Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Time comparisons:

* Bloor GO-Dundas West to Pearson - Line 2 → 192 Airport Rocket - 42 min [vs <20 min UPX?]
* Weston GO - 52A Lawrence West - 30 min [vs <15 min UPX?]

So it's less of a deal than travelling from Union, but you still halving your trip time. It's up to the individual to decide if its worth the extra cost.
Union to Bloor is 10 minutes on GO. So if UPX is 25 minutes, then Bloor to Pearson would be about 15 minutes.

Would be tempting to jump off the subway with luggage at Dundas West, if they actually build a direct connection one day.

This is being constructed now, is it not?
Not that I've heard. They haven't got an agreement with the land owner (Crossways). It's a stairway to Bloor, and then walk the current route across Dundas and up to subway station. It won't be much better than the current transfer from Main to Danforth. That's a tough walk with luggage in the snow. I'd be likely to simply stay on the warm subway in the winter to the express bus at Kipling, and stay indoors the entire trip to Pearson.

Not that I've heard. They haven't got an agreement with the land owner (Crossways). It's a stairway to Bloor, and then walk the current route across Dundas and up to subway station. It won't be much better than the current transfer from Main to Danforth. That's a tough walk with luggage in the snow. I'd be likely to simply stay on the warm subway in the winter to the express bus at Kipling, and stay indoors the entire trip to Pearson.

This confused me, why can't the city/province just expropriate the part of the parking garage that they need, or at least threaten to do so? They have eminent domain and all.

It seems to me that they just don't want to deal with the expense of tunneling and are happy to let people blame the intransigent mall owner rather than add a complication/expense that might threaten the PanAm games deadline, even if it doesn't affect operation/opening of the line itself.

I was sure I saw them install concrete boxes under the Lower Galt sub to facilitate the connection. Is it the remaining gap between that and the subway platform that needs to be negotiated with the Crossways?

Kudos to Metrolinx -- I was dreaming for a longshot $15 with a realistically expected $29.

$10 for airport employees. That's actually reasonably attractive considering you will spend pretty much almost that much in gasoline average daily, if you're driving a SUV all the way from downtown in daily gridlock (Well....at least before gas prices fell!)

Understandably very expensive compared to TTC or GoTrains, but now competitive for a pair/couple catching a taxi versus the UPX. This number is not too far off the mark. They must have fought long and hard, a big Presto discount is extremely clever. It allows them to profit from tourists (Who likely won't have bought a Presto card), while satisfying commuters. At this price and a flight to catch, downtowners (including couples) such as Financial District businesspeople, and "condo boom" residents, will be taking this instead of anything else going to Pearson. And the tourists will flock to it, being cheaper and faster than taxi for a travelling couple. The trains (much shorter than GoTrains and subway trains) will mostly fill, no problem.

The prices won't make everyone happy....
...but it assures that these trains will be very popular.

Go transit from Union to Malton station is $6.80 ($6.12 for presto users) so just over a 50% increase. Which when you consider this is an express route and, for example, TTC express routes charge a double fare I'd say that is pretty competitive.

Go transit from Union to Malton station is $6.80 ($6.12 for presto users) so just over a 50% increase. Which when you consider this is an express route and, for example, TTC express routes charge a double fare I'd say that is pretty competitive.

Not only that....if your actual destination is the airport UPe gets you there.....GO to Malton does not!

I was sure I saw them install concrete boxes under the Lower Galt sub to facilitate the connection. Is it the remaining gap between that and the subway platform that needs to be negotiated with the Crossways?
As far as I know,yes. But I've seen misleading stuff coming out of Metrolinx that may imply something is going on ... though if that were true, I don't know why they are being so veiled about it.

The Union Pearson website is pretty clear that "Customers will be able to access the station from Bloor Street and from a passenger pick-up/drop-off area." with no mention of the subway anywhere.

Some photos of the station and train from today's presser:

Dec 2014 - UP Express by Metrolinx, on Flickr

From Metrolinx's Flickr page.

Last edited:
I guess there is no fare integration with TTC, correct?

For the fare charged, there should be a free transfer to the TTC system. It would be a good opportunity to advance the fare integration issue, especially if Presto Cards are being accepted.

- Paul

What is the capacity of each train? Seems to me that even with standees, the train will hold about a 100 people. That means 400 people per hour, which will fill at most two flights per hour or one Virgin Atlantic Jumbo.

Back