Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

That's what I thought too. An Eglinton LRT/streetcar line would be great as a hook up for people coming from mid-Etobicoke, York, even North Toronto, particuarly for employment services. Being underground for much of it's length, the Eglinton line *should* be relatively fast. It works as one of a series several rail-based transit options to Pearson.

That does not eliminate the need for regional rail hookups to Pearson at all.

Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere in the thread, however in regards to issues of frequency and service to Weston and other neighbourhoods etc..... has anyone looked at versioning the proposed link so BOTH a local (cheaper) service with 8 or 10 stops ... and a direct/express service ($20), share the route?

I realize this impacts frequency but fewer express trains/LRTs would still be an attractive option (I'd use it)... just requires a bit of planning on the part of passengers.

Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere in the thread, however in regards to issues of frequency and service to Weston and other neighbourhoods etc..... has anyone looked at versioning the proposed link so BOTH a local (cheaper) service with 8 or 10 stops ... and a direct/express service ($20), share the route?

I realize this impacts frequency but fewer express trains/LRTs would still be an attractive option (I'd use it)... just requires a bit of planning on the part of passengers.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet in this thread but your proposal seems like a no-brainer to me. Share the route with a semi-frequent local service and an express terminal-to-union link. I'm of the mindset that wants to tell all the Nimbies in Weston to go screw themselves. Toronto will remain in the dark ages until it gets a fast rail link between the financial and cultural core the airport. It is embrassing that foreigners do not have this option.

I think that if there was a service the Weston residents could use (rather than all the grade separations and closed accesses all for a premium express train that's useless to them) there would be a significant softening of opposition in Weston. A S-Bahn type service that would provide them with a service is exactly what many there want, and 3D's proposal kind of does this.

The Weston NIMBYs had many good points - a project that had a serious conflict of interest involving SNC Lavalin, a project that would essentially split the neighbourhood more than it already has, with no benefit to them in the project as planned, a private service that raises questions. They aren't just grumpy people complaining about a new highrise blocking their views, it's much more complex, so I think it is much to just say "screw the Weston NIMBYs".

I also don't think the mere lack of an airport rail link for suits on expense accounts decides whether Toronto is "in the dark ages".

I also don't think the mere lack of an airport rail link for suits on expense accounts decides whether Toronto is "in the dark ages".

Could care less about the 'suits'. They take cabs or limos anyway. I'm talking about everyone else who uses the airport.

But you're right, telling Weston residents to screw off it a bit harsh. There needs to be an acceptable compromise but, in the end, an airport link is vital. And as a non-suit who lives downtown and uses the airport frequently (and who has a lot of foreigners over), I believe it has to happen as quickly as tomorrow, or yesterday if possible.

Pearson isn't that far from the city centre, especially when compared on a world-wide scale where Mirabel-type situations are more common. That's why the debate between non-stop express and adding in a few local stops perplexes me so.

The plans for Blue 22 called for optional stations at Woodbine Racetrack and Bloor anyway. With bus connections, decent service to the communities along the line could be provided by stations at Kipling (Etobicoke North), Lawrence (Weston), St. Clair, and Queen. That's only 4 more stations. With electrification, we're talking adding an extra 3 minutes or so onto the trip. It seems unlikely that travellers of any form, be they tourists or business travellers would be willing to pay for a 25-minute trip, but see a 28-minute trip as being out of the question.

Even if they mixed express and local trains, would you still specifically schedule yourself so that you can save 3 minutes or so?

^^ Shouldn't take 25 or 28 minutes. Should take 8. That would be an ideal system to travel at fast speeds over, as you point out, such a short distance. Again, this is more pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking than actual reality.

By my measurements, Union to Pearson is 25km. Doing the trip would require an average speed of 188km/h. Toss in acceleration and deceleration, and that probably means a top speed of 250km/h or so. Is there really any need for that? Normally people look to travel at high speeds over LONG distances.

But you're right, telling Weston residents to screw off it a bit harsh. There needs to be an acceptable compromise but, in the end, an airport link is vital. And as a non-suit who lives downtown and uses the airport frequently (and who has a lot of foreigners over), I believe it has to happen as quickly as tomorrow, or yesterday if possible.
40 years ago, an expressway link across midtown Toronto was deemed "vital". And it had to happen as quickly as tomorrow, or yesterday, if possible. And its champions were prone to telling Annex residents to screw off, so to speak...

40 years ago, an expressway link across midtown Toronto was deemed "vital". And it had to happen as quickly as tomorrow, or yesterday, if possible. And its champions were prone to telling Annex residents to screw off, so to speak...

40 years ago I would have disagreed those proponents. I sitll, however, believe that a rail link between Union and Airport is long overdue. Above ground, below ground, invisible... I don't care. Just think it to be vital to the benefit of the whole city and region. Ideally, we'd have a more sophisticated and thorough transit map. Included in the system would be a rapid link that between the airport and union with a companion line with regular statation stops to provide local service through the neighbourhoods.

But while your points are well made, I still believe that, although not all passangers from Pearson go to downtown, there is a still a need to explore a proper and viable connection to Pearson. I'm not an advocate of the Blue 22 plan but I'm not an advocate of abandoning all efforts to create the link either.

I just think we have more important transit projects to worry about right now. Things like Blue 22 or the Spadina extension to VCC are NOT priorities. Expanding the Yonge, Bloor, Danforth, and Sheppard lines are all more important.

I say the Sheppard should go to the SCC and downsview.
The Spadina should go to York University, but no further.

Bloor should go to Square one and then build a subway line on top of the 427 up to Pearson.

Danforth should include the Scarborough RT but i don't see where you could extend it to...

Yonge into York Region but no further then Highway 7.

I think downtown has three subway lines crossing it and that is more then enough.

I included two links up to the burbs and i think we should because that would increase ridership a lot as there many people who would head both ways into York region and into Mississauga.

Back