Toronto U Condominiums | 183.79m | 56s | Pemberton | a—A

The [intact] people want you to know they have no design sense.

Huge photo dump from today:

2TNZmcI.jpg

13M3Wb5.jpg

OqEzVcP.jpg

uLSwYYw.jpg

Q9hfBW6.jpg

fU1Eevu.jpg

TtwOLWB.jpg

7rMp5UO.jpg

Jxle73M.jpg

1w4gvWX.jpg

JieIpWu.jpg

And shortly after I left, a worker fell to his death. Just saw it on CP24

Absolutely terrible. I saw it on the news as well. Brings back bad memories of what happened on the Aura site as well only a few months ago.

Nice photos jack. The striped pattern forming on the balconies is a nice touch.

Looking for someone to blame.

The question is more 'how could it happen?' There are measures in place to keep people safe. Both Jack and I have had safety training now - we know what the rules are up there - and these guys who are up there know them so much more so. We have seen the occasional lapse when workers are in places where they are supposed to be tied into the restraint but are not… and things like this make me wonder if a guy was being a bit cocky.

Anyway, I know nothing about this particular circumstance, and I hope that we don't have to hear of any more fatalities on construction sites in Toronto, whatever the reason.

A good high school friend of mine, who I just saw on the weekend, is a foreman (electrician). Over dinner we were talking about how fast Toronto is growing yada-yada. He said he's done jobs atop Scotiabank (which I learned has windows at the very top in the mechanical rooms), the Spadina station mod. for the streetcars back in the 90's, office/condo work etc. and he said that nothing is more important than safety. Nothing. Safety is first, everything else is a distant second. Now there's a lot of men and women working on all these construction projects around the city - thousands, but two fatalities in just one year still seems too many to me. You'd think that safety in construction would also be everyone's top priority without exception - ever. I'm surprised there would be any occasional lapses in this day in age, but there clearly are, and this is the sad outcome.

I'm surprised there would be any occasional lapses in this day in age, but there clearly are, and this is the sad outcome.
Accidents happen. And they happen all the time. People don't always necessarily die, though.

From what I understand, the lad that fell last year at Aura was tied off in a fall arrest system, but a clasp on his harness failed and he fell. It could have been a defect, or it could have been worn and should have been taken out of service. But from what I understand, that's something that can easily happen to anyone.

It was only five years ago that four people died because of a swingstage failure in Brampton. Safety has certainly become much more stringent (to the point of absurdity, in a lot of cases, IMO), but that really isn't all that long ago. I think 16 people died last year on construction sites during traumatic incidents (doesn't included occupational-related diseases). That number definitely makes me think twice about a lot of things.

I suspect we will know soon how this tragedy happened. Very sad to hear about this. I definitely triple-checked my harness today.

Last edited:

Back