Toronto The United BLDG | 179.52m | 52s | Davpart | B+H

I really, really like the colonnade. I hope that part of the design doesn't undergo a Cheapening.

That colonnade is much-needed for greater frontage on Dundas, and it also highlights the existing artwork (the existing one in the stone wall) while apparently adding some new artwork above. I love to see "space making" like this in projects.

The rest I'm not particularly thrilled about; it looks quite banal.

Thanks for posting, Alvin.

I'm hopeful that this building will turn out great. I really like the heritage preservation of the 1961 and 1928 buildings on University and Dundas, which allows for necessary alterations and modifications. This is one place where the colonnade (which I generally don't like on the Bay Street condos) makes a lot of sense given the sidewalk crowding on Dundas where people wait for the streetcar.

Interesting...

The Downtown Tall Building Guidelines recommend a maximum height of 77 metres to 137 metres (25 storeys to 45 storeys) on University Avenue and a maximum height of 62 metres to 107 metres (20 storeys to 35 storeys) on Dundas Street West. The Guidelines also provide for an additional 30 metres (or ten storeys) on properties at the four corners of a subway stations and where heritage properties are respected. Therefore, the maximum recommended height for this project is 87 metres to 147 metres (35 to 55 storeys). Although the proposed height of the project does meet the 55-storeys requirement, at 184.5 metres, it is taller than the guideline height. Furthermore, the building does not lie within the helicopter flight path for the Hospital for Sick Children.

When the applicant first met with staff, a building of 88 storeys was proposed. Staff were not supportive of this approach as it impacted the view corridor to City Hall when looking north west from the corner of Queen Street West and Bay Street. The revised proposed height of 184.5 metres lies below the silhouette of City Hall and respects the view corridor. Furthermore, because the building is constructed on top of an existing commercial office building, with larger floor to ceiling heights, a certain amount of additional height is to be expected and is consistent with the proposal at 480 University Avenue which was approved at 190 metres. Lastly, the impacts of the height from a sunlight and shadowing perspective are minimal and acceptable. For these reasons, staff support the proposed height of the proposal.

Yes.

I'm not surprised that 88 storeys would be turned down in this location but I had no idea that the view of City Hall from Queen & Bay in particular was considered a protected vista. I guess it makes sense since so much pedestrian traffic approaches from that direction.

"The revised proposed height of 184.5 metres lies below the silhouette of City Hall and respects the view corridor. Furthermore, because the building is constructed on top of an existing commercial office building, with larger floor to ceiling heights, a certain amount of additional height is to be expected and is consistent with the proposal at 480 University Avenue which was approved at 190 metres. Lastly, the impacts of the height from a sunlight and shadowing perspective are minimal and acceptable. For these reasons, staff support the proposed height of the proposal."

They say 480 University was approved at 190. This doesn't seem to jive with the numbers we have.

Back