Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

Meh, it treats the street well (Balmuto) and doesn't face onto any other streets, so I don't see the issue. It's also out of sight most of the time. To have put fake windows would have looked pretty strange in that setting. I don't think it's bad.

I believe that's the parking garage. I think Trump deserves points for hiding theirs so well.

I imagine it was designed that way in view of what might get developed on the southeast corner of Bloor and Yonge. Having the residential start above this big windowless block allows for more options regarding what will abut it.

I have no problem with art deco at all. It's just that it's more difficult to execute well. See ROCP.

The renders for ROCP looked ominous from the start. This one has always looked quite promising. I agree that historical recreation or buildings that take inspiration from prior architectures are difficult to execute well. Most end up looking tacky like ROCP, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Last edited:
You know, I've never thought about this until now, but ... what WILL end up going at the southwest corner of Yonge and Bloor?

A 1000+ footer... probably the last best hope for one.
After "#1 Bloor" & the 4 season's are built, it would be the perfect location for a pinnacle tower in Yorkville.
I can't see a supertall being zoned anywhere other than that corner, outside of the CBD.

Feb. 20th Update

Uptown on the right, Blu on the left

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Crystal blu looks like a stick of bublegum :D!

Uptown is lookin good right now! In that shot from Bloor ^^^ its hard to imagine that its gonna look much taller than it is now!

Recent pics

4375098230_a46af0eb3c_b.jpg

4374346489_1ae94ec852_b.jpg

I'm actually quite hopeful about his one now. Could turn out quite nice without looking overly "faux".

And in that last shot the windows look darker... not so much "silver" framed as dark grey. But of course that depends on lighting.

In that shot above ^^^^ You can really see that huge setback that was formed! Its nice to see the tower get skinnier and skinnier as we move along!

Back