Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Of more illustrious provenance; but still, maybe related to the Stollery's issue--at least insofar as a lot of this thread's Stollery's-sneerers probably wouldn't give a fig about *its* loss, either...

http://hyperallergic.com/179538/how-louis-kahns-last-commercial-work-fell-quietly-in-philadelphia/

And you know the big name attached to it is the only reason there is a story in the first place. And big names don't necessarily denote sacred cow status. And of course it doesn't apply here.

There's not a building or tree in existence that some grassroots preservationists won't try to save. Of course it can't all be accommodated.

Obviously the issue has gone beyond just the Stollery building....it looks to be a catalyst to rethink the process. Whether this turns out to be a good thing or a bad thing is yet to be seen.

That article did contain an interesting observation though....

The Kahn and Stonorov store with its free-floating displays and elegant simplicity in its use of light was itself a mid-century revamping of a 1902 commercial space, so in a way the loss of the building is just part of the often temporary nature of commercial architecture.

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Permit Issued
Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 15 104613 DEM 00 DM Issued Date: Feb 9, 2015
Project: Retail Store Demolition
Description: Proposal to demolish existing 2 storey retail building.
http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=3685816

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Under Review
TORONTO ON M4Y 2B6

Application#: 15 107080 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Jan 22, 2015

Description: Proposal to demolish existing 3 storey mixed use building.
http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=3688717

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Permit Issued

Application#: 15 104622 DEM 00 DM Issued Date: Feb 9, 2015

Description: Proposal to demolish existing 3 storey mixed use non-residential building. Includes 780 to 784 Yonge Street
http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=3685826

Rest of the site coming down soon.. 774 Yonge is (edit: listed, not designated) under the Heritage Act so there is a 60 day notice period before the permit can be granted, which gives the City time to potentially designate.
View attachment 40845

Last edited:
Hey look! More demolition permits and still no renderings, site plans or even vague visions! I'm glad I'll get to stare at an empty, barren lot at Bloor-Yonge the next few years...

The fact is that the project will steam roll ahead, whether its listed or designated ultimately makes no difference (in this instance). If anything there will be delays/hiccups like they had with the house they bought in Hazelton, end of the day they still tore it down legally although it took quite some time. I am tired of hearing comments saying "show us what is being proposed" etc, reminds me of an 1800's witch hunt.

The fact is that the project will steam roll ahead, whether its listed or designated ultimately makes no difference (in this instance). If anything there will be delays/hiccups like they had with the house they bought in Hazelton, end of the day they still tore it down legally although it took quite some time. I am tired of hearing comments saying "show us what is being proposed" etc, reminds me of an 1800's witch hunt.

Funny, I was going to say name dropping Norman Foster with nothing to show for it sounded like selling snake oil instead, especially considering one's portfolio thus far constitute nothing but overdressed P+S limestone schlock. As to tired of such comments, well, I am sure you will be hearing more of it for awhile yet.

AoD

Last edited:
The one is designated. Vigilante? Show us what is being proposed first, perhaps?

AoD

Correction: Listed, not designated.

Whoops, corrected the earlier post. For a listed building the owner has to give the City at least 60 days notice of their intention to demolish. This gives the City a bit of time to start the designation process if they wish to.

Last edited:
Funny, I was going to say name dropping Norman Foster with nothing to show for it sounded like selling snake oil instead, especially considering one's portfolio thus far constitute nothing but overdressed P+S limestone schlock. As to tired of such comments, well, I am sure you will be hearing more of it for awhile yet.

AoD

Well, I can now see why you Tweeted KWT regarding 774 Yonge. You have already made up your mind that this project is garbage. Maybe if you alert KWT soon enough, she might be able to stop the project in its tracks! Never mind that we have no actual evidence that it will be garbage, and instead what evidence we do have suggests that it will be an architectural plus.

Well, I can now see why you Tweeted KWT regarding 774 Yonge. You have already made up your mind that this project is garbage. Maybe if you alert KWT soon enough, she might be able to stop the project in its tracks! Never mind that we have no actual evidence that it will be garbage, and instead what evidence we do have suggests that it will be an architectural plus.

Did I? I am not even necessarily against the idea of tearing down 774 Yonge, but what has been put forward to suggest that the development will be worth it? Nothing, considering the lack of available information. What evidence have you received that would suggest it is a definitive "architectural plus"? Feel free to share it with us? Barring that, it would appear that you have made a leap of faith based on nothing but commentary.

I am saying this as someone who is quite fond of Lord Foster's works over the years, and is happy at the prospect of having a F+P tower at that intersection - I am just not willing to suggest that we should suspend our judgement or rush to tear down a structure with established worth on the sole basis of words in a few trade articles that is high on exaltations and low on concrete details.

AoD

Last edited:
Precisely. The blind faith for new development is not dissimilar to the out-with-the-old-in-with-the-new mentality that caused so much architectural tragedy in Toronto's history. We need to apply a healthful amount of scepticism especially to projects that destroy beautiful old buildings.

Back