Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Why would they come up with just the base like this. Why not the entire tower? Looks like a bad after thought.

I would imagine that the residents of this tower would enjoy a less obstructed view than what they would get if the tower had the same skin as the podium.

First iteration was definitely the best. I'm cool with this one... But the podium looks like it was designed to appeal to rich old women. It's like a gold knit granny sweater. I'm happy with it simply because it's different for Toronto. But the original exoskeleton in that warm tone was best.

It does remind me of the seventies somehow. I find it amazing that there is still a market for the amount of condos going here in this price range.

It does remind me of the seventies somehow. I find it amazing that there is still a market for the amount of condos going here in this price range.

It reminds me of the CIBC tower across the street.

The first iteration had the same language from top to bottom. This updated render is muted and washed out. The forceful presence of the exoskeleton was welcome change compared to the soft curves of 1BE.

Echoing Skira's thoughts. This is two storys of glass wall, a marginally updated RBC pavilion with two CIBC towers stacked on top.

Desperately, Hues facade was needed to be saved in that exact location, mind numbing processes sometimes. "It's a kind of a F+P" we will be able to tell everyone. It just needed to be gutted to be built here first.

I was never a big fan of the original, but I do think the original design looked more powerful than the current one. (pun not intended). Seen from a distance it looked impressive, and not just because of its height.

image.jpg

I am curious, though, is Foster himself actually designing this building?

The screens on the podium remind me of 1960s designs that try to hide undesirable uses (like parkades).
(i.e. the building at Yonge & Carlton)
The corner of Queen & Yonge also comes to mind:

I wonder what the view will be like from those high end retail stores after a few years when dirt builds up behind the screens?
Stores don't want you looking at the view. They want you looking at the merch!

First iteration was definitely the best. I'm cool with this one... But the podium looks like it was designed to appeal to rich old women. It's like a gold knit granny sweater. I'm happy with it simply because it's different for Toronto. But the original exoskeleton in that warm tone was best.
I want the ad campaign to be Eaton's Aubergine meets Marilyn Monroe singing Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend.

I was never a big fan of the original, but I do think the original design looked more powerful than the current one. (pun not intended). Seen from a distance it looked impressive, and not just because of its height.

Although I love this building, and the sheer boldness of the exoskeleton design, I do personally prefer the X-pattern of the original. Something about it was very striking, and reminded me of the John Hancock tower. I can't explain why the newer chevron-shaped pattern isn't as nice...perhaps it doesn't have the same fortified, balanced look. Not sure exactly what it is. Regardless, I love The One in all its incarnations, and the newer podium.

O/T, and I think it was discussed in 1 Bloor thread. But my prognostication is that we ain't seen nothing yet with regards to the Yonge/Bloor intersection. I predict a supertall at the NE corner, with the Marriott (now the world's largest hotelier) being significantly involved.

Seems like with every iteration they are moving further and further away from the "exoskeleton" characteristic of the building. In the first iteration the exoskeleton was strong, bold, and actually pretty girthy, the second the exoskeleton was made skinnier and the patter was changed to an odd one, the third iteration has half of the beam inside the condo unit and half of it outside. The podium has no pedestrian interaction with the exoskeleton. I still like it because they're is nothing like it in Toronto and they do seem to care about the quality so im sure the execution will be ok. But they showed me too much in the beginning :(

Back