Toronto Union Centre | 298m | 54s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

Hey have we seen these renders before? They don't look very familiar. I really hope it does get built as well. It's really cool.

Good to hear this one may go ahead. I wonder if they will move forward before finding a tenant or if there is enough space being used for the network equipment?

New 'Carrier hotel' planned for Front St.
Proposed tower would house city's electronic nervous system
Greg Macdonald, National Post
Published: Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Toronto and East York community council yesterday approved a 36-storey telecommunications centre to be built on Front Street West.

The building, called a carrier hotel, will be the city's electronic nervous system, where several companies will house their networks side-by-side -- basically a giant server room with the capacity to connect Torontonians to various networks.

The proposed tower will replace the current carrier hotel at 151 Front St. W., which "is home to more than 150 telecommunications companies and is one of North America's most connected buildings," according to a company Web site.

The new centre will be more than five times taller than the existing structure and will have "the power to connect half a country," Peter Doering, vice-president of developers Northam Realty Advisors, told council yesterday.

It will also have a number of offices available for rent.

"This building will secure and sustain telecommunication capacity downtown," said Councillor Adam Vaughan.

The project will also create new jobs, and the neighbourhood will see improvements such as better sidewalks, he said.

Architectural drawings submitted to council show a thin, opaque tower facing north on the south side of Front Street.

Building schematics showcased various connections to the area's underground PATH system, as well as a publicly accessible route through the building that will connect the Skywalk to Front Street.

"This is an adventurous building," Mr. Vaughan said.

After negotiations with the city, the developers agreed to make the building as environmentally friendly as possible, with natural heating and cooling systems and an option for a "green roof."

Northam will also contribute $1.5-million for ''community development.'' Some councillors voiced their opposition to how the contribution was being allocated. An estimated $150,000 will go to affordable housing in Ward 20, but the nearest neighbourhood with that type of program is more than a mile away, said Councillor Kyle Rae.

Mr. Vaughan replied that the immediate area will receive the majority of the money while neighbourhoods that really need it get very little.

"From what I've seen of [such funding], the more affluent areas of my ward are benefitting while two blocks away the don't have locks on their doors," he said.

The development, which still needs to be approved by city council, would be complete by 2010.

Wow! Could this article be anymore wrong? It's a proposed office tower, on a parkade podium with a few telecom floors inbetween. 151 Front is staying as is.

Oh i was thinking that it was closer to University Ave.

It will be on top of the Skywalk, and directly north of the still vacant space west of the PricewaterhouseCoopers Tower, otherwise known as 18 York.

This is coming to the TEY Committee of Adjustment on May 6. SEE: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/cofa_tey_panel_a_pm_6may09.pdf

It would seem to be this development, with a new address. (MODS: Need to change title??)

20 YORK ST
File Number: B0031/09TEY Zoning CR (Waiver)
Owner(s): 20 YORK STREET
HOLDINGSı[
Ward: Trinity-Spadina (20)
Agent: KIM KOVAR
AIRD & BERLIS
Property Address: 20 YORK ST Community:
Legal Description: PARCEL LOT 23-1, SECTION INDEX D970:
LOT 23 INDEX PLAN D970, TORONTO BEING PART 1 ON PLAN 66R-14255
ENTRANCE ADDRESS FOR 171 FRONT ST W
THE CONSENT REQUESTED:
The subject site is located between York Street and Simcoe Street and south of Front Street. The applicant has
submitted an application to sever the west portion of 20 York Street which is directly behind 151 Front Street
West. The new lot will permit the construction of a 36-storey office tower. The proposed tower will have its
main entrance on Front Street through the existing eight-storey building. The proposed entrance through the
building will require lot additions and rights-of-way which have been described in delegated consent
application, File Number B0032/09TEY..
Retained Land Parts 9 and 10, Draft R-Plan
20 York Street
Parts 9 and 10 has 31.83 m fronting onto York Street and an area of 2799 m2.
No construction or any changes are being proposed to the skywalk or to the exterior of the four-storey National
Express Building.
Conveyed land Parts 7 and 8, Draft R-Plan
(Proposed address) 171 Front Street West
Parts 7 and 8 has 31.79 m fronting onto Simcoe Street and an area of 3301 m2. A 36-storey office tower will be
constructed on the new lot. The Site Specific By-law 595-2007 has been enacted for the development of the
office tower and related lands. No variances are required as a result of this application.

Then there is THIS application:

32. 151 FRONT ST W
File Number: B0032/09TEY Zoning CR (Waiver)
Owner(s): 20 YORK STREET HOLDINGS[ Ward: Trinity-Spadina (20)
Agent: KIM KOVAR
AIRD & BERLIS
Property Address: 151 FRONT ST W Community:
Legal Description: Parcel Lot 23-1, Section Index D970:
Lot 23 Index Plan D970, Toronto being Part 1 on Plan 66R-14255
ENTRANCE ADDRESS FOR 171 FRONT ST W
THE CONSENT REQUESTED:
The subject site is an eight-storey office building located in the southeast corner of Front Street West and Simcoe
Street. The applicant has submitted an application for lot additions and rights-of-way to permit the proposed 36-storey
office tower which is directly behind the site, to have its main entrance on Front Street through the existing eightstorey
building. The lot additions and rights-of-way for the two buildings have been described on the draft strata
reference plan. A site specific by-law 595-2007 has been enacted for lands which include the proposed 36-storey
office tower and the existing eight-storey office building as one development site. No variances are required relating
to this application. The land severance application to create the new lot for the office tower will be considered by the
Committee of Adjustment, File Number B0031/09TEY.

Last edited:
Wow....Finally this development is resurfacing, after a couple of years of siting in the back burner, just might be the right time to build this telecommunications office tower.:)

The changes of either of these going through now is less then 0 :p

I don't see why this one has a better chance than any other proposed office tower. It isn't exactly small at 500,000 square feet. However, that they are seeking to sever the properties now is only good news. I say it just jumped from a 0-5% to a 40-50% chance of breaking ground.

Last edited:
I don't see why this one has a better chance than any other proposed office tower. It isn't exactly small at 500,000 square feet. However, that they are seeking to sever the properties now is only good news. I say it just jumped from a 0-5% to a 40-50% chance of breaking ground.

I'm not saying this won't get built, just not for a while - a long while. 5 years maybe.

I'm not saying this won't get built, just not for a while - a long while. 5 years maybe.

Not sure why you quoted me but anywho ...

There is no reason not to believe something is in the works whether it be construction or liquidation. You just don't apply to the CofA for five years down the road. Of course, even the best intentions aren't always attainable.

Last edited:

Back