Toronto U Condominiums | 183.79m | 56s | Pemberton | a—A

Height for the tower components of the project is that the East Tower is limited to a maximum height of 185 metres (“m”) and the West Tower is limited to a maximum height of 155 m

Are these the actual new heights of the towers? I would imagine that if the West tower is on mechanical it wont be adding more floors.

I spent some time this evening (after a flick at the Varsity and a good dinner with friends) doing a visual inspection of U's west tower, counted it three times just to be anal, and I can report that the top floor of suites would be the 45th, and the amenities above would be on the 46th…

so yes, they have added a floor, and I assume they will in the east tower too. Changing the thread title and dataBase file to reflect that.

In regards to how many metres/feet tall these buildings are now, it's hard to know exactly what to think from that CoA report.

Application: New Building Status: Under Review

TORONTO ON

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 136882 BLD 01 NB Accepted Date: Aug 15, 2014

Project: Apartment Building New Building

Description: Revision to add 1 additional floor on each condo tower with a total of 18 new dwelling units (9 in each tower). See COA and OMB.

ua15.jpg

Attachments

• ua15.jpg
    ua15.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,146
Pretty crappy for a street front. Looks like they were trying for brualist architecture but made it look like a prison wall

The limestone does look better in person than in photos. But it would have been better if it was retail. Despite dropping the prices I think the builder has only been able to move two townhouses.

I have no idea why this city continues to make these kinds of amateur mistakes time and time again. There's no excuse for this. A main street in the downtown core(one of the more prominent streets in the country) and they line it with townhouses. LMAO! Who would want to live in a house that fronted Bay street anyways? This whole area should have been retail.

On top of that, who would spend an arm and a leg to live here? $2M plus maintenance fee? No backyard?

FAIL!

Last edited:
I have no idea why this city continues to make these kinds of amateur mistakes time and time again. There's no excuse for this. A main street in the downtown core(one of the more prominent streets in the country) and they line it with townhouses. LMAO! Who would want to live in a house that fronted Bay street anyways? This whole area should have been retail.

On top of that, who would spend an arm and a leg to live here? $2M plus maintenance fee? No backyard?

FAIL!

Agreed, just mentioned the same thing in a discussion with my gf. I wouldn't pay to live on busy bay, let alone 2 mill. That's just odd to me. Is it too late to go retail or live work units here?

Pretty crappy for a street front. Looks like they were trying for brualist architecture but made it look like a prison wall

They were probably going for a likeness to Elmsley Hall in St. Mikes, just west of the site. With weathering that stone should start to look better but the complete lack of detail, yeah, does make it look kind of prison-industrial.

And forgetting the design and materials, i have to LMAO at the decision to put townhouses there as well. Great opportunity to mute Bay's dourness at street level along this area with more retail and they decided that a more profitable strategy would be to market that dourness as a home address. rofl

Just to give some background on the reasons behind the townhouses placement: initial design called for a tower to be closer to Bay street, and townhomes facing other part of their complex. However, due to multiple issues including shadowing concerns, it was redesigned. So, it was designed to be like that initially. Either way, Toronto is full of mistakes... and this is one of them.

You would think then, that retail would have been the obvious best option? Did that not occur to them? This dull part of Bay Street could use the added animation. It's times like this that you realize, that the people running the show in Toronto, just lack common sense. Are the developers that clueless too? (seems like it)

Those town-houses are a complete and utter fail. I could see them becoming plastic surgery clinics, law offices or upscale B&B's but I really can't imagine who would want to live there. Shame on the planners and developers who made this happen.

I have no idea why this city continues to make these kinds of amateur mistakes time and time again.

Really??

You have no idea?

Are you familiar with City Hall and the clowns WE elected...and the intellectually challenged bureaucrats THEY hire? Look who the chief planner is...a city like Toronto is hiring Keesmaat? That's like...a joke.

So I am not surprised at all by the lack of progress Toronto has made in this regard during the current administration.

Last edited:

Back