Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Just received an email advising me that the plan work for Black Creek will take place March 22 now.

Does anyone know where design for Etobicoke North station can be found, or at least when design will happen if has not yet. All I can find on Metrolinx's page is that the station platforms will be moved West to be closer to the parking lots, a kiss and ride loop will be installed in the North lot, and that a new North platform will be constructed (not sure if a South platform will also be built).

In my opinion this station could benefit with some better interconnection with the area (read: TTC)

Was passing by today... they made a lot of progress. The support columns have the concrete deck laid all the way until the Viscount Link station. Pretty impressive. Sorry, but couldn't take pictures.

UP Express On Track With New Station at Terminal 1
http://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2013/03/up-express-on-track-with-new-station-at-terminal-1.html
BFVM03cCIAEv_8p.jpg:large

The rollercoaster at the airport will be out of action for 10 months due to the construction. Maybe they can use the time to fix the ride.

Shuttle buses will be used every 3 minute most of the time.

Not sure where the EA stands on electrifying by 2017!. If 2017 is the date, equipment has to be order next year or late this fall.

Does anybody have clear picture or zoomed one inside Terminal 1 UP station?
I am interesting to see how they can share platform the Pearson Link train and UP train..

Last edited:
I am interesting to see how they can share platform the Pearson Link train and UP train..

Here a March 2006 shot
1141813247_0b844535dd_b.jpg

Last edited:
I thought the equipment on order was built to be converted to electric operation?

Still, the trainsets will need pantographs and other electromotive equipment; substations will have to be built and equipped and catenary installed and energized. Four years from now would be great, but the go ahead decisions will have to be made very soon to have all that in time.

There is no way any trains are going to be electrified by 2017. I think far more likely he meant that the electrification project would be signing contracts in 2017, either that or he was saying that the Toronto experience will be "electrifying".

My understanding is that the UP train will come from the other direction than the LINK train. IE, LINK train approaches from the West and UP Train approaches from the East. I will have to look through the design drawings to be sure though

There is no way any trains are going to be electrified by 2017. I think far more likely he meant that the electrification project would be signing contracts in 2017, either that or he was saying that the Toronto experience will be "electrifying".

It's possible it could be done by then.

If the funding report is on time this summer and if that new revenue stream is approved of quickly (Spring 2014 budget) then the ARL could be electrified by 2017. It wouldn't take more than a year to ground everything in the corridor and union station and put up overhead.

The question is, do all the bridges between the airport and Union have the necessary clearance? Bathurst and Highway 427 are the only 2 I can think of which haven't been touched recently and both appear from a distance to be fine.

Kitchener would require a lot more work but ARL electrification could be completed in 3 years.

If the Liberals and NDP vote in the new revenue stream then they will both want as many contracts as possible active during the election both to make themselves look good and to make it much more difficult for the opponent to remove them as part of the election.

If they wait for new taxation to be their mandate (voted in by public) then yeah, it's not happening by 2017.

Back