Toronto The Berczy | 41.76m | 13s | Concert | Arcadis

I'm just really interested to see what happens on the Church Street frontage.. I love that tree-lined strip of resturants.. hope it doesn't really diminish it..

Though, contextually speaking, I notice the new rendering is more "in line" with the historic Front St shopfronts...

Have to admit it still blows the top off 90% of projects under construction in this city in terms of Urbanism. The old one did have a better anchoring effect to the corner though. I don't like the idea of those balconies along the corner and they could have added some raised element to the corner to play off of the flatiron building across the street.

I like the entire new render better... I would say the new base is more sophisticated. I wish though that this had been built on an empty lot (I must assume that heritage type buildings will need to be cleared to make way for this? sorry, too lazy to read back in the thread)

What really annoys me

Is where this development is.

There are so many parking lots, and so many crappy buildings, no shortage of good places to demolish, reuse, redevelop.

This is not a bad looking render, though the first one was better.

But, it would be so much more useful, so much more desirable in so many more locations.

I have eaten at the lovely little French spot in that section of Church, and at that KEG location (which is by far my favourite, even after they took out the pool tables in the 90's, sigh)

This is such a nice block as it is; that at best, we're hoping for the status quo with the new building.

Why couldn't we just leave this alone and stick this up the street at the big blank parking lot at Colborne Lane and Church?

I think that glass fortress on top looks out of context in both scale and material, although I do like that it's scaled back, minimizing the on-street effect.

I also prefer the horizontal orientation of the lines in the facade of the older rendering. The new rendering looks "prettier" but i like the simplicity of the older one which I think looks "cleaner" and seems to fit in better.

Can't see the sidewalk immediately in front of the building in the new rendering.....just wondering if it's still going to be, um, pink?

Why couldn't we just leave this alone and stick this up the street at the big blank parking lot at Colborne Lane and Church?

someone else obviously owns that parking lot and apparently has big plans for it very soon according to this site.

This is such a nice block as it is; that at best, we're hoping for the status quo with the new building.

nothing nice about the building facing Front

Other than the stealth bomber parked on the roof, there is nothing remarkable about the latest version of this thing - fussy historicist pastiche and all.

KPMB's King James Place and Jerome Markson's Market Square - both across the street - show quite clearly that you don't need to sink to this. It is possible to capture - and celebrate - the spirit of buildings from an earlier age, in order to fit in with them, by producing resolutely contemporary designs.

Back to the drawing board!

It's odd. Can't put my finger on exactly what doesn't thrill me about this rendering, but I do notice that the corner seems to loom out into the intersection. Is the facade of this supposed to be flush with the existing businesses along Front? I can't really tell. I hope so.

Also preferred the old base with more brick; this new one seems to have a lot of fakey ornamentation on it. The old one was more warehousey in keeping with the neighbourhood. (I know you're impressed by my use of the sophisticated architectural terms "fakey" and "warehousey")

It's odd. Can't put my finger on exactly what doesn't thrill me about this rendering, but I do notice that the corner seems to loom out into the intersection. Is the facade of this supposed to be flush with the existing businesses along Front? I can't really tell. I hope so.

Also preferred the old base with more brick; this new one seems to have a lot of fakey ornamentation on it. The old one was more warehousey in keeping with the neighbourhood. (I know you're impressed by my use of the sophisticated architectural terms "fakey" and "warehousey")

"Fakey" and "warehousey" are my kinda terminology. Easy-to-understand and to-the-point!

Other than the stealth bomber parked on the roof, there is nothing remarkable about the latest version of this thing - fussy historicist pastiche and all.

haha..just noticed the stealth bomber :D

I wonder if owners can rent that out...hmmmmm

Update on Concert's Website

Five Corners
51 - 61 Front Street East
6 - 16 Church Street
Toronto Ontario
Canada M5E 1B5

Status
- The development is currently in the process of receiving Site Plan Approval
- Sales are anticipated to commence in fall 2007

Description
Concert proposes an 11-storey terraced midrise with up to 149 luxury condominium suites, retail units at grade and the reconstruction of a heritage facade. The Five Corners is located in the historic St. Lawrence Neighbourhood just three blocks east of Union Station at the junction of Front, Wellington and Church Streets.

Concert Properties has edited this little bit on their page concerning Five Corners (previously stated as fall 2007):

- The development is currently in the process of receiving Site Plan Approval
- Sales are anticipated to commence in early 2008

http://www.concertproperties.com/properties/condominiums/country3/province17/region36/property146.htm

It appears that (former) Young & Wright Architects were behind this project, which has since been taken over by IBI Group ... and the building has grown to 13 storeys

A further website update ~ :)
Status
- The development is currently in the process of receiving Site Plan Approval.
- Sales are anticipated to commence in 2010.

Description
Concert proposes a 13-storey terraced midrise with over 150 luxury condominium suites, approximately 12,000 square feet of retail at grade and the reconstruction of a heritage facade. Five Corners is located in the historic St. Lawrence Neighbourhood just three blocks east of Union Station at the junction of Front, Wellington and Church Streets.

The development is now NOT going right down Church Street to The Esplanade. I understand that the owner of the block there (where Fionn McCool is) were not interested in selling or participating. The 5 Corners stuff will end about where Keg is now and, as noted elsewhere, they are about to move to London on the Esplanade.

Back