Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

None of the plans I have seen show the parking structure being extended in the direction of T2, If that is what you mean, only another station for the Link train will be added, the terminal building will follow around the curve of the southern end of the parking structure,

I stand corrected. Took another look and yes the parking structure will not expand. Sorry

I stand corrected. Took another look and yes the parking structure will not expand. Sorry

Although they have identified long term plans to extend the parking structure and the the main terminal building to the north in the area where T3 currently is, whenever that terminal needs to be replaced. This means of course that the ARL guideway would be in the way of the expanded parking structure.

Although they have identified long term plans to extend the parking structure and the the main terminal building to the north in the area where T3 currently is, whenever that terminal needs to be replaced. This means of course that the ARL guideway would be in the way of the expanded parking structure.

If you are talking about post-2050 preliminary plans, then yes. However, that would also require reconfiguration of most, if not all, 409/427 ramps...

However, there are no immediate plans (ie, nothing in the next 30 years) to expand T1 beyond Pier H and I as shown here:
http://www.torontopearson.com/uploa...P - Chapter 7 - Roads Transit and Parking.pdf
Pages 10 and 14 give a good diagram of future plans.

The garage expansions are very minor in these plans, and would not interfere with ARL.

Last edited:
Some fresh images from @TomWilliams6891 on Twitter showing these three pairs of people-mover pillars getting crossbeams to support the ARL:
BJB-gjrCYAA_2qW.jpg

BJB_kZpCUAILSff.jpg

BJB_uUkCUAAdj5l.jpg

Attachments

• BJB-gjrCYAA_2qW.jpg
    BJB-gjrCYAA_2qW.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 390
  • BJB_kZpCUAILSff.jpg
    BJB_kZpCUAILSff.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 377
  • BJB_uUkCUAAdj5l.jpg
    BJB_uUkCUAAdj5l.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 410
As drum mentioned, Metrolinx is clear-cutting the Georgetown south corridor alongside the West Toronto Railpath. With spring now here the extent of the damage is now becoming clear. North from Bloor GO:

You can call this damage, but another track is going in at that location and its good sound protection for GO transit. Growth ran wild in the corridor since CN wasn't willing to spend money dealing with it before selling it off the Metrolinx. This only happen in the last month as they were still there in Feb when I was last there.

The main reason Metrolinx is removing everything in their corridor is to stop leaves, branches and other objects falling on the tracks and stopping service or cause an accident.

Yes a lot of people will loose large trees along their backyard that act as a sound, wind barrier as well shade that are currently on Metrolinx land. They can ask to have them replace on their property and but will require a set back if it happens if allow.

Metrolinx will replace every tree over 12" with 3 new ones for every one remove. A survey was done on this that shows where the 12" trees and above were located. They will work with the city and communities along the corridor as to where to place them as well what type that will benefit everyone, even putting them on private property or in someone back yard. Landscaping will also be part of the talks.

The ROW belongs to who every owns it and they have the right to do what every they want to meet their needs.

Metrolinx will not come out officially about the reason for the sound wall, but it is to stop people using the tracks as a short cut to get from one side to another. Its is also why they want the 5m ones to stop people climbing over them.

Access from one side to another is a major issue. Both the City and Metrolinx needs to look at this from a pedestrian point of view as it not fund to waste times to walks blocks to get where you want to go to compare getting into a car and drive there. Its also the same issue with highways.

The main reason Metrolinx is removing everything in their corridor is to stop leaves, branches and other objects falling on the tracks and stopping service or cause an accident.

That is a very convenient thing to be telling people, but that is not why they are doing it.

Transport Canada smacked CN's proverbial pee-pee about 3 years ago for allowing vegetation to grow to the point where not only did the public have poor sightlines at level crossings, but crews were having issues with viewing signals and signage. They then put out a circular to all of the railways telling them that they need to keep on top of this. CN has been doing this throughout Southern Ontario for the past 3 years, and since GO Transit is now an operating railroad they too need to keep up with plant growth in the ROW.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Metrolinx will replace every tree over 12" with 3 new ones for every one remove. A survey was done on this that shows where the 12" trees and above were located. They will work with the city and communities along the corridor as to where to place them as well what type that will benefit everyone, even putting them on private property or in someone back yard. Landscaping will also be part of the talks.

The ROW belongs to who every owns it and they have the right to do what every they want to meet their needs.

Metrolinx will not come out officially about the reason for the sound wall, but it is to stop people using the tracks as a short cut to get from one side to another. Its is also why they want the 5m ones to stop people climbing over them.

Not disputing that. But it's still damage. Railpath is changing from an award winning park to just a ribbon of asphalt, I fear. If the big fence goes in especially, it will be very ugly, and very hot. Mlinx's plan is to spread these trees around to buy off the neighbourhood. Far better to plant them densely on the other side of the Railpath. And they should be going in right now, to catch this growing season.

Not disputing that. But it's still damage. Railpath is changing from an award winning park to just a ribbon of asphalt, I fear. If the big fence goes in especially, it will be very ugly, and very hot. Mlinx's plan is to spread these trees around to buy off the neighbourhood. Far better to plant them densely on the other side of the Railpath. And they should be going in right now, to catch this growing season.

This is exactly what I fear about the Railpath. A big part of the attraction is riding a bike or jogging next to a rail corridor with wide, long views. I don't want to see that blocked by a big ugly concrete wall that will give the path all the appeal of a penitentary exercise yard.

So now I am hearing that a jogging path is more important that an extremely important regional rail corridor that served a huge portion of southern Ontario rail traffic. Don't get me wrong, the rail path is nice, but it is nowhere near as nice as all day 2 way service to half of the GTA, VIA rail service to southern Ontario, a rail connection to the airport, and freight rail.

^Then you're not hearing correctly :p

What I'm reading is a discussion about: what is the purpose of clearcutting? Is the sound barrier desirable? How can the changes be ameliorated? Is Metrolinx paying sufficient attention to this remarkable piece of infrastructure as they work on their expansion?

On the last, I think not. Whn they acquired this project a few years ago, nobody at Mlinx had ever heard of Railpath. I doubt their thinking has changed.

^Then you're not hearing correctly :p

What I'm reading is a discussion about: what is the purpose of clearcutting? Is the sound barrier desirable? How can the changes be ameliorated? Is Metrolinx paying sufficient attention to this remarkable piece of infrastructure as they work on their expansion?

On the last, I think not. Whn they acquired this project a few years ago, nobody at Mlinx had ever heard of Railpath. I doubt their thinking has changed.

I know! Don't you love it how some people sometimes take what you say and twist it?

You don't need a 5 metre concrete wall to stop people crossing tracks if that's the supposed intent, because the few people who illegally enter the corridor don't normally climb the existing 1-2 metre chain link fences, they cut through breaks or cut the chain link. A one metre concrete wall with transparent metal fencing (hopefully attractive) above would do the trick plus keep the Railpath from feeling like the American-Mexican border.

Last edited:
You don't need a 5 metre concrete wall to stop people crossing tracks if that's the supposed intent, because the few people who illegally enter the corridor don't normally climb the existing 1-2 metre chain link fences, they cut through breaks or cut the chain link. A one metre concrete wall with transparent metal fencing (hopefully attractive) above would do the trick plus keep the Railpath from feeling like the American-Mexican border.
Just electrify the fence.

The tracks are being cleared for a reason.. The space the trees took up will soon be replaced with train tracks. The sound wall is to help quell the wishes of the local communities as they are complaining about noise.

The tracks are being cleared for a reason.. The space the trees took up will soon be replaced with train tracks.
No, that's not it. True in some cases, but not the reason. They've been doing the same on the Lakeshore line last year. It's just routine maintenance, cleaning out vegetation that's grown up, and shouldn't have ever have been there, but grew up with CN becoming lazy over the years.

Back