Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I also thought that the original design was nicer looking, certainly from a distance but, I do still think it looks great with all the separations along the height and I actually love the lower section with the bronze/gold facade....

Speaking for myself, I feel that the best design would combine the original version's exoskeleton with this version's height and equally balanced separations.

Seems like with every iteration they are moving further and further away from the "exoskeleton" characteristic of the building.
I agree -- the original architectural vision seems to have been severely diluted. I much prefer the original design, and even the earlier "hanger" designs over this.

All that said, however, I much prefer the current design to almost everything else going up in the city at the moment.

It's a metallic finish, meant to look like champagne. With a sheen on it, I doubt anyone will worry about it looking beige.

beige is beige. All those seniors who bought "champagne" cars in 2005 were buying beige cars. shininess is not a colour, champagne is just shiny beige. also champagne is just sparkling wine, and wine is Yellow, or dark purple.

Seems like with every iteration they are moving further and further away from the "exoskeleton" characteristic of the building. In the first iteration the exoskeleton was strong, bold, and actually pretty girthy, the second the exoskeleton was made skinnier and the patter was changed to an odd one, the third iteration has half of the beam inside the condo unit and half of it outside. The podium has no pedestrian interaction with the exoskeleton. I still like it because they're is nothing like it in Toronto and they do seem to care about the quality so im sure the execution will be ok. But they showed me too much in the beginning :(

Probably being "watered down" due to "design by committee" (trying to please the City or anyone else who has a negative comment).

Probably being "watered down" due to "design by committee" (trying to please the City or anyone else who has a negative comment).

By the time the project hit the DRP the diagrid scheme is already dead, likely due to cost more than anything else.

Personally, I find the current perimeter supercolumn scheme more interesting - the diagrid scheme didn't quite jive with me.

AoD

O/T, and I think it was discussed in 1 Bloor thread. But my prognostication is that we ain't seen nothing yet with regards to the Yonge/Bloor intersection. I predict a supertall at the NE corner, with the Marriott (now the world's largest hotelier) being significantly involved.
I hope not. I want to live here (on top of the Marriott) forever!

I think this building is starting to look very unique like a billion dollar structure should look like. The honey comb base or podium really sets off the building at ground level. The windows really pop out on the upper floors with the golden trim around them. And the reset bronze mechanical floors really emphasis the height of the building with contour. For those who like vegetation on the building. I think the balcony area of the mechanical floors would be the ideal place to put it because of it's watering mechanics. To also please some of those who appreciate the first rendering with all kinds of vegetation. Something could be done with the first floor by putting in an indoor garden. Like the original Gibson Square rendering in North York in the 1990s if anybody could remember. That was a beautiful structure with a rose garden etc on the main floor.

Back