Toronto The Whitney on Redpath | 69.19m | 21s | The Benvenuto Group | NEUF

That's for several condominium projects that are located in or around Eglinton Ave. All those projects are located in apt neighbourhoods/mixed use zoning, and don't face a whole lot of opposition because any existing SFH is either north (Past Erskine) or south (at Soudan).

That was a reference to the Eglinton LRT station, which is being built 300 meters away from this site and will probably be finished around the same time as this development.

You said a block north....not northwest a few blocks.....so I answered with what you stated before.

Apparently everything has to be literal, so let's be precise - 200 meters north and 180 meters south. The same as the distance between two corners of Nathan Phillips Square. That's not close at all.

Sarcasm....alright.

EDIT: (Apologies if I seemed like a jerk before) Anyways....I'm not going to be surprised if there will be a townhousing proposal sometime placed on the housing south of this development.

What's all that construction going on a block north of the site? What are those really big vehicles full of people that drive by every 90 seconds?

I can understand why they're upset. I just think it's better to responsibly build hundreds of primary rental homes than to keep a dozen homeowners happy. It's not like they'll be perpetually in the shadow of this development either - it's on the north side of the street, and right next to 18- and 21-storey buildings.

There needs to be some step down away from main streets. This is a side street. If this is the way to increase density, by turning side streets into main streets, then this makes the city unliveable. On Bloor St, across from High Park, there is a new condo. It is stepped down from the tall buildings to the north. It is on a main street. So it is possible to build on a site compatibly. There are options to building tall towers. I live near Sorauren. There are two ten storey buildings on a tiny street. These are about what is tolerable up against single family dwellings. That is more like city-building as opposed to maximizing profit. I would happily support zoning changes to build up on main avenues. But pushing into side streets, well there has be some sensible line drawn. If I was looking to build, I'd try Yonge at Lawrence or Yonge at York Mills. Or even along Eglinton or Lawrence. Single-family dwellings along those thoroughfares, or most four-lane roads outside the core is where density needs to be picked up. Not in super-dense small areas/mega blocks. Spread it out.

There needs to be some step down away from main streets. This is a side street. If this is the way to increase density, by turning side streets into main streets, then this makes the city unliveable. On Bloor St, across from High Park, there is a new condo. It is stepped down from the tall buildings to the north. It is on a main street. So it is possible to build on a site compatibly. There are options to building tall towers. I live near Sorauren. There are two ten storey buildings on a tiny street. These are about what is tolerable up against single family dwellings. That is more like city-building as opposed to maximizing profit. I would happily support zoning changes to build up on main avenues. But pushing into side streets, well there has be some sensible line drawn. If I was looking to build, I'd try Yonge at Lawrence or Yonge at York Mills. Or even along Eglinton or Lawrence. Single-family dwellings along those thoroughfares, or most four-lane roads outside the core is where density needs to be picked up. Not in super-dense small areas/mega blocks. Spread it out.
In general, I don't disagree and think you make several good points.

But, I would say that here, this is a transit hub and interchange between two subway lines. The equivalent isn't High Park or Sorauren, it is Charles & Jarvis (which is roughly equal distance away from Bloor-Yonge as 200 Soudan is to Eglinton-Yonge (with the added plus that this will be steps away from Mt. Pleasant Station, where as along Bloor there is no station at Jarvis)).

Additionally, the precedent has already been set along Soudan.

I don't agree with this being equivalent to Jarvis and Charles: one of those two is still a major street, and neither Soudan nor Brownlow are that.

The Soudan precedent, to be clear is 19 storeys, for Distinction, which is right on the street. Lillian Park is 26, and the closest Plaza Midtown building is 27, but those two are both north of Soudan about the width of a house lot.

I don't think the difference in the height of those buildings and with the proposal here will have that significant an effect on Soudan (especially as the top floors int his proposal are stepped back), but I just wanted to lay out exactly what has been approved where along this stretch recently.

I don't agree with this being equivalent to Jarvis and Charles: one of those two is still a major street, and neither Soudan nor Brownlow are that.
No, but Mt. Pleasant is, even though Mt. Pleasant is one block east. This is positive point for this location if anything, as there will be a station at Mt. Pleasant while there is none at Jarvis.

The Jarvis/Charles comparison is ~660m away from Bloor Yonge, and this is ~730m away from Yonge Eglinton. Another comparison is along Davisville. There is high density rental towers for example, at Balloil Street and Palton Crescent, roughly 600-700m away from Yonge Davisville.

People might have a problem with these dense mega blocks, but, I maintain that where those blocks do exist, development proposals like this are appropriate. (Especially when they employ step-backs)

June 30th

IMG_20170630_131742.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170630_131742.jpg
    IMG_20170630_131742.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 876
The city and other parties settled with the developer before the OMB hearing. SERRA sent out an email with the details. Increased setbacks, 21 Storeys, separate underground parking ramp, instead of shared with 18 Brownlow and 83 Redpath. They're touting this as a win and I suppose given the current development environment, plus the fact that this was in the hands of the OMB, this was the best choice. Details of the settlement here: http://www.southeglinton.ca/brownlo...ched-for-18-brownlow-now-known-as-71-redpath/

Attachments

• 71redpath 2.jpg
    71redpath 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 858
  • 71redpath1 2.jpg
    71redpath1 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 807
  • 71redpath2 2.jpg
    71redpath2 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 835

Back