Toronto The Metropolitan | 113.99m | 37s | Lancer Developments

For what its worth from DCN, seems like there is still a slim breath of life on this project.

RENTAL APT BUILDING, RETAIL, COMMERCIAL OFFICE
Proj: 1307293-21
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON

WORKING DRAWINGS
The Metropolitan, 55 Shuter St between Church St and Bond St, M5B
$40,000,000 est
Start: January, 2012 Complete: January, 2013

Note:
The scope of work is currently under review. Residential working drawings are subject to change pending the owner's decision to proceed. Schedules for completion of working drawings are undetermined. Tender and construction schedules are not known at this time. Further update fall 2011.
The total project value is $135,000,000.

Project:
concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, curtainwall exterior, masonry exterior, other roof structure, chilled water cooling system, fuel fired heating system, package air conditioning/heat pump system, proposed construction of a 200,000 sq ft, 390 unit rental apartment building above a six-storey podium. The podium will consist of 100,000 sq ft of commercial office space above 15,000 sq ft of retail space, including store-fronts, coffee shops, restaurants, and a pharmacy for staff and patients of a hospital adjacent to the site.

Scope:
360,000 square feet; 37 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 340 units; parking for 815 cars

Parking for 815 cars?!

In 2 storeys below grade?!

Or maybe we're getting an above ground parking garage here?

Or maybe these figures were produced by the DCN random number generator?

So many questions…

Was hoping for this land to stay open for future public use- but if they do go forward with the development, hopefully the development will include the removal of all surface parking and the rehabillitation of the park.

And maybe something similar to the earlier proposals where the tower(s) are symmetrical to the church itself.

Pittsburgh on the mind?
Unless it's PPG Place or Cathedral of Learning level of architecture.

AoD

I'd also mention Place de la Cathédrale (now Tour KPMG) - designed by WZMH and fits quite well behind the Anglican Christ Church Cathedral. The neo-gothic glass tower does invoke Johnson's PPG Place (a second rate copy, perhaps), but is a model that would fit better behind Metropolitan and adjacent to St. Michael's.

Last edited:
Let's exhume Philip Johnson and get another one. Ours is second rate.

Or get Calatrava to do an interpretation of Gothic his way...

AoD

I second that motion. It happens a friend from Alabama contacted me yesterday on another board with a photo of the Allen Lambert Galleria. He knew it was in Toronto, but nothing more. He was impressed he wanted to ask me if I recognized it.

Back