Toronto Union Centre | 298m | 54s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

Yup.. that tower is definitely a looker.. The base will be the best part (not to say the rest of the jagged facade isn't)

Why is there 2 different Skywalk renderings?
One is very different from the other... is the different part maybe inside the tower portion? I like the newer funkier version, with the slits in the roof for lighting.

I'm impressed more with the base and the non-tower components, than I am with the tower.

Why is there 2 different Skywalk renderings?
One is very different from the other... is the different part maybe inside the tower portion? I like the newer funkier version, with the slits in the roof for lighting.

I'm pretty sure you're right about the inside/outside the tower thought.

Tampold seems to have a number of other projects in the design stage in town right now too - like a Temperance Hotel conversion of a small office block somewhere downtown. It's worth going through all the pics in the various categories.

Very 'tech' like looking building and I like the Simcoe street portion. But I'm a bit disapointed with the tower since I was really looking forward to the platinum colouring. Still, great density is coming to the area to extend the CBD westward.

Very 'tech' like looking building and I like the Simcoe street portion. But I'm a bit disapointed with the tower since I was really looking forward to the platinum colouring. Still, great density is coming to the area to extend the CBD westward.

Who cares about density when they rarely ever build something unique. The original would have been amazing and really different.

I realize that the renders don't look quite as fantastic as the original images that we were treated to, but the design looks quite excellent.

Two little details that may not stick out at first glance:
1. Station Street apparently will remain open. [Design 01 - Image 2; Concepts 01 - Image 2]
2. The Skywalk will be retained in its current form behind the Citigroup building, but will take on a new form to the west. [Design 01 - Image 4; Environments 02 - Image 3; Concepts 01 - Image 2]

I'm psyched by the design, and can't wait to hear that shovels are in the ground.

I'm impressed more with the base and the non-tower components, than I am with the tower.

I agree - the tower itself isn't anything special, and the blue glass seems so dated. The base of the building, however, has a some great lines.

Meh, we've seen all this before. There are sleek, blue (or whatever colour) glass buildings going up all over the area. This particular design aesthetic reminds me of suburban corporate building, only taller. Not bad, but not exciting either. Would rather see some more texture and organic (dare I say non-reflective) materials in new towers.

Just another thought...part of the reason tall, glass and shiney works well "at" (not "in") the Distillery (imo) and at College Park is because of context, and the juxtoposition of heritage/stone/brick with modern/glass/shiney. The reason why it seems to be less effective in this emerging west end business district is also because of context, and the simple fact that there is little else by way of other materials or styles for the glass and minimalism to play off of here. The buildings aren't bad, in and of themselves and in fact I quite like some of them. I would just like to see some developers breaking from the rote pattern established and taking a bit of a risk a la Distillery. Besides, wouldn't this be more akin to what emerged organically in the cbd to begin with?

exactly what many of us are saying... monoculture is never interesting. The last possible saving grace could be whatever might be in store for that parking lot at the N.E. corner of Front & Simcoe. Something of decent height with alternate materials could help to mix things up a bit...

if we keep complaining enough they might listen! it seems they are sometimes tuned in to opinions expressed in this sort of forum. maybe wishful thinking though.

Back