Toronto The Berczy | 41.76m | 13s | Concert | Arcadis

Newer Render from their website:

http://www.concertproperties.com/pr.../country3/province17/region36/property146.htm

New
sb47d1748022f7e.jpg

Old
sb4665d23d4b3a7.jpg

i prefer the older version's facade more than the newer version.

the columns in the new one cuts the space up too much.

come to think of it ... the new rendering for Five Corners resembles slightly like a shortened version of Kings Court @ King + Sherbourne to me ~ :)

100.jpg
sb47d1748022f7e.jpg

from today's Daily Commercial News....

CONDOMINIUM APARTMENT, RETAIL & OFFICES Proj: 9046545-15

Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON NEGOTIATED/PLANNING

Five Corners, 51-61 Front St, 6-16 Church St, the Esplanade, M5E
$25,000,000 est

Start: September, 2010 Complete: March, 2012

Note: Owner is seeking Municipal Council approvals for rezoning. An Ontario Municipal Board hearing was held late Summer, 2009. Preliminary OMB approvals are in place. A final OMB resolution is expected late 2009. Const Mgr expects to seek Council site plan approvals when the rezoning is in place. Owner expects Working drawings will begin early 2010. Sales and marketing are anticipated Spring/Summer 2010. Schedules for Completion of Working drawings, Invited tender for Gen Cont and construction will be finalized based on occupancy. Further update early Spring, 2010.

Project: concrete pile foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, masonry exterior, split face CMU exterior, metal roof deck, membrane roofing, fuel fired heating system, package air conditioning/heat pump system, proposed construction of a 13-storey terraced midrise condominium building with 170 suites. The project will include approximately 12,000 sq ft of retail space at grade level and the reconstruction of a heritage facade at 6 Church St. The project will be certified under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System.
Scope: 17,000 m²; 13 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 170 units; parking for 180 cars
Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services; Commercial offices

Ugh!

I really hate this one. If it's still the plan shown in the "new" rendering above, then this is the worst kind of historicist schlock imaginable: worst because this is the kind of building that people will point at and say 'look how sensitive it is to its historical context by blending in with the brick of the other buildings' as if brick were the only determining factor in style. One only has to look at the existing neighbouring buildings shown in the rendering, however, to see that the form and details of this proposal have nothing whatsoever to do with those neighbours beyond the brick.

Historicky.

This building would look a lot better if the brick and columns continued above the fourth floor (something like The Avenue comes to mind).

The glass top is the bad part of this planned building.

Well, it didn't take long for that prophesy to come true.

Truth is that both parts suck individually, and the whole sucks greater than the sum of its parts.

I like the new design, a definite improvement. The building on its own is just fine imo... but its kind of a no win situation at this corner. What could they possibly build that would live up to the elegance of the row of heritage buildings to the west? Just about anything is going to look out of place to some extent. I think they've done well matching the brick portion with the neighbouring elevations. I dont find it to be overly faux historicist - they clearly were able to resist duplicating the peaked window treatments. I think the overall approach here is somewhat in line with LotE, mixing a contextual element with a modernist element.

Redroom - - - I don't think it is a no win situation here. I know we're only looking at one measly rendering, and a lot about this building's design remains to be ascertained, but from what I think I see, the architects don't seem to have respected the proportions of the historic buildings down the street, which are a strong bunch. I think that's the way to win: reinterpret and enhance the historic context by not pretending to be historic, but by being sensitive to the proportions and massing of the best of the surroundings, and where you go above the rooflines of the lower buildings, drop the cornicey details, and just admit with the tower section that this is 2012 (well, by the time this is built...)

Last edited:
City Planning Request for Directions Report

Finally, some activity/updates on this project ... Not bad looking :)

this is quite a massive bulky slab though ~

To be considered by Toronto & East York Community Council on October 13, 2009:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-23837.pdf

This application originally proposed a two-phased mixed-use building ranging in height from 8 to 11 storeys at 51-61 Front Street East, 6-16 Church Street and 70 The Esplanade.

The purpose of this report is to seek a revised direction from City Council regarding Concert Properties Ltd.’s appeal to the Ontario Municipal Board respecting requests for Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendments.

The details of the development application for Phase 1 have changed slightly through the site plan review process and since City Council approved a Settlement Report on June 27, 28 and 29, 2006.

This report deals with the request from the applicant, Concert Properties Ltd., to move forward with Phase 1, allowing for a separation of the Phase 1 and Phase 2 heritage requirements and the Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendments, should Phase 2 not move forward.

Elevations
51-61Front-1.jpg
51-61Front-2.jpg
51-61Front-3.jpg
51-61Front-4.jpg

I especially like the east elevation, lots of neat set backs. Though as I look at it I'm reminded that we will be losing the Keg restaurant located along that stretch of Church St. which seems quite a shame. Ive always liked Church between Front and the Esplanade... gives you that "Old Town" feel. The only thing that is truly calling out for being redeveloped is the book store at the corner.

I especially like the east elevation, lots of neat set backs. Though as I look at it I'm reminded that we will be losing the Keg restaurant located along that stretch of Church St. which seems quite a shame. Ive always liked Church between Front and the Esplanade... gives you that "Old Town" feel. The only thing that is truly calling out for being redeveloped is the book store at the corner.

The Keg is moving into London on the Esplanade so it will remain in the vicinity - probably with a terrace.

come to think of it ... the new rendering for Five Corners resembles slightly like a shortened version of Kings Court @ King + Sherbourne to me ~ :)

100.jpg
sb47d1748022f7e.jpg

Bang on. If this does to Church, south of Front, what Kings court does to Sherbourne north of King, I'll be sad...

I find it deceptive that they only showed us half of this boat in the rendering. It's as if they wanted us think about those nice old warehouses on Front, and not notice them tearing down a very friendly little block. (aside from the defaced bookstore on the corner).

Deeper setbacks and a wider sidewalk, if you must build this please.

Last edited:

Back