Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

if that is true, I figure many would be pleasantly surprised, but how were they able to come up with this price model to begin with? its almost a $10 difference. Perhaps 19 is the bottom line while
the 27.50 is the traveler/business elite rape rate.

I expect many travellers will not have a Presto Card.

While many tourists won't have the card, I'm sure they could buy one at Pearson station. Still, tourists usually don't count the pennies they spend abroad (speaking from experience), so shouldn't be a big hit for them.
On the other hand, there are no excuses for locals to not have Presto.

$10 for airport employees.

Overall, much better than expected. Still don't care too much for the UP model, but it being what it is I can't really complain about these fares.

From Oliver Moore on twitter:
$19 to ride upx with a presto card. $27.50 without the card
Kudos to Metrolinx -- I was dreaming for a longshot $15 with a realistically expected $29.

$10 for airport employees. That's actually reasonably attractive considering you will spend pretty much almost that much in gasoline average daily, if you're driving a SUV all the way from downtown in daily gridlock (Well....at least before gas prices fell!)

Understandably very expensive compared to TTC or GoTrains, but now competitive for a pair/couple catching a taxi versus the UPX. This number is not too far off the mark. They must have fought long and hard, a big Presto discount is extremely clever. It allows them to profit from tourists (Who likely won't have bought a Presto card), while satisfying commuters. At this price and a flight to catch, downtowners (including couples) such as Financial District businesspeople, and "condo boom" residents, will be taking this instead of anything else going to Pearson. And the tourists will flock to it, being cheaper and faster than taxi for a travelling couple. The trains (much shorter than GoTrains and subway trains) will mostly fill, no problem.

The prices won't make everyone happy....
...but it assures that these trains will be very popular.

Last edited:
While many tourists won't have the card, I'm sure they could buy one at Pearson station. Still, tourists usually don't count the pennies they spend abroad (speaking from experience), so shouldn't be a big hit for them.
On the other hand, there are no excuses for locals to not have Presto.

I guarantee you, most Torontonians do not have a PRESTO card. I have one, only because I'm a transitfan and I use GO to travel to Brampton occasionally.

Fantastic!

With this pricing structure, business users who can afford to pay more will be paying more, while locals will be getting a steep discounted rate.

I guarantee you, most Torontonians do not have a PRESTO card. I have one, only because I'm a transitfan and I use GO to travel to Brampton occasionally.

Most Brampton Transit users didn't have a Presto Card either... that changed, as will be the case here in Toronto.

More pricing info:

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 663
You can buy OPUS cards at all Montreal subway stations. Wait till TTC copycats that, and has presto vending/refill machines in all subway stations by 2020. When that happen, most TTC-using Torontoians will have one by then. Of course, this excludes the staunch and loyal steering wheel users who doesn't even know where the nearest bus stop is...

Last edited:
Not daily but I'll take it once a month from Dundas West.

FYI, the commuter fare is $10 or $300 for a monthly pass.

Airport employees only (they need to have an airport employee ID). Doesn't apply to regular commuters (say, Weston to downtown).

You can buy OPUS cards at all Montreal subway stations. Wait till TTC copycats that, and has presto vending/refill machines in all subway stations by 2020.

So, being able to buy fares via smartcard is now also considered to be "copying" montreal?

Back