Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

The people who are "making the calls" don't factor in "special" in their decision making process one way or the other. So that's really a non-starter.

It's a $billion project with an architects name attached to it. Safe to say it is a significant change to the current use.

And people who are making the call aren't necessarily empowered by $billion or architects name either. You could easily have gotten the Hudson Bay centre across the street (or Aura), so that's pretty much a strawman argument.

He would be perfectly entitled to do that. I don't see how temporarily keeping a couple of doomed little buildings intact is the main issue here.

Indeed, if we drop the pretense of world-classedness and F+P, we can easily see that it has no bearing on project approval. If that's one's position, then you might as well give up and settle for whatever comes along, good or bad.

AoD

Last edited:
And who would be selecting this panel of "experts", exactly? Appointed by whom at the city, according to what criteria and elgibility? On what basis will those judgements be made, with what level of authority and responsibility? How will it fit within the context of heritage legislation at the provincial level? You made it sound so very easy when the city doesn't even have the resources to properly fund heritage services to determine much other than on a per-case basis.

AoD

Get someone else to explain to you what an "expert" is.

I think that perhaps the biggest problem that a lot of people are having is that we don't know what is proposed for the site, hence the apprehension over the demolitions... if it turns out to be something very special, perhaps all will be forgiven, if not, then Mizrahi will be properly demonized... I believe FrankieFlowerPot aka ChesterCopperPot has stated over at SSP that an application is expected by the end of the month... hopefully we will see by then..

Lets detach the two issues - demolition of Stollery's from F&P project - and address them seperately. Stollery's was a practically worthless building. If the corner ends up being a parking lot for a year or two its not the end of the world. Instead the conversation should be about the F&P project and its merit, and we'll have to wait and see what is proposed.

Lets detach the two issues - demolition of Stollery's from F&P project - and address them seperately. Stollery's was a practically worthless building. If the corner ends up being a parking lot for a year or two its not the end of the world. Instead the conversation should be about the F&P project and its merit, and we'll have to wait and see what is proposed.

Except the proponent has applied to demolish 774 Yonge, as mentioned in previous postings, and it isn't necessarily a worthless building. You really can't separate the F&P project and this move by the proponent given that development.

AoD

Except the proponent has applied to demolish 774 Yonge, as mentioned in previous postings, and it isn't necessarily a worthless building. You really can't separate the F&P project and this move by the proponent given that development.

AoD

True, I was referring to Stollery's.
I would like to see serious renderings and a sales center before Hue gets killed. The project needs to be good, not because we lose Hue, but because its an iconic intersection.

True, I was referring to Stollery's.
I would like to see serious renderings and a sales center before Hue gets killed. The project needs to be good, not because we lose Hue, but because its an iconic intersection.

As reasonable as it maybe, I think it is probably expecting too much to see a sales centre before that building gets killed. I'd be happy enough to see a realistic (as opposed to pie in the sky stuff that is just for sell) project proposal before demolition.

AoD

It's 80 storeys...from Real Estate BisNow, just now.... a lot of focus on the retail side of it... :cool:
I guess by "billion dollar condo", they mean the total cost of the project....

Sam Mizrahi sparked big buzz when he bought Stollerys at 1 Bloor W then wasted no time demolishing the building that’d stood at Yonge and Bloor for over a century. But he tells us his Norman Foster-designed project, with Canada’s first $1B condo, will do this landmark address justice.

Over 11 months starting in December 2013, Mizrahi Developments’ CEO (snapped on site earlier this week) pieced together an off-market assembly that comprises Stollerys, properties to the west of it (including 11 Bloor West), and land to its south, down to 770 Yonge (currently Le Chateau). He spent over $200M on the entire assembly and dealt with seven owners. More than 30 developers tried to buy the 114-year-old Stollerys building, Sam points out. What made him its successful suitor? The Stollerys family wanted someone who’d “champion the property” and “build something their father and grandfather would have been proud of.”

The building is still in the design stage (hence no slick renderings to show you) but Sam says Norman Foster, working with local firm Core Architects, has conceived of an iconic tower that'll put Toronto on the "world map” for architecture. Dubbed “The One,” the 26k SF project, which could top out at 80 storeys, will boast Canada’s first $1B condo, according to Sam. There will be seven levels of retail at the base, and PATH connections to Yonge-Bloor subway station, plus underground parking with visitor spots and valet service for the retail, slated to open by 2017.

The One will be the second monumental tower to rise at once architecturally uninspired Yonge and Bloor. Across the road, Great Gulf Homes' One Bloor is hurtling toward its ultimate height of 75 storeys, with 732 condos and 100k SF of retail on three levels. The arrival of these super-talls will transform the city’s crossroads into something truly special. As will the retailers Sam says he's bringing to his development, global brands not yet in TO that will be building their flagship international outlets here. (Deals are in place, but Sam can’t dish about them yet due to confidentiality agreements.)

This mega-project marks a new chapter for Mizrahi Developments, which started off doing custom homes and transitioned into high-end boutique condos in Yorkville: 133 Hazelton (above) and 181 Davenport (both sold out). The One, the largest project Mizrahi’s done to date, represents a “natural evolution for us,” Sam says. “We want to take the customization we’ve done for homeowners and apply it to the retail landscape,” giving commercial clients the opportunity to control the design of their spaces — a big draw for high-end international retailers to The One.

Sam was criticized for moving so quickly to demolish Stollerys last month after receiving a permit to do so. Some believed the Edwardian-era building deserved to be preserved. Sam disagrees. “If I felt that any aspect of it had historical architectural significance or heritage value, I’d be the first person to champion not only incorporating that design into the new building but saving it.” In its place, he promises a “significant structure” worthy of of its AAA location. “This is really a gift back to the city.”

Last edited:
Thx for adding the link AG! my post was from their email newsletter..(same info)..

Right now just trying to picture 7 floors of retail, open by 2017..

“If I felt that any aspect of it had historical architectural significance or heritage value, I’d be the first person to champion not only incorporating that design into the new building but saving it.” In its place, he promises a “significant structure” worthy of of its AAA location. “This is really a gift back to the city.”

Strap on your seatbelt Mr. Mizrahi - those are almost the identical words uttered by David Mirvish.

(hope you have at least one museum and a college campus to throw in - although that wasn't enough for that other "gift" to the city)

It all depends how many metres the 7 floors of retail would be. Realistically, I can see this being a similar difference in height that 2 Bloor West and the HBC tower have, roughly 10-15 metres or so.

Back