Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Happened to see the UP going into Union this morning as I passed under the tracks at Simcoe, might have decent video of it.

The UPX trains weren't running on any set schedule Monday afternoon when I saw 3 eastbound trains within 10 minutes. Even the westbound were all over the place.

There are still a ton of slow orders all over the place. At the current rate it's probably going to be around the end of the week still before they have enough tonnage over the lines to allow them to run at full speed.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Just curious.

How long would the walk be from the Union Pearson Express station to the first (and last) check-in lines at YYZ?

In comparison, how long would the walk be from the Union Billy Bishop Local stop (509 Harbourfront, which is already electric) to the first (and last) check-in lines at YTZ?

Or should we wait until the tunnel opens, for a better comparison?

Real damn good idea to do a "versus". I imagine times Billy Bishop would usually (but no longer always) win but times would be far more similiar than pre-UPX.

Just curious.

How long would the walk be from the Union Pearson Express station to the first (and last) check-in lines at YYZ?

In comparison, how long would the walk be from the Union Billy Bishop Local stop (509 Harbourfront, which is already electric) to the first (and last) check-in lines at YTZ?

Or should we wait until the tunnel opens, for a better comparison?
From Pearson, you would have to walk about 90-120 minutes to Weston. From Union to Bloor at least 90 minutes if not more for both depending on your age and what you have with you.

Take transit, the better way or get a cab.

Brief video, but fairly close-up view of UP Express approaching Union this morning:

[video=youtube;YEsvSIbLGzk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEsvSIbLGzk[/video]

Was standing on Dupont RailPath bridge Tuesday night looking for a northbound train when a southbound UPX pass me. It was very quite to the point I never heard it climb the grade for the diamond, It was an A-A.

Watching and talking with folks at Dundas overpass, trains were spread apart a lot more than Monday.

As for construction on the line having a hand in the quality of service, it play very little these days south of Dundas out side of peak time.

The block signals still have me scratching my head as I have never in all my life following Railways in NA have I seen what I saw the last 2 days. At Dupont, a northbound GO train wasn't tripping the block red signal until the 4th car had past under the mast.

At the same time, track 1 signal out of service since the line has been cut, with green over green on track 4 and track 3 had flashing Green over red. When I look south at the Wallace mast, track 2 & 4 had red over red. Track 3 had flashing yellow over solid green. How can a block be setup to run trains in both direction on the same track at the same time other than malfunction? It was similar to what I saw on Monday.

They have UP signs setup on Bloor St as well in the south stations windows.

From Pearson, you would have to walk about 90-120 minutes to Weston. From Union to Bloor at least 90 minutes if not more for both depending on your age and what you have with you.

Take transit, the better way or get a cab.
... I think you misinterpreted the question.

You can get the distance easily from Google Maps. How long a walk it is for a person depends.

At Pearson, it's 250m from the station to the closest check-in counters. 500m to the furthest. There are 2 elevator rides required.
At Billy Bishop, it's 530m from the Bathurst stop, following the tunnel, to the check-in counters. There's an elevator and a long escalator ride required.

You can get the distance easily from Google Maps. How long a walk it is for a person depends.

At Pearson, it's 250m from the station to the closest check-in counters. 500m to the furthest. There are 2 elevator rides required.
At Billy Bishop, it's 530m from the Bathurst stop, following the tunnel, to the check-in counters. There's an elevator and a long escalator ride required.

What elevator rides are required at Pearson?

For Billy Bishop, they show build some kind of covered walkway from the Bathurst stop to the tunnel entrance. Must be a pain during a winter blizzard.

I believe one elevator ride would be required from arrivals (Level 1), to Level 1 Canadian/US gates, or to International departures (Level 3).

http://maps.torontopearson.com/gtaa/overview-mapV2.jsp

For domestic travel (which makes up about 90% of my travel).....the ramp from the parking/train area ends at a level in between departures and arrivals.

If you use one of the kiosks to check in for your flight....there is a bank of them on that "mini" level.....then you can walk around the stairs and proceed through security. Of course you can also do this if you have checked in prior to leaving the city or on route to airport on train. So no stairs/elevators/escalators.

If you need to actually go up to departures to check in at a desk (or access US/International departures) it is one escalator ride up from the mini level.....or, I guess, you could walk past the escalators and find the elevators.

If you use one of the kiosks to check in for your flight....there is a bank of them on that "mini" level.....then you can walk around the stairs and proceed through security. Of course you can also do this if you have checked in prior to leaving the city or on route to airport on train. So no stairs/elevators/escalators.
Oof, you got me. I last took the LINK in 2012, so I apparently forgot that it has just a ramp to get to the connecting bridge.
So that means just 1 escalator for Pearson.

A covered walkway to Billy Bishop from Queens Quay would be a great idea, not just for the weather protection, but also because it would give the airport a presence at the nearest transit location. It would be the de facto front door of the airport.

Back