Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Drum often uses a long telephoto lens for his shots. This can cause significant distance-crushing for far-away objects. For example, in that second pic, it looks like the streetcar crossing the Dundas/Sterling bridge is almost right behind this train at Bloor St. It's a cool effect, but sometimes deceiving. There was a thread about the West Toronto Diamond underpass recently too, where the telephoto pics made the grade separation look like a steep pit.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=telephoto+perspective+compression

Weren't we also talking about that long zoom catching the wiggly tracks on St Clair? lol drum, you're screwing everyone up with that thing!

Oh, those doors open? Ahh! Hmm, I'll have to take a look again when there's no train there.
The extra car doors only open when there is a car there. Otherwise, remain lock when a 2 car train is at the station.

I hadn't even realized they were doors. Last time I got a good view of the new station, it was plastic sheeting.
They are like the Link doors at the airport. Counted 6 doors there on Sat and shot it.
17573207650_77e3b81db8_b.jpg

17760719245_755b515f79_b.jpg

17138239594_54517c32fa_b.jpg

Weston Station is now an 100% accessibility station for 12 cars.

The elevator is working for the centre platform and still being used for regular service.

The temporary ramp to the west platform has been removed and you now use the new ramp for the centre platform.

Taken back as this station is not advance as I thought it would be when I last saw it in April. Lots of flashing missing on both platform.

Wooden ceiling in place for the centre UPX platform and waiting display screens. The west platform is about 2 months away for UPX.

The station itself will not be ready until late July to early Sept.

Crews were working on Sunday caulking the platform joints and areas around post and other things. Other crews were working on the light post and other items.

Track 4 was having rail joints welded as well track work on all 3 tracks.

You can see where the knockout panel is to extend the tunnel under track 1 & 2 to get to the future east platform.

The south sidewalk on Lawrence is close as they are removing the retaining wall so there is an access to the plaza and station there. Most of the handrail is in place for the ramp & stair on the north side for the new bridge.

Dennison Rd.
The north sidewalk should be taken out of Service in the coming week or so with the opening of the new south new walkway. They will have to build the retaining wall for the north sidewalk before they can finish off the road and don't expect to see it open until the end of the year.

Mesh has been place around all openings to stop the birds from using it as a resting place.

CP has nearly completed reinstalling track 1.

The only way both Weston and Bloor will be almost complete for June 6 is to work 7 days a week and late at night.

Only 3 of the original bridges at Lansdowne still exist, as the rest have been replaced. Only 4 tracks in place as far south as Queen St that I could see.

Queen St has has the clear sound barrier and using a few different colours so it not 100% clear going over Queen St.

Not sure if anyone predicted that the most annoying noise from the UP trains would be the incessant clanging of bells when they pull into Bloor Station.

Not sure if anyone predicted that the most annoying noise from the UP trains would be the incessant clanging of bells when they pull into Bloor Station.
LOL, revenge on the Westonites who insisted that all the trains had to stop there!

Are the residents really that daft?

Oh, wait....of course they are.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

LOL, revenge on the Westonites who insisted that all the trains had to stop there!

do the bells clang at Weston too? Vic's post suggests it is a bloor issue.

anyway, mainly because it feels like I am the only guy who had not posted a picture of these trains.....last night at around 7

CFZ-FBFWYAIGS3i.jpg

Attachments

• CFZ-FBFWYAIGS3i.jpg
    CFZ-FBFWYAIGS3i.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 564
Don't know why this is even an issue, sounds like more NIMBYism to me. :rolleyes:

Every. Single. Time. A train stops at, passes through or leaves a trains station the engine bell must be rung. It's mandated by the Canadian Railway Operating Rules specifically CROR 13. Engine Bell https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/railsafety/rules-tco167-163.htm#

Even when a train does not stop at a station they're still required to have the bell one when passing by it. The same applies to every public crossing at grade. There are no exceptions(unless its broken obviously). Its just a simple safety measure that has saved countless lives by essentially telling people 'look here, big dangerous object passing by, stand clear'. You'd be amazed at how quite a GO train operating from the cab is, especially when power is not being applied. And its been like this for, oh I donno probably about One Hundred plus years. You'd think someone who lives by a train station would of noticed this by now.

Don't know why this is even an issue, sounds like more NIMBYism to me. :rolleyes:

I don't think it is an issue, at least, not yet. It was just an observation by vic that, after all the kerfuffle around "noisy, smelly" diesel trains, the real noise is the bell, not the engine.

Back