Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Sure. Pearson has tentative plans (as in, it's a possibility) for a partially enclosed LRT station in the ground level of T1.

Anyway, assuming Finch West is built to Humber College, the easiest way to bring high capacity TTC to Pearson AND intercept a frequent GO service is to extend Finch West to T1. Incidentally, this was a Metrolinx idea.

Was that ever included in the Master Plan for the airport, or the design for T1 in specific?

And an elevated stop is somehow grander? A loop at ground level where public transit currently stops could certainly be built to have a bit more grander than a simple LRT stop and doesn't need to be elevated. In fact I kind of wish that the GTAA had built an underground transit hub to accommodate LRT, Heavy Rail, and buses rather than the sort of hodge podge that has happened, although it makes no sense to build something (and incur the costs) if you don't expect it to be used in 10 - 20 yrs.

I'm just saying a simple surface stop with a few shelters like the ones planned for most of Transit City I don't think would be sufficient at this location. Perhaps it doesn't need to be elevated per say, but I think it should be something beyond what looks like a streetcar stop on steroids. At this location, perhaps more than almost any other, perception and impression is important.

And yes, I would have hoped that a provision would have been made for some kind of local transit hub when they built the terminal, especially because it's relatively new. I know Ottawa's "new" terminal (circa 2003) made such a provision in the form of a gap between the parking garage and the upper departures deck, with pedestrian walkways between the terminal and the garage one level below that deck. IIRC correctly, it's wide enough to support 2 tracks and a central platform.

Was that ever included in the Master Plan for the airport, or the design for T1 in specific?

Not that I am aware of. They also did not include, that I noticed, the air-rail link in their master plan but they did design in space for it when T1 was built.

They tend not to include things in the master plan which require significant efforts of a 3rd party.

Last edited:
Not that I am aware of. They also did not include, that I noticed, the air-rail link in their master plan but they did design in space for it when T1 was built.

They tend not to include things in the master plan which require significant efforts of a 3rd party.

Damn you for making me go get all researchy.

Pearson's last two master plans came out in 1999 and 2008 (the current one).

The relevant chapter of the 1999 Airport Master Plan has a really bizarre option included: a Union-Pearson rail link that would branch off Georgetown GO, go as far as a proto-Viscount APM station, then force a transfer to the APM for final journey to T3 and new T1. That seems to me to the worst of all worlds in terms of options. There's also reference to a potential Renforthwards extension of the APM.

Between the 1999 Master Plan and the 2008 Master Plan, they firmed up the final design of the new T1 (with reserved space for the T1 rail link station), settled on a cable-propelled APM, figured out the extension of the APM out to additional parking.

The equivalent chapter of the 2008 Master Plan includes the rail link on what appears to be the same alignment as the EA. It moved ever-so-slightly after Metrolinx took over the project.

Damn you for making me go get all researchy.

I'm glad you did and thank-you for correcting my statement.

I mis-spoke when I said they didn't show it at all. They show what the 3rd party has publicly committed to. It would be weird if they released a document which didn't include the air-rail link at all after it was in the press.

You won't see designs for the regional transportation hub on airport lands until after Metrolinx releases more details about it; but we know from meetings on the subject that Pearson is open to using the lower level of their terminal expansion for this (with a funding contribution).

The relevant chapter of the 1999 Airport Master Plan has a really bizarre option included: a Union-Pearson rail link that would branch off Georgetown GO, go as far as a proto-Viscount APM station, then force a transfer to the APM for final journey to T3 and new T1. That seems to me to the worst of all worlds in terms of options. There's also reference to a potential Renforthwards extension of the APM.

Right. Collenette (former Minister of Transport, self described train buff) began speaking publicly about funding such a spur shortly after he put in that position ('98?), so they included it in their plan. He also got VIA funding and mused of a national high speed rail network.

For transit, the Transit City plan is included in the 2008 document and includes only what Miller released. I believe the GTAA plan was released before the province published Big Move (September 2008).

What additional elements they may have considered while designing are not published.

Last edited:
^The various tracks aren't going to be rigidly locked to one service or the other. And, as far as I know, the plan is to only build three to start and leave space to add the fourth later.

Also, I recall seeing that image a long time ago and I'm pretty sure it's been on that website for ages now, so I don't know why the sudden surprise.

Last edited:
My understanding is that GO is going to electrify 3 tracks along the corridor for the UPX, so it won't be completely rigid, but it won't be really messed up either.

My understanding is that GO is going to electrify 3 tracks along the corridor for the UPX, so it won't be completely rigid, but it won't be really messed up either.

There will only 3 tracks built north of Dundas St for the time being with provision for the 4th to be install when the need for it arise down the road.

3 tracks from Union to the Airport cutoff will electrify, but will have provision for more tracks. The overhead mast north of Dundas will cover the 4 tracks from day one, but not wire for the 4th track. The 4th track is to be on the east side north of Dundas.

Aecon group presented a video about what it will look like the future station of Toronto Pearson for UP express
[video=youtube_share;XTXmhbaStBM]http://youtu.be/XTXmhbaStBM[/video]

Last edited:
It may be too much to wish for, but I really hope they change the colour scheme for the trains. This drab yellowy-brown colour does nothing at all for me.

There is a tender out to rehabilitation of the bridges at Bloor Station for both lines and closing in March. I am assuming this does not include the new 4th track bridge that only went in over a year ago.

All Metrolinx colours need to be change 100% including the new scheme.

Back