Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

As far as diesel not being polluting, I just don't know where you are getting that.

He literally sited his source right before your reply...

Pollution is bad for you which is one of the many reasons why major world cities don't run or run very few diesel trains. Pollution is a real health concern particularily along corridors with large diesel locomotives. For those who think diesel isn't an issue I can only assume that you would have no problem with Metrolinx saving the catenary costs by running DMU units under Eglinton instead of electric LRT.

Uhh, what? Running diesel trains through a ~20km tunnel would require a boatload of ventilation, even more than what is currently required. That would substantially add to the cost. And there's a good reason why London stopped running steam trains in the Underground about a hundred years ago...

Comparing an open-air line to a line that will run primarily in a tunnel is ridiculous.

Electrification is the norm in most of the world and certainly in the industrialized world with the exception of the US

In case you didn't realize, we have a lot more in common with the US than the 'rest of the world'. Right or wrong we're more likely to follow in their path. And when I consider our standard of living I think we're mostly on the right path. But you are clearly wrong for attempting to blow this issue up into some cataclysmic and unmitigated disaster.

Truth be told, I would personally love to see this corridor electrified myself.
I mean if anyone can rightfully complain about how terrible it is to be exposed to large amounts of diesel exhaust it is those who will actual operate the trains.

But lets be honest, the real reason why we feel this way is because we personally stand to benefit from it and not because of some altruistic ideal, that it would be for the greater good of the citizens of Toronto or Ontario.

And don't try to b***s*** me that it would be. As if you've actually computed that the net benefit of spending x amount of money to electrify the line would be of greater value than spending that money elsewhere i.e. in healthcare, education, policing, etc. Now it may turn out to be such, but your currently in no position to make such a definitive proclamation. You are after all an anonymous forum member on UT with unknown credentials. But, if you actually think that eight or twelve(depending on the configuration) 750bhp tier 4 diesel engines running 20 hours will be dramatically worse than the 1.2 million car trips per year(3,290 vehicle trips per day from Union) it will displace, your as diluted as a Leaf fan thinking this will be the year they win the cup.

After reading your posts I actually wonder if you realize that no matter where you live every breath you take will be contaminated with dangerous microorganism and environmental pollutants and that your being irradiated with an average of 0.87 mSv/a of radiation from cosmic and terrestrial sources for every second of your life. Point being as much as you would like you can't seal yourself into some bubble and think you can eliminate every possible treat to your well being. But there are choices you can make for yourself. I would love to work in an environment where I would not be exposed to diesel fumes at all. But this job is a choice I made. Just as living by the tracks themselves is a choice that you made for yourself. And we are both free to pursue other options, no one is holding a gun to our heads to stay where we are. Sure, perhaps we stand to lose much if we decide to leave our situations and no, that's not fair. But that's life mate, its inherently unfair. Ultimately the benefits of my situation out-way the negatives for me. Does the same really not apply to you? Based on the argument you've presented I highly doubt it. Furthermore, do you really honestly believe that whining about your own personal dilemma on a public forum is going to change the outcome in your favor? I think not and you most certainly won't be receiving any sympathy from me. And whining is exactly what you sound like throwing out ad-hoc pseudo facts to support your flawed arguments.

As for why you can't run diesel trains in a tunnel, its simple physics.
You can't run them without the proper ventilation because the exhaust gases would legitimately become concentrated to harmful levels in an inclosed space. Installing a complex ventilation system would obviously increase the overall costs of the project. Hence the solution is to electrify the line, which of course enables other benefits. However in the open the exhaust gases are quickly diluted to harmless levels by the atmosphere. That is unless you live right on top of the tracks. But unless you built such as house just yesterday, I'm pretty sure you don't since I saw no such structure on my last run on the Weston sub a short while back. :)

I'm not aware of any other city that runs a diesel train to it's airport.
I've seen diesel engines at both the train stations for London Gatwick and Birmingham International airports. Come to think of it, the only other airport I've flown into that I can recall having mainline heavy rail (as opposed to light rail or subway) into it is London Heathrow, which while only having electrified trains, certainly has no shortage of diesel buses at the terminal - there's nothing like a whiff of early-morning outdoor air at Heathrow to tell you, your in England.

Quite frankly, I expect the emissions of all the service vehicles running around the airports are far worse than the trains.

The following needs to be repeated over and over again: the Paddington rail corridor in London, one of the busiest in Europe, is almost entirely diesel and directly abuts some of the most expensive real estate on the planet in Notting Hill and Ladbroke Grove. No one seems to mind.

I was under the impression that both railcars and corridor were going to be electrified soon after launch, but that doing so from the beginning wasn't possible because they needed it for the Pan-Am Games.

Stansted Airport station is also served by diesel trains, though the dedicated trains to Liverpool Street are electric. Another airport-downtown link served by diesel trains is not very far away: Dorval to Central Station.

Stansted Airport station is also served by diesel trains, though the dedicated trains to Liverpool Street are electric. Another airport-downtown link served by diesel trains is not very far away: Dorval to Central Station.

Pierre-Trudeau Airport isn't directly served by rail. A few VIA trains serve Dorval, and you need to take a bus to the airport.

Come to think of it, the only other airport I've flown into that I can recall having mainline heavy rail (as opposed to light rail or subway) into it is London Heathrow, which while only having electrified trains, certainly has no shortage of diesel buses at the terminal.

Really? That's not my experience. Most airports in the German world I've flown to are served by mainline rail. Ditto for Schipol in Amaterdam.

Not sure if you'd class Paris RER as 'mainline rail' (I would...), but CDG is also served by HSR.

Most airports I've been to in Japan are also served by JR or private mainline rail line. Definitely Kansai and Narita.

Was I misunderstanding your comment? Surely it seems as though mainline rail pretty commonly serves airports.

Pierre-Trudeau Airport isn't directly served by rail. A few VIA trains serve Dorval, and you need to take a bus to the airport.

You can get a quick shuttle over from the terminal to the train station.....that said, the 747 bus is a great service. I travel to Montreal about 6 times a year for business....typically they are 2 day trips......for about the last year I have been using this service.

Not only does it get me to my hotel in as quick (maybe quicker sometimes when you factor that very long wait at Dorval for a cab) than a taxi it is a huge savings. Take the bus from the terminal to the first stop Lionel-Girouix metro station then transfer to tube for the rest of the trip....if you buy a return ticket for $18 it also includes 3 full days of metro. My travel expenses for Montreal trips have been greatly reduced.

What pollutes more? A 4800 hp locomotive hauling 70+ heavy freight cars, or a 3 engine DMU where each engine is roughly 500 hp hauling 3 light passenger rail cars?

I agree that we need electrification but I think the issue is being used to cloud things. Why suddenly demand electrification here? What about elsewhere in the network? What good is electrification if CN continues to use massive diesel locomotives on it's freight trains.

I think IMO that electrification must begin at Union station's trackage. Until there is electrification there (which arguably is busier than Weston, in terms of rail traffic) there is no incentive to run electric trains and electrify tracks elsewhere in the region.

Was I misunderstanding your comment? Surely it seems as though mainline rail pretty commonly serves airports.
Yes, I was referring to airports I've observed myself. I haven't flown into the ones you mention, other than Schiphol - where I've only ever changed planes, and haven't had opportunity to observed the trains.

Pierre-Trudeau Airport isn't directly served by rail.
He was of course referring to the proposed new service, not the current services to Dorval provided by both VIA and AMT.

The following needs to be repeated over and over again: the Paddington rail corridor in London, one of the busiest in Europe, is almost entirely diesel and directly abuts some of the most expensive real estate on the planet in Notting Hill and Ladbroke Grove. No one seems to mind.

This rail corridor will be fully electrified by the time Crossrail opens, so train service to Reading will no longer use diesel trains.

This rail corridor will be fully electrified by the time Crossrail opens, so train service to Reading will no longer use diesel trains.
What? Most of the Reading services from Paddington are going elsewhere. Are you saying that all the services from Paddington to Reading and then onto Fishguard, Penzance, Oxford, the Cotswold Main Line, etc. are going to be electrified?

Is it even physically possible to put catenary through the Severn Tunnel?

What's your source?

Electrification of the entire Great Western Mainline through to Swansea has been announced, though the Severn tunnel has been acknowledged as a difficult spot.

Electrification of the entire Great Western Mainline through to Swansea has been announced, though the Severn tunnel has been acknowledged as a difficult spot.
Interesting ... doesn't seem as though the timeframe is clear though - I can't imagine it will be done before Crossrail opens.

But even then, doesn't cover Fishguard, Cotswold Main Line, Penzance ... or even Plymouth! So maybe covers 40% to 50% of the traffic outwards from Reading? Perhaps a bit more ... I have to confess I haven't sat at Reading for hours waiting for a train for a few years.

That's still a lot of diesel on the Crosstown corridor into Paddington with no electrification plans in place. I wouldn't be surprised if Georgetown is fully electrified to Mount Pleasant for decades before there's no diesels running into Paddington.

Edit .... fascinating. Thanks for that. I had no idea there were any plans of electrification west of Maidenhead. I spent a lot of time in the 1970s to 1990s taking trains out of or through Reading (well 1960s too, but I won't pretend to remember). Still, it's early days yet ... remember, we were down this road back in the 1970s, before Thatcher cancelled all the electrification plans ... and they are still running the same Intercity 125 diesel engines that they were using in the 1970s.

Last edited:

Back