Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

In regards to lost sunsets, the sunset moves north along the western horizon for the first half of the year, and then south during the second half. Any lost sunsets will only be lost for a week or two every six months - if you're high enough already. Like others have said though, the views aren't guaranteed: new buildings go up, and for example, there's another 70-storey building approved at the Holt Renfrew Centre too. Caveat sunsetophile.

According to the previously posted planning doc, there will be no connection to the subway

Below grade, the proposal continues to propose a retail concourse level, however, the proposed connection to the existing underground pedestrian system north of Bloor Street has been removed, although knock-out panels are provided to allow for future expansion of the pedestrian system.

That is unfortunate, but I have no doubt people can cross the street above ground like they have been for years to get on the ttc.

Is the living wall completely gone from the updated design? That was one of the most interesting aspects of the street presence in the original proposal.

Okay, it looks like for the moment, no more living wall, but there's lots of other things to learn, and we have put them into the new front page story here, and into the updated dataBase file linked at the top of the page.

Have fun!

Looks nifty! I especially like those elevators. This is trying to be the exact opposite of 1BE. Plus, I can't wait to shop at the new LOGO store!!

Love that weaving pattern on the first several floors. It's too bad the diagonal braces don't come right down to the ground, however.

Love the new look of the podium! I'm interested in what will become of the two additional but separate properties that they have acquired on Yonge St. I guess we'll know in time.

The evolution continues...

Screen shot 2016-01-04 at 8.07.51 PM.png

Screen shot 2016-01-04 at 8.08.32 PM.png

Screen shot 2016-01-04 at 8.11.51 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-01-04 at 8.07.51 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-01-04 at 8.07.51 PM.png
    726.9 KB · Views: 3,357
  • Screen shot 2016-01-04 at 8.08.32 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-01-04 at 8.08.32 PM.png
    740.6 KB · Views: 3,365
  • Screen shot 2016-01-04 at 8.11.51 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-01-04 at 8.11.51 PM.png
    571.1 KB · Views: 3,275
The render people look strangely familiar in the last two iterations...it's almost as if they didn't even bother changing them out.

My favorite version of the podium was always the first version. But this is TO and we need to make things conservative.

Agreed. The original podium was gorgeous. I don't like the lowered height and sterile glass that is present in the latest rendering (at ground level). The original ground level was far more engaging. I'm also not a fan of the current bracing. If the original diagrids could be applied to the present shape of the tower, I'd be happier.

The screens on the podium remind me of 1960s designs that try to hide undesirable uses (like parkades).
(i.e. the building at Yonge & Carlton)
The corner of Queen & Yonge also comes to mind:

That heritage building in 1915

Circa 1972

f0124_fl0002_id0151-woolworths-yonge-queen-1972.jpg

I wonder what the view will be like from those high end retail stores after a few years when dirt builds up behind the screens?

Last edited:

Back