Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

I am almost positive that Drum118 has likely already named this date but in case he hasn't....I just read that the first GO train will pass through the Weston tunnel on December 15th.

Presumably the first inbound train in the morning ...since that leaves Bramalea at 5:54 in the morning....that is way too early for me....so if anyone else is up that early it would pass through Weston at around 6:10.

From twitter:
‏@GTS_Project said:
The Old Weston/Junction Road reopened to vehicles and pedestrians today. http://ow.ly/i/7Mpm7
owrd.jpg

Attachments

• owrd.jpg
    owrd.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 494
Presumably the first inbound train in the morning ...since that leaves Bramalea at 5:54 in the morning....that is way too early for me....so if anyone else is up that early it would pass through Weston at around 6:10.

Actually, that would be the third train through the tunnel. It deadheads up from Willowbrook via Union Station, as does the 5.55 Mount Pleasant train. They should pass through there northbound around 5.10 and 5.20 that morning.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Actually, that would be the third train through the tunnel. It deadheads up from Willowbrook via Union Station, as does the 5.55 Mount Pleasant train. They should pass through there northbound around 5.10 and 5.20 that morning.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

As always, folks, there are people to listen to who know way more than me ;)

From link:

The good news:

Old Weston/Junction Road Now Open

The Old Weston/Junction Road reopened to vehicles and pedestrians on Monday, December 1. Traffic is flowing freely across the new bridge over the lowered GO rail corridor. We understand that this has been a long process but we are happy to say that road traffic will no longer have to wait for GO train traffic to pass. Thank you very much for your patience throughout the closure as we worked to lower the GO rail corridor below the road and CP Rail traffic.

The bad news:

[h=2]December 1-12: Overnight Work and Temporary Lane Restrictions[/h] Project: Weston Road Bridge
Work: There will be some overnight work and temporary lane restrictions on Weston Road to upgrade the sanitary sewer system underneath Weston Road. Road signage will be installed at least one week prior to the work beginning to inform motorists and the community about the lane restrictions.
Timing: Weston Road will have lane restrictions (one traffic lane in each direction) at the intersection of St. Phillips Road weekdays between 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Weston road will be restricted to only one traffic lane, between St. Phillips Road and Oak Street, for three nights between 9:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. the next day to complete the sanitary sewer connections. We will update you on which nights once they are confirmed.

Yeah, it pissed us off. It was amazing how much congestion was relieved when it was opened, and then we went back to where we started.

Also from the November update: trains will start using the Weston tunnel on December 15.

The sidewalk on the east of Weston Road at St. Phillips Road also needs to have concrete poured as well

Will that be the end of at grade crossings for trains between Bramlea and Union?
No, there are still a few, but will be gone in the next year or so as construction has started on them.

No grade crossing east of Derry Rd in Mississauga to Union.

CP will still be grade crossing in Weston

Will that be the end of at grade crossings for trains between Bramlea and Union?

No, there are still a few, but will be gone in the next year or so as construction has started on them.

No grade crossing east of Derry Rd in Mississauga to Union.

The only two remaining grade crossings between Brampton and Union are Scarboro St and Torbram Rd, in northeast Mississauga. I can't remember what's happening to these crossings...

The only two remaining grade crossings between Brampton and Union are Scarboro St and Torbram Rd, in northeast Mississauga. I can't remember what's happening to these crossings...

Regarding Torbram, details [PDF] here.

Sorry if this has been covered but three questions:
1) Do we know when GO Transit will release the new schedule for the Kitchener Line post-GTS completion?
2) Do we have a sense if any reverse direction trains will be introduced? IE Westbound from Union to Brampton (or beyond in the mornings); Eastbound Brampton to Union in the afternoons/evenings
3) Any expectation that weekend service will be added?

Regarding Torbram, details [PDF] here.

Sorry if this has been covered but three questions:
1) Do we know when GO Transit will release the new schedule for the Kitchener Line post-GTS completion?
2) Do we have a sense if any reverse direction trains will be introduced? IE Westbound from Union to Brampton (or beyond in the mornings); Eastbound Brampton to Union in the afternoons/evenings
3) Any expectation that weekend service will be added?

1) there has been no formal word but some knowledgeable posters who have proven reliable in the past have indicated that even though GTS is to be complete in the spring of 2015....there will be no changes in schedule until September of 2015. Seems introducing service after the Pan Am games is the reason/rationale

2) there is an expectation that there will be some reverse direction (as you describe them trains) but not all day 2 way hourly service or anything like that.

3) Again, nothing official, but GO/ML have consistently replied to communications from me that there are no plans to introduce weekend rail service at this time.

1) there has been no formal word but some knowledgeable posters who have proven reliable in the past have indicated that even though GTS is to be complete in the spring of 2015....there will be no changes in schedule until September of 2015. Seems introducing service after the Pan Am games is the reason/rationale

No, that was not the reason at all. Crewing is the issue. It was never going to start until the middle of the year at best - the Pan Am Games simply pushed that back by a couple more months.

2) there is an expectation that there will be some reverse direction (as you describe them trains) but not all day 2 way hourly service or anything like that.

That's your expectation, and you should make that clear.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

No, that was not the reason at all. Crewing is the issue. It was never going to start until the middle of the year at best - the Pan Am Games simply pushed that back by a couple more months.

Honest mistake (was not trying to skew my answer) but i thought the completion of GTS was spring...I guess I fell into the trap of thinking Spring was March 21 when it could just as easily, I guess, be June 21. It is why construction schedules often give seasonal estimates of completion.....it creates an inherent 3 months of flex and also makes any delays seem less (ie. a spring project delayed to summer seems like one unit of time....but could be as much as 6 months ;) ).

As for the Pan Am thing...it still baffles me that would delay the introduction of service at all. I hear all the "crew shortages" but they have had, what, 5 years to prep for, both, the Pan Ams and GTS completion and to have an event that is subject to discussion about how it creates more congestion actually delay (if only by a few weeks/months) the introduction of a transit service/expansion just seems bizarre.....but I think we discussed this a while ago and it honestly was not my intent to taint negatively my answer to trudeau1982....sorry if it came across that way.

That's your expectation, and you should make that clear.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Again, I thought there was a very long discussion around what kind of schedule was possible with "the up to 29" trips that GO/ML are planning (13 more than today....6.5 new return trips) and I thought there was general agreement that what was possible with that number of trips was something less than hourly bi-directional service. Again, was not trying to skew or re-open any wounds....just was trying to answer a fellow poster's question.

Back