Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

LCBO, Ontario Food Terminal, Christies, 505 Richmond Street West has a Well-style development proposal w/ hideous Turner Fleischer renderings floating around facebook--although it could include a large YMCA:
mmWidJA.jpg

King & Bathurst-SW corner a massive development is coming...;) Then there's the Armoury site Queen East and a large assembly happening on Dupont near Christie.

Last edited:
The southwest corner of King and Bathurst is where the Wheat Sheaf tavern is located. Also, 500 Richmond Street West is already developed.

Last edited:
I hope you are right about the Armoury, that place is terrible, when it gets redeveloped the area will really finally seem nicer imo.

The southwest corner of King and Bathurst is where the Wheat Sheaf tavern is located. Also, 500 Richmond Street West is already developed.

I mean the Build Toronto site at 505-511 Richmond Street West. And all the land surrounding the Wheat Sheaf. You know a Jilly's style development--restore the old building then surround it with condos. Think of all those low rise buildings on Bathurst & just west of the WS on King ... Think of the kind of density you see at 650 King & 111 Bathurst.... Start thinking about a 2016-2025 build out time frame.... It's coming.

Last edited:

The car wash / former-Quiznos to the west recently sold for 17.1m leading one with any market and / or planning sense to glean that something is afoot there. 505 Richmond has likewise been a medium-soft site for a number of years now, most recently the speculative home of Eataly - a Superkul-authored Toronto branch of Farinetti's New York cash cow (though those plans have since been dropped for another speculative location closer to the core).

Bread Factory and surrounds in Liberty Village would be cool for more Well.

Well… actually that's rendering number 16 out of 41 in our dataBase file for The Well!

Interesting.... “as big or bigger†than The Well

“We are working on a very big one now, but I really won’t know if it will close or not until the end of June,†said Diamond. “But if it does, it will make the news, I’m sure.â€
He added the proposal, which would be part of fund No. 3, is “as big or bigger†than The Well and would also be in the city’s downtown core

More............http://renx.ca/diamond-corp-s-toronto-success-shows-can-beat-city-hall/

Isn't this the $100M Allied acquisition of 511-539 King St W? They own a lot on this stretch and with this sale it's about 3.5 acres total and they can apply for much higher densities once they own it. I'm sure the sale is expected to close end of June. So, no, this new "Well" is not located way away in the Portlands but rather around the areas Allied likes to acquire property haha!

A public information session sponsored by Joe Cressy was held last night at Metro hall. Overall attendance was quite light - my feeling is there were more people from the various parties involved in the project than visitors. Overall reaction to the plans was quite positive, with the exception of one person's concerns regarding the overall height and density - completely understandable as they live on Draper Street.

The next step in the process is for the project's Statutory Public Meeting on June 16. From the comments by the City Planning Department staff who were present, while there are still some issues to be worked out, the overall project appears to be favourably received.

Anticipated timelines - a late 2017 start, due to the need for the Globe & Mail to relocate to their new premises on King Street East. It is expected that the entire site will be excavated and the parking and concourse / services level will be built in one pass, in order to minimize disruption to the retail levels. The excavation is expected to be quite deep, for four levels of parking garage, and a high ceiling height concourse / services level accommodate trucks servicing the site.

The residential towers are anticipated to be built in stages.

Back