Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Most trains now have video cameras to record incidents. However, trespassers may continue to use any railroad tracks as a short cut. Fencing, sound barriers, may help, but hopefully the addition of pedestrian tunnels or bridges along the Georgetown corridor will help.

just want to make sure that as a neighourhood develops, that new additional pedestrian crossings will be built in the future, as needed. The crossings currently going in now, should not be the only ones.

Strachan Underpass. Photo taken 28 February 2013.

IMG_3273_1-L.jpg

I don't think there's much point discussing electrification in Greater Toronto unless Metrolinx are forthcoming about where they stand with CN and CP and whether those companies made similar flat refusals to consider electrification of shared trackage as they did to AMT, and therefore to what extent this compromises any future build out of electrification either permanently or by adding significant track acquisition and construction costs to the "just string the wire" estimates provided by the Weston electrification proponents. Short of the feds doing some legislating and probably some significant time in the courts the rights CN and CP may hold over this can't be wished away.

I'm still seeing comparisons up thread of UP's DMUs with temporally segregated EuroDMUs (O-Train) and completely segregated light metros (Canada Line). If people have to compare something with UP then Trinity Rail Express' use of Budd RDCs and Trirail & WES' use of Colorado Railcar "FRA DMUs" is more accurate in equipment terms because you have to account for them using and crossing tracks used by 288,000lb locomotives.

Last edited:
Metrolinx owns the corridors that They plan to electrify, meaning CN has no right to block electrification.

Although most of the corridors targeted for electrification are Metrolinx-owned, some segments that would be needed (like through Brampton) will likely stay under CN ownership.

Although most of the corridors targeted for electrification are Metrolinx-owned, some segments that would be needed (like through Brampton) will likely stay under CN ownership.

As would the section west of Oakville, correct? Or did Metrolinx buy that too?

Metrolinx owns the corridors that They plan to electrify, meaning CN has no right to block electrification.
We haven't seen the contracts, so we don't know what conditions there were on the sale. If things didn't work that way, MLSE wouldn't have been able to sell Maple Leaf Gardens with restrictions on future use (or even naming).

We haven't seen the contracts, so we don't know what conditions there were on the sale. If things didn't work that way, MLSE wouldn't have been able to sell Maple Leaf Gardens with restrictions on future use (or even naming).

I think if there were "no electrification, ever" provisos put on the corridors as they were purchased, Metrolinx would have noted that in their electrification study. Indeed, digging into the study's documents a bit it looks like CN was on the technical advisory committee, and I certainly can't remember them making any public comment at that time that might have cast doubt on the feasibility of the whole idea.

I don't know what might have been different about Montreal that got them sounding so much sourer.

while not for Georgetown or Lakeshore west, most of Lakeshore East is not only owned by metrolinx, but was built by GO as well. CN runs on parallel tracks to the GO tracks through Durham Region. (no track sharing whatsoever)

As for montreal, could they have been proposing to have the wires so low that CN's taller cargo wouldn't be able to fit under?

As for montreal, could they have been proposing to have the wires so low that CN's taller cargo wouldn't be able to fit under?
Is it possible that the cargo is higher in Montreal? When they move it from the port, to the CN yards?

Just a thought ... I have no idea ... though I was just looking at some Google Streetview images around the Port of Montreal, and they double stack the containers on the flatcars - and I do recall seeing this around Montreal, but I don't think I've noticed it happening around the GTA. Here's one link - https://maps.google.ca/maps?&hl=en&...d=-hcuOu-lCeSaGRH4PQJoTA&cbp=12,75.11,,1,3.51

It doesn't work like that for railroads. The only kind of prohibitive assurances metrolinx owes CN is running rights and maintaining access to their yards and serviced industries along the corridor. Other than that GO's free to electrify and rearrange the tracks however they like.

Corridor update as of Feb 28

Some update Info:

VIA Rail will be using the Barrie Line for March 8 weekend, as the current track #1 over Black Creek will decommission with a new bypass track on the new #2 bridge being place.

The existing bridge will be strip to have it match track #3 bridge that still to be finish and then will become track #4 when it goes back into service in 2014.

Ray St will be close starting in May until 2014 for the building of the new bridges. TTC buses will be on detour during the closure and the buses from the Dennis Garage will use a different route to get in/out.

Eglinton Ave will loose a lane in each direction starting May until 2014 to allow the building of the new supports for the new 3 track bridges as well the bridges. Provision has been made for the LRT.

Construction on the new station platforms at Weston Station will start in the fall. Once the new platforms are built for the new track #1, #2 and #3, the current track #1 will go out of service so the temporarily platform will be rebuilt like the new one. The new station will be built and ready for service in late 2014.

Crews are getting ready to move to the west side of Weston Rd to build the new retaining wall and support for the new 3 track bridge. Once completed including the bridge, the existing bridge will be remove including the centre support and a new bridge will replace it with no centre support.

Electrification will require to be higher than double stack containers at about 25'

The City and Metrolinx are looking at a plan and timetables when roads around this project are rebuilt and repaved with Metrolinx pickup the lion share.

Back