Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

What about trips which don't extend the entire line? Is it a flat fare, or is there a distance rate?

Also seeing as a Presto card costs about $6 and will likely be sold at Pearson, it makes infinitely more sense to buy one at the airport so the fare comes to $25. Of course, they could always decide not to sell them there so you are stuck paying the cash fare (according to the website, despite already being serviced by three Presto equipped systems, you cannot purchase one at the airport).

What about trips which don't extend the entire line? Is it a flat fare, or is there a distance rate?

Also seeing as a Presto card costs about $6 and will likely be sold at Pearson, it makes infinitely more sense to buy one at the airport so the fare comes to $25. Of course, they could always decide not to sell them there so you are stuck paying the cash fare (according to the website, despite already being serviced by three Presto equipped systems, you cannot purchase one at the airport).

It would make much business and logical sense to sell Presto at YYZ once UPX is done, especially for Pan Am. 19 is their bottom line so whatever extra they make is bonus

According to this:
http://www.torontopearson.com/Faq_b2b.aspx

Employee parking at Pearson is priced:
a. employee parking permit - $90.00/month (Value Park Garage)
b. cargo employee parking - $65.00/month (Cargo Area)
c. preferred parking permit - $250.00/month (either T1 or T3)
d. value card (multi terminal) - $325.00/month (both T1 and T3)

At $300/month, it's at the high end, but it could replace your parking pass. It's nearly equivalent to a preferred parking permit. I don't think we'll be seeing employees who work down on the tarmac using these passes. It's still a premium service.

Last edited:
So, being able to buy fares via smartcard is now also considered to be "copying" montreal?
Having worked in BOTH Toronto and Montreal...
...I can say from a public transit perspective, some things are rather nice. Their equivalent of Presto, for one. The much better artwork of many (not all) Montreal stations, to the efficient system-wide OPUS smartcard that I can easily buy and/or refill at any Montreal Metro station -- even refill dollar value or add a pass, by credit card or Interac -- there's some elements TTC should copycat (can't freakin' use Interac to even merely buy subway tokens at all. And Presto: Umm, you're joking?).

So, yes, duh. ;)

Last edited:
Airport employees only (they need to have an airport employee ID). Doesn't apply to regular commuters (say, Weston to downtown).

You know, it will be interesting to see how this affects properties and gentrification around stations. The premium fares and quality of service (wifi, cushy seats, etc), along with the high frequency, may encourage some folks who work in the business district to locate near Dundas West and Weston. They may not mind paying the high fare, and for younger professionals it allows them to raise a family in a more attractive place than Liberty Village or City Place.

Don't be surprised if these areas look vastly different in 10 years compared to today.

FYI, the commuter fare is $10 or $300 for a monthly pass.
$300 sounds like a lot, but the 2015 GO monthly fare from Union Station to Malton or Pearson (which would require an odd use of trains and buses) is already $231.

I wonder how much airport employees have to pay for parking? Hmm, $65 to $325 depending on where - http://www.torontopearson.com/Faq_b2b.aspx

Last edited:
I think no matter what the cost, some people will use it, because I've seen the crazy amounts of money people spend on things even if they can't afford it.

However, I think these prices are still kinda bullshit. That $300 for an airport worker's monthly pass is actually $435 because they still have to get TO the UPX line using the TTC, so they'll need that pass too. It's the same bullshit we have with GO. You buy a pass, but then you still have to pay for the TTC because you don't work at Union Station, you work at College, or Wellesley or something. We need GO/TTC/UPX all integrated and charged by zones like in places like London with maybe a few dollars thrown on the UPX cost for its convenience. But the city would rather pander to people who cry and moan that they should be able to get from Scarborough to Etobicoke for 3.00. And then I have to pay 3.00 to get from the Eaton Centre to Yonge and College if it's raining. But that's a rant bigger than just UPX so I'll stop. lol

At 22 bucks each way, (that's 3.00 to get from College to Union, then the 19.00 Presto fare), I think I'll just eat the extra 20 mins it takes to take the 192 Airport Rocket for a total of 3.00. Sucks, but what are ya gonna do?

Some additional discounts from the pricing strategy:

* 50% for children ages 6-12
* 100% for children < 6 y.o.
* 15% for students and seniors
* up to 56% for families
* 50% for:
** "meeters and greeters" - return trip within 3 hours originating from Union, Bloor or Weston
** "long layovers" - return trip within 6 hours originating from Pearson
* 4% for normal round trip

While many tourists won't have the card, I'm sure they could buy one at Pearson station. Still, tourists usually don't count the pennies they spend abroad (speaking from experience), so shouldn't be a big hit for them.
On the other hand, there are no excuses for locals to not have Presto.

Metrolinx definitely accounted for this. A cynical view: foreigners are subsidizing the UP Express.

Airport employees only (they need to have an airport employee ID). Doesn't apply to regular commuters (say, Weston to downtown).

Seems reasonable; Weston to downtown has regular GO service. The UPX only has 1 unique stop and it's only going to attract one type of commuter.

Last edited:
Metrolinx definitely accounted for this. A cynical view: foreigners are subsidizing the UP Express.

A less cynical way of saying the same thing....the citizens of Ontario (the ones most likely to have a Presto card) having paid for the construction of this are getting a local discount on their fares.

As for airport employees.......I read once that 75% of them live in Peel so this is not a factor for them.....assuming the other 25% all live in Toronto (not likely) it is a fairly small population of people and they have made a choice to live where they live relative to where they work....choices have consequences and if $300 is too much they can either:

1 Drive and park
2 Use the TTC
3 Move to Peel

The same(ish) locational and transportation choices that commuters from all over the GTA face every day.

Yes there is a table in the document with the fares.. e.g. For adults Weston to Pearson would be $11.40 with Presto, $16.50 without. Bloor to Pearson $15.20 with Presto, $22 without.

However, I think these prices are still kinda bullshit. That $300 for an airport worker's monthly pass is actually $435 because they still have to get TO the UPX line using the TTC, so they'll need that pass too.
Will it? The report indicates that 3% of Pearson workers were using the airport express bus. These might well be people who live walking distance from Union. I can't imagine that most of 3% took TTC to get to the airport express bus.

Also, it's less than $300 with the federal tax credit, which would be $45 on $300. The effective cost would only be $255.

At 22 bucks each way, (that's 3.00 to get from College to Union, then the 19.00 Presto fare), I think I'll just eat the extra 20 mins it takes to take the 192 Airport Rocket for a total of 3.00. Sucks, but what are ya gonna do?
That's probably what I'd do. But if I lived walking distance from Union, this would be tempting.

Yes there is a table in the document with the fares.. e.g. For adults Weston to Pearson would be $11.40 with Presto, $16.50 without. Bloor to Pearson $15.20 with Presto, $22 without.
For some reason the document doesn't have the Weston to Bloor, Weston to Union, and Bloor to Union fares. However this was in a document shown to reporters at the press conference:
B4f-CFyIgAAP2Pj.jpg
So with Presto, Bloor to Union (and Weston to Bloor) is $11.40 and Weston to Union is $15.20. Same price structure basically from Weston to Union as from Bloor to Pearson.

Attachments

• B4f-CFyIgAAP2Pj.jpg
    B4f-CFyIgAAP2Pj.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 543

Time comparisons:

* Bloor GO-Dundas West to Pearson - Line 2 → 192 Airport Rocket - 42 min [vs <20 min UPX?]
* Weston GO - 52A Lawrence West - 30 min [vs <15 min UPX?]

So it's less of a deal than travelling from Union, but you still halving your trip time. It's up to the individual to decide if its worth the extra cost.

Back