Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

i don't think the schemes terrible, just unbelievably boring.
Anyway I'm quite happy with the way the DMUs look in the video, they're much sleeker than I previously thought. Heres hoping they look as good in real life

There is a tender out to rehabilitation of the bridges at Bloor Station for both lines and closing in March. I am assuming this does not include the new 4th track bridge that only went in over a year ago.

Do you have a link for that?

This could be interesting work to watch, depending on how far they do with "rehabilitation". The installation of the new bridge shut down Bloor for at least 1 weekend.

The second part of the Strachan overpass looks like its coming along quickly.

its going to look rather silly for a few years though as it will look really overbuilt, 3 tracks in one underpass (already finished) and 2 in the other.

The second part of the Strachan overpass looks like its coming along quickly.

its going to look rather silly for a few years though as it will look really overbuilt, 3 tracks in one underpass (already finished) and 2 in the other.

I guess it goes up faster when you don't have to stop for trains all the time ;)

Why is there a track that switches off the Oakville sub by the signal gantry, goes around it, and then reconnects to the mainline?

Why is there a track that switches off the Oakville sub by the signal gantry, goes around it, and then reconnects to the mainline?

That's the "Western lead", it connects the Oakville sub with the Weston/Galt sub. Its about 1 train length long(12 pack) with a 10mph speed limit. It allows for trains in Bathurst yard to exit westward and access the Oakville sub and proceed to Willowbrook without having to reverse back towards Union and take up value track time, via a series of crossovers. Though seldom used for that purpose now,more often its been used by equipment trains coming down the Weston sub for the same reason.

I think I've seen things parked on it, but I could be imagining that.

The standby consist is normally parked there Mon-Fri during the rush hour(s). Parking it there allows for the quick routing of it into any of the tracks at Union station while being out of the way of all other movements during that time.

Last edited:
Is there a map anywhere that names the various rail subdivisions in the GTA? I can normally figure out what people are talking about, but it would be really useful and interesting to see a map that explains it all.

Lakeshore East = Kingston
Stouffville = Uxbridge
Barrie = Barrie (I think)
Kitchener = Georgetown
Milton = Milton (I think)
Lakeshore West = Oakville

Lakeshore East = Kingston
Stouffville = Uxbridge
Barrie = Barrie (I think)
Kitchener = Georgetown
Milton = Milton (I think)
Lakeshore West = Oakville

Not quite;

Lakeshore East = Kingston/Go(both metrolinx)
Stouffville = Kingston/Uxbridge(metrolinx)
Barrie = Newmarket(metrolinx)
Kitchener = Weston(metrolinx)/Halton(CN)/Guelph(CN, GEXR lease)
Milton = Galt(CP)
Lakeshore West = Oakville(metrolinx)/Hamilton(CP)
& Richmond Hill = Bala (half GO/CN)

But there's no shame in not knowing, its not exactly public/readily accessible information.

Here's a map that will help shed some light;
8582222472_5d1dc18969_b.jpg

here's the link to the larger version https://www.flickr.com/photos/69004511@N03/8582222472/

Has GO bought the Canpa sub yet?

Why would GO want the Canpa sub? The only benefits it would have for GO if it wanted the CP Obico Yard that Hunter Harrison recently closed; the logical connection to the Oakville Sub/Willowbrook would be difficult unless GO bought the Kenlea steel company property on Horner to build the south to east track(s). I believe GO is committed to running Milton Trains via the Galt Sub through the Junction as the grade separation at Strachan was built for eight tracks and it's congested as it is though Mimico and Exhibition.

Back