they work) are not getting the benefit from their employer...so it slips between the cracks.

TTC Riders: "We forced Metrolinx to lower its UPX fares, but the fight isn’t over yet."
Metrolinx has finally taken their head out of the sand on the empty UPX luxury line and started listening to what riders really need. However the fare reductions will not make this train affordable for everyone. At almost double the cost of a token to ride from Dundas West to Union, the train is still not a mass transit line for all of us. The UPX luxury line creates a two-tiered transit system where the wealthy get express service while the rest of us are packed liked sardines on broken down buses and trains. Every trip in Toronto should cost the same TTC fare with special passes for seniors, students, and low income people.

We are calling for the Union Pearson train to be converted into a truly useful electrified public transit line with stops in our neighbourhoods and TTC fares. We’re also calling on the Wynne Government and Metrolinx to look to Vancouver on how to do it right. Vancouver’s new 19-km train line from the Airport to downtown has 16 stops, and it costs the regular public transit fare to ride it within the city. Riders pay a $5 fare surcharge if they use the Airport stop, but many riders are exempt, including monthly Metropass holders.

For all their goddamn snark, they seem to be ignorant of the fact that the train does not have the capacity to be used as mass transit.

They also said,
Metrolinx will reduce fares to just under $20 to travel from Union Station to Pearson Airport.

What a misleading BS. I'm a TTC rider, but this group does not represent me nor are they helpful to the cause.

Gave this a skim over.....http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...23/20160223_BoardMtg_UP_Express_Report_EN.pdf

According to UP folks, there are 4 barriers to UP building ridership....fares being #4...oh, and it is not the fares themselves that are the 4th barrier, rather:

The fourth barrier to ridership growth has been perceptions about price. The research indicates that there is a view that UP Express is expensive, without knowledge among potential customers what the exact price is.

A truly independant board would respond to this with...."I will not approve you taking the easy way out....if your research is right, get off your butts, do the hard work and correct those perceptions rather than beg for a price reduction to make your goal of building ridership easy".....of course a puppet board that has just been bigfooted will respond with...."Approved, cocktails anyone?".

So now I'm officially persuaded to consider UPX on trips to the airports. I'm about a 15 minute ride on the TTC to Dundas West station. With Presto, I can do one way to the airport 2-stop UPX $5.02 + TTC $2.90= $7.92 (a nice round number). It's 17 minutes for the UPX from Bloor to Union. Let's say it's about a 5 minute walk between Bloor and Dundas West, than means I could be there as fast as 37 minutes. Realistically, given the complete uncorrelation of the TTC schedule and UPX, the average time is closer to 45 minutes. Taking the TTC only, I find I'm usually right around the 1 hour mark. A 15 minute savings and the additional comfort seem like it's worth the extra $5. So for me at least, they've got a much more willing incremental airport passenger. I have a feeling there's probably a lot more people in this category than they might think...really expands the catchment area.

And I'm also super annoyed to keep seeing the comments from the TTC Rider group. Let's just be happy and praise Metrolinx for lowering its fares. It would indeed be unrealistic to expect the UPX to support the ridership it could see at TTC-level fares.

Gave this a skim over.....http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...23/20160223_BoardMtg_UP_Express_Report_EN.pdf

According to UP folks, there are 4 barriers to UP building ridership....fares being #4...oh, and it is not the fares themselves that are the 4th barrier, rather:

For those who haven't read the report, here are those four barriers.

Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 548
According to UP folks, there are 4 barriers to UP building ridership....fares being #4...

A truly independant board would respond to this with...."I will not approve you taking the easy way out....if your research is right, get off your butts, do the hard work and correct those perceptions rather than beg for a price reduction to make your goal of building ridership easy"

Well, maybe a Trump style Board (there are plenty of those) would do that. A more insightful Board would ask, "was there evidence that you were fooling yourselves all along?"

Barrier 1 - (Awareness) Where's the evidence that you tried? It's clear the travel publications - Fodors, Lonely Planet, etc - didn't rush out to put UP in their writeups on Toronto. How many Travel editors were contacted? How many writeups provided to key travel publications? How many articles achieved in foreign trade press? How many mentions in foreign newspapers? The warning signs of problems here would have been apparent 12 months or more ago.
Barrier 2 - (Navigating) We note that you employed lots of expensive supposedly 'expert' consultants on signage, etc. What happened? (to digress - I walked the UP route at Union Station today. The signage from UP to the city is a lot bigger and better than the signage from the subway to UP. Still looking for more universal airplane logos....we are fooling ourselves if we think that the TTC or GO logos are as universally understood as, say, the London Underground logo. Let alone the UP logo.)
Barrier 3 - (Price Perception) - there's a lot of psych literature about the "just noticeable difference". Did you think that pricing UP slightly under the 2-person limo price would be enough of a differential to trigger the "just noticeable" difference? Why didn't you offer a ridiculously cheap fare as the loss leader, with a clever plan to ratchet it upwards as ridership grew? Show me a business model that has implemented the full-margin fare as the starting position.....most new offerings are given away for a song for the first while......would Hyundai or KIA have offered their (very impressive) autos by setting the starting prices at BMW levels?
Barrier 4 - (Changing habits) - see Barrier 3 - did you really think people would say, "Oh, yeah....Presto card.....just like Oyster Card......" without asking "I can use it on the bus, can't I?" What was the evidence, by the way? You did market research - what percentage of central Toronto commuters knew what a Presto card was when you started your service? What percentage had already used airport rail in Paris, London, Rome, Oslo?

- Paul

Last edited:
Well, maybe a Trump style Board (there are plenty of those) would do that. A more insightful Board would ask, "was there evidence that you were fooling yourselves all along?"

Sure, if the board disagreed with management and agreed with the politicians above them that slashing price was the only approach then the issue becomes the Board's confidence in management.

I have seen boards that have had fundamental disagreement with management strategy. It typically leads to the firing of (or resignation by) the management who are over ruled by the board.

In this case, however, it seems like what we are going to get is "your report is fundamentally wrong, it is not the perception of the prices it is the actual prices...but, sure, keep being wrong and keep your jobs".

I have never sat in on a board meeting of one of Trump's companies so I cannot comment on how they operate.

Back