Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

The usage of red brick would be refreshing here. Battery Park City in NYC, has some nice residential buildings that incorporate the use of brick.

cruzin4u, your addition of red to the render just improved it 100%. This city must stop being afraid of colour.

Toronto is colourful at night, due to the LEDs, car lights etc, but by day reverts to a sea of grey and beige. I'd love to see more strong colour like this on the daytime skyline. Great work.

I wouldn't say that we are a city afraid of colour. The Financial District is actually quite diverse colour-wise. We have the green Trump Tower with the red Scotia Plaza, the white FCP, blue Bay Adelaide Centre, the black TD centre, the gold Royal Bank Plaza...the list goes on. Granted we have numerous concrete and stone buildings that can be considered grey and lots of monotonous blue and green glass, we are a very colourful city compared to most in north america. Colour isn't indicative of beauty: Washington D.C. is a stunning city - dominated by stone and concrete but still beautiful.

What about a splash of colour? Doesn't have to be this shade, but any colour.

V2Ke26s.jpg

V2Ke26sx.jpg

V2Ke2611.jpg

these are awesome. the green is especially awesome (colour scheme reminds me of limelight in mississauga!)
I can only imagine how this would look at night driving along the Gardiner!

Even if the strips were a dark blue, it would still work for me.

I wouldn't say that we are a city afraid of colour. The Financial District is actually quite diverse colour-wise.

Yes I think it's more accurate to say we've become a city with local architects who are afraid of colour in new developments, especially in the high rise residential sector. Apart from a couple of exceptions, green, grey and pale blue/grey prevail.

A splash of colour really would elevate this design. I can't imagine that it would be prohibitively expensive or that it would turn away potential buyers. Still, I'd be shocked if Tridel did something so "bold" as to use a little colour here. The fact that they built Reve, which is a favourite of mine, gives me with some faint hope.

I wonder if we email/tweet Tridel or Wallman with this idea, would it work?

That red addition is stunning!

Tridel and Wallman are most certainly familiar with this thread. And considering they both know a thing or three about building and design I highly doubt they don't know how to add colour to a building. The process of building in Toronto is a lot more complicated than just using photoshop and saying here you go.

Red looks great from the outside, but unless it's spandreled glass, there's going to be a tint for the resident on the inside. Tough to say weather or not those are windows or not from the render, but like Ed said it's not as easy as that!

I believe that it's precast. In this render you can see it's white precast. I don't think it would be hard to try another precast colour or am I wrong?

Untitled-1tridel.jpg

Then again, from the render, it looks like there are different shades of glass. It's pretty hard to tell what's going on with the renders. It would be nice if TWM could chime in and give us some input.

I am just worried that since we have so many overcast days in Toronto, this building will just end up looking dull if infact we are getting another grey building.

I understand there is more to a building than a simple 5 minute photoshop job. Then again there's more to a building than a fancy render.

Last edited:
I wonder if we email/tweet Tridel or Wallman with this idea, would it work?

That red addition is stunning!

Oh-oh, rowd-sourced project design. Anyone care to look after anything other than colors, such as structural supports?

Back