Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Almost as if on cue...I was reading an article about the cost of flight travel today. While I generally think these things are largely meaningless I was forced to smile as I looked at the table to see where Canada ranked and, after our conversation yesterday, who the two countries immediately adjacent to us were.

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2014/08/26/flights-in-india-are-the-cheapest-in-the-world/

lovely chart.
However, Norway's household income is $60K, compared with $37K in Canada, which means in affordability terms, it is a lot more expensive in Canada.

I wonder how much sense it would make to sell the UPX

Probably even less sense than privatizing the 407. It all runs on Metrolinx infrastructure, selling it to a private entity would just complicate operations. Let's not get started on the forgone annual revenue, we'll just re-start this argument over prices and profitablility, and frankly I'm quite bored of that debate on this thread already.

I fail to see how it is "premium" service.
How so? do they provide free premium coffee on the train? Do they help you with the luggage? Do they offer luxury lounges at Union or Pearson? Any other perks?

If it is only because it makes only two stops, and have wifi, come on, that's hardly "premium". I just don't see how it is "designed" as premium except for the possible premium price.

There are plenty of express airport trains that make few or no stops on the way to downtown among western countries. Give me one reason why Toronto's should be considered "premium" compared to them and command higher price.
The fact that you asked about the lounges makes me think you haven't made a lot of effort to acquaint yourself with what is planned here. But you don't see how it is designed as premium, or know that GO outsources train operations. Okay then.

Mind you, Windows 2003/IIS for the website (which I've been having some issues accessing) doesn't yell premium to me.
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.upexpress.ca

Last edited:
I love it...........in Vancouver YVR CONTRIBUTED $200 million to build the Canada Line right to it's front door whereas in Toronto the people have to pay Pearson for the inconvinence of having to put up with "transit" line on their property. This is of course made even worse by the supposed transit authority of Metrolinx giving it it's blessing to charge people for not driving to the airport.

Also, forget Oslo, London, or Tokyo..........the best comparison anywhere on the planet to UPX is Denver's East rail Airport line and compared to it, Toronto's is a huge failure. Turn it over to the TTC and let them run it on standard TTC fares. Not only would it actually do Torontonians some good but the line's revenue at 43/ride would still be MUCH higher than at $30 ticket because instead of getting 5,000 passengers a day they would get 150,000.

What fixed operating budget? The operating subsidies for GO Transit have been increasing for years.

They've been increasing but not in relation to the level of service provided. It is fixed relative to the amount of passenger fare revenue collected. The subsidy as a %age of revenue hasn't fluctuated very much.

Metrolinx can't go to the province and ask for $30M more to run X service at a 50% discount and expect to receive it.

Last edited:
Why? It's public transit.
It's not.
Their operating subsidy is fixed.

Which regular GO trains would you remove from service in order to run these short-bus alternatives?

Or, would you instead opt to increase all GO fares by 10% to subsidize this airport service?
Exactly.

Bruce McCuaig says it's not a bus or a commuter train and none of your silly motions are going to make it so, Council.
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/20140826_Letter_to_Joe_Pennachetti-UP_Express.pdf
Humph metrolinx. This is why people criticize government agencies

What's frustrating about this whole debate is that anyone who has followed the development and construction of the UPX will have known that it's being designed as a higher-price, premium express service and not really a form of commuter rail, and would've known this for many months now. We on this board were getting upset over what the whole GTA is waking up to just now back in the beginning of this year or earlier.

Saddest part is this has to make a profit, or it's a not a success.

Turn it over to the TTC and let them run it on standard TTC fares. Not only would it actually do Torontonians some good but the line's revenue at 43/ride would still be MUCH higher than at $30 ticket because instead of getting 5,000 passengers a day they would get 150,000.

That would be a big problem. The trains have a capacity of 180 with a 3 car consist which is the maximum the platform can handle. That is 720 people per hour, or over a 24 hour period 17,280 people max, but of course for the 7 hours that Pearson is under curfew there are hardly any passengers, so more like something similar to the ridership of the 17 Birchmount bus. If you don't get on the train the next one is in 15 minutes and you could miss your expensive flight. People visiting Toronto would be pissed. A ridership of 5,000 represents about 50% of the capacity of the system which, considering there are peak periods, could lead to some full loads.

Last edited:
^Pearson operates 24/7 there is no curfew....lot less operations overnight but there is no curfew. that said...I don't think UPe is planned to operate 24/7

Last edited:
Ssiguy - Denver East Line got $1bn in Fed cash. UPX got bupkis.

UPX got $500 million from Queen's Park to pay for 100% of the spur line and the rest of the project was GO upgrades program. Also remember that the Denver Line is 22 miles and the UPX only 22 km.

As far as capacity, yes I know the stations are short but they could run trains with higher capacity with more typical rapid transit seating and runt them at 3 or 4 minute frequency levels. I appreciate that would require more trains but once the trains arrive that kind of capacity, even for diesel trains, is certainly easily accommodated. Three minute frequency is a piece of cake for any electrical powered system especially with almost 100% ROW and few stations. Those things of higher frequency and maximum capacity trains could easily allow for 6 or 7 times it's current capacity. None of the stations are underground, though not sure about Bloor} so station extensions should be reasonable easy and affordable especially because there are few stations to begin with.

Back