Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

Today.
IMG_5389.JPG
IMG_5390.JPG
IMG_5391.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5389.JPG
    IMG_5389.JPG
    983.8 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_5390.JPG
    IMG_5390.JPG
    1,001.2 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_5391.JPG
    IMG_5391.JPG
    993.1 KB · Views: 360
Suppose it won't be till end of this year start of next year that we see the new tower portion rising. The engineering work going on up there right now must be mind-boggling.

It won't take that many months to complete the rest of the transfer slab. My guess would be September.

Suppose it won't be till end of this year start of next year that we see the new tower portion rising. The engineering work going on up there right now must be mind-boggling.
I'm surprised that this approach is cheaper than just tearing down and starting fresh. Since I presume it actually is cheaper, I'm also surprised that this technique isn't used more.

the office building likely was seen as 0 development potential, so it was sold at the price point for only the revenue from the office portion. Means your land costs are way lower to offset engineering costs.

I'm surprised that this approach is cheaper than just tearing down and starting fresh. Since I presume it actually is cheaper, I'm also surprised that this technique isn't used more.

I don't know.

Keep in mind, the office building has been occupied the entire time. I suspect the addition of the condos were only to offset some of the costs of renovating the office block. They wouldn't have been built if the precast facade plus everything else didn't need replacing. Tearing down and starting fresh was never a consideration.

The TTC is planning to close the northwest subway entrance by next week to begin work to install the elevator from 480 University to the concourse level of St. Patrick Station. This means people who have been using the subway station to get across University Avenue (since the TTC work in the median closed the crosswalk) are out of luck. It also means more obstruction to an already congested and obstructed corner - the 480/488 scaffolding, plus the crosswalk barrier, and now new TTC barriers.

Back