Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Because of the confined space available in the Weston Tunnel, they are using concrete ties in there. Concrete ties don't generally need to be worked on or replaced as often, so the hope is that by doing this that they won't have to go in there for anything for a good length of time.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Thanks for the explanation!

Yeah, once Mt. Dennis station is up, they should probably remove Weston Station from UPX. If Tory and team cannot find a way to get SmartTrack to the airport, maybe they can just continue Smarttrack up this corridor all the way to up to Weston Station, then Etobicoke North and maybe even up to Malton.

I've heard comments that the UPX Weston stop was just to appease the community. But I have always thought it was a way to try and re-develop the area, and gentrify it a bit.

Doesn't seem to be working so far.

Metrolinx has been saying that for years. It's in some of the Eglinton Crosstown documents. Not exactly news ... and I believe we've discussed previously.

I was under the impression that only the GO station at Eglinton was confirmed. The UPX station was possible but I don't think they've confirmed it to this level. But whatever, it's not a big deal either way.

I was under the impression that only the GO station at Eglinton was confirmed. The UPX station was possible but I don't think they've confirmed it to this level. But whatever, it's not a big deal either way.
It was also stated at Metrolinx Board meetings. Have to wait until 2022 for it and no rush to put it in now as well having no money for it at this time.

Yes Weston station was place there to quell the opposition folks.

Has there been an official document? I thought all that had happened was that a Metrolinx employee had commented at a public meeting that they've made an allowance for adding a UPX stop at Mount Dennis, and intend to do that at some undetermined point in the future.

Has there been an official document? I thought all that had happened was that a Metrolinx employee had commented at a public meeting that they've made an allowance for adding a UPX stop at Mount Dennis, and intend to do that at some undetermined point in the future.
I think it is in the UPX master plan from what I remember, but I maybe wrong.

It was also stated at Metrolinx Board meetings. Have to wait until 2022 for it and no rush to put it in now as well having no money for it at this time.

Yes Weston station was place there to quell the opposition folks.

2 years after the eglinton line opens? That sucks. Although, the eg line could be delayed anyways :)

When I pestered someone at the project recently on a different question, an internal drawing that I was shown actually had the stop noted on it. That is far from a "decision", but it left me with some confidence that that the bureaucracy might actually have been instructed to start taking the "proposal" seriously in their actual plans. From small beginnings......

- Paul

I've heard comments that the UPX Weston stop was just to appease the community.

That was my understanding. Personally, I hope the Weston stop is only used by the UPX until AD2W GO is implemented on the Kitchener Line, so that they can switch Weston to just service that line instead. I suspect that most of the opposition came from the fact that there would be many trains passing through, but none actually stopping, outside of the Kitchener Line trains in rush hour. With a good level of GO service, the need for the UPX there becomes largely redundant.

The agenda for the Dec 11 Metrolinx meeting is posted. None of the publicly available reports mention the UP Express fares. Will likely be reported in a closed session.

The agenda itself:
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/agendas/agendas_2014_12_11.aspx

Still a lot of interesting UPX updates in here

An additional four A-cars (front and end vehicles) arrived in Toronto in November and have begun commissioning activities. The remaining six A-cars are in Rochelle, Illinois for final assembly and testing and will arrive in Toronto by the end of the year.

All six of the C-cars (middle vehicles) have arrived in Rochelle, Illinois and are undergoing final assembly and inspection. The first of these units will leave Rochelle for Toronto in January, with the complete C-car fleet in our possession by the middle of February.

Procurement of the vendor for the airline check-in kiosk project is proceeding with March 2015 as the goal for project completion. This project is a core element in ensuring a seamless experience for our guests departing from Union, Bloor and Weston Stations and enabling them to check-in to their flights

Retail partnerships have been awarded. Construction and fit out of retail space is underway and will be completed in March 2015.

Further requirements for the corporate accounts program have been gathered as discussions with prospective clients proceed. Prospecting has been expanded to both Ottawa and Vancouver.

In September, there was significant media coverage speculating on the fare policy for UP Express and questioning the payment to the GTAA of an access fee. Metrolinx staff have continued their discussion with the GTAA on the access fee matter, and a recommendation is to be tabled with the Metrolinx Board of Directors on December 11th, on the proposed fare policy. The strategy is aligned with our fare principles and includes variable pricing based on distance and types of users (PRESTO card users, children, seniors, airport employees, etc.).

Notable things:
A lot of sub-components are targeted at March completion. That means, optimistically, service sometime in April.
The fare policy is still appearing at the meeting. It's quite likely that it will be in the UPX update that has 30 minutes scheduled. This is not the in camera section of the meeting.

The agenda itself:
The fare policy is still appearing at the meeting. It's quite likely that it will be in the UPX update that has 30 minutes scheduled. This is not the in camera section of the meeting.
Yes, that seems very likely.

Given the extremely explosive nature of the issue, I'd assume they are holding back on letting that report out publicly until either the last minute, or until they make an announcement about the fares sometime in the next couple of days.

Big Union Pearson Express announcement coming tomorrow morning.

See Patrick Searle's Tweet "Big announcement tomorrow morning from Premier @Kathleen_Wynne and Transportation Minister @StevenDelDuca https://vine.co/v/OrQK05IzYgd #onpoli".

Could be related to fares, could be regarding the electrification plan, but I think it is most likely a progress update. Wynne and DelDuca are doing the announcement, so its probably just a way to underline this government's proactive stance on transit.

See Patrick Searle's Tweet "Big announcement tomorrow morning from Premier @Kathleen_Wynne and Transportation Minister @StevenDelDuca https://vine.co/v/OrQK05IzYgd #onpoli".

Could be related to fares, could be regarding the electrification plan, but I think it is most likely a progress update. Wynne and DelDuca are doing the announcement, so its probably just a way to underline this government's proactive stance on transit.

It will be related to the fares.

Agenda item 10 for Thursday's Metrolinx meeting - http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/agendas/agendas_2014_12_11.aspx - hasn't been released, unlike all the other public items. It most likely contains the fare information, that will start leaking pretty quickly once they start distributing the reports to the board members. Metrolinx has already said the fare information would be public on Thursday, so presumably this Wednesday announcement is simply an attempt to get ahead of the news reports that will start coming out tomorrow.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that we'll find the fare information at... sometime tomorrow (still a dead link right now).

Edit - I was wrong. The information is at http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...11/20141211_BoardMtg_UP_Express_Update_EN.pdf and http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd..._Express_Pricing_Strategy_Staff_Report_EN.pdf

Last edited:

Early Christmas present: "UPX is advancing so far ahead of schedule that we have begun to tender contracts for electrification!"

wakes up from pipedream........ =_=

Back