Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

Just confirming that it's your own personal proclivities, not anything scientific, that's preventing this from being acceptable.

Also, how can you comment on architecture you haven't seen?

"10 story podium with three 34 floor towers", I can tell you right now that will be overbearing. Most buildings in the area max out at 20 floors, and that limit should be maintained. Not liking that it is a single development for an entire block as well, but nothing can really be done with that.

the FAR ratio is obviously way off if you compare it to surrounding developments, completely out of context, and there likely only because the developer overpaid for this site.

Just confirming that it's your own personal proclivities, not anything scientific, that's preventing this from being acceptable.

Also, how can you comment on architecture you haven't seen?

This is about architectural massing as it relates to context. With a glance one can tell that the massing as it is proposed is out of scale with anything in the area, by any measure. FSR, volume (height x length x width), or intuition.

This development concerns me, particularly as it relates to the neighbourhood, and the changes didn't do much to address this.

Anybody care to speculate on what sort of luck they might have at the OMB?

They updated the signs at the site (phone pics, sorry for quality):

fl4dhxf.jpg

FKlqEIc.jpg

Sort of reminds me of Pinnacle on Adelaide if it had given birth to triplets. Looks pretty boring having 3 towers with the same heights - couldn't they add some variation to the heights? The previous proposal looked more interesting, albeit it was still out of context with the neighbourhood. Pemberton overpays for the land and now shoves this crappola down our throats.

This looks like a preliminary design intended to test the waters, but I haven't been following it very closely. Brutal massing aside, this thing oozes generic nowheresville. The street-scape feels like the base of Blue-Jays way.

Looks cold and corporate. This is the St. Lawrence / Old Town neighbourhood. Please, something more befitting of the area!

Sort of reminds me of Pinnacle on Adelaide if it had given birth to triplets. Looks pretty boring having 3 towers with the same heights - couldn't they add some variation to the heights? The previous proposal looked more interesting, albeit it was still out of context with the neighbourhood. Pemberton overpays for the land and now shoves this crappola down our throats.

Some variation from the classic glass box crap would be good too.

This proposal borders the Esplanade along a stretch that is the most "neighbourhoody" parts of downtown, with the beautiful tree-line sidewalks along David Crombie park, and tons of families heading to and from the numerous playgrounds or to the Distillery or SLM at either end. It baffles me that someone would think this monstrous grey Soviet battleship of a development is appropriate here. I haven't seen a proposal so aesthetically unappealing since that AMC building they built at Yonge/Dundas.

I'm hoping that it's just the renderings that are poor, but why does it seem to have almost no windows? Or glass? And the way it meets the street is going to be horrible. Princess will be turned from a pretty nice street into a dark wind-tunnel of an alley with huge parking garage ramps spewing forth a constant flow of traffic.

With the completion of the First Parliament site this will become a significant axis leading to the distillery district and Don West/Canary district. There are a number of under-appreciated buildings here; the Canadian Stage Co. in the old gasworks buildings on Front, Berkely castle and it's courtyard. A great assembly of buildings that have yet to be unified into what could become a very interesting district. That is if developers aren't allowed to turn this area into another corporate shitscape first.

Last edited:
Looks cold and corporate. This is the St. Lawrence / Old Town neighbourhood. Please, something more befitting of the area!

Agree. They look like those bulky and generic towers at North York Centre. definitely not appropriate for something as nice and charming at SLM area. Both the towers and the podium lack any degree of imagination and seems to have been designed only to attain as much living space as possible without the slightest effort of aesthetics or fitting into the neighbourhood.

If you're going for that much density, at least have the courtesy to actually hire an architect. This is something worth fighting, not Mirvish-Gehry.

Back