News   Jul 15, 2024
 716     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 879     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 625     0 

Toronto Tech Boom

It is like traffic congestion.

Good problem to have, so long as we don't choke ourselves in it.

To be honest, choking is what I almost do every time I'm looking for housing whilst drinking a tea. Unlucky for you guys, it doesn't quite end up all over my laptop or tablet either. :p

Oh yeah, how's that going thus far?

That's a great idea, but as far as I can tell single family detached is still a deity around these parts.
The sanctity of neighbourhoods such as The Annex with their five subway stations, in light of our housing demands, affordability crisis and skyrocketing population growth, is indeed questionable.

Well, I am personally determined to not allow our city to become the victim of its own success. I'm not a policymaker however, and the powers that be appear more concerned with winning perceived personal slights than with a Toronto that competes on the international stage.

A good moment of pause:

Canada’s ‘innovation economy’ has been over-hyped and needs a reality check
If you look past the feel-good headlines, the analysis of Canada’s innovation activities is misguided at its best. It lacks the precise goal orientation necessary to deliver meaningful and sustainable economic growth relative to the significant public expenditures aimed at transforming our economy. At its worst, the current discourse entrenches a stranglehold on Canada’s innovation inputs by universities, regional innovation centres and foreign tech giants.
The reality in the knowledge-driven global economy is that the ownership of intellectual property (IP) is paramount and a precondition to commercialization. Those who generate, own and commercialize valuable ideas have the greatest ability to create wealth. The rest – those companies and countries without deep IP stocks – will fight over table scraps.
The business strategies that allowed U.S. tech companies such as Facebook, and Chinese champions such as Huawei, to become global giants resemble colonial economics: concerted efforts to own every valuable idea and extract rents on nearly insurmountable advantages. These include monopolies on information, talent, data flows and the sidelining of smaller competitors.
Acquisitions of early-stage Canadian tech companies are often heralded as great successes but these are false positives for our national economy. While some founders and their investors may pocket a few million dollars, this is the wrong metric by which to evaluate the benefits of publicly supported innovation. Canadian taxpayers spend billions annually on university research and development projects, the federal Industrial Research Assistance Program, Scientific Research and Experimental Development tax credits, and Canada’s technology hubs and accelerators (to name just a few of many programs).
Early acquisition and the expatriation of IP will too often result in the widespread economic benefits of Canadian public investment in innovation – job creation and tax revenue that commercialization creates – occurring elsewhere.

Under these circumstances, it is deeply troubling that those who speak loudest on behalf of our innovation ecosystem not only encourage the acquisition of early-stage Canadian companies and innovations before they grow to scale, but actively enable it.
The growing presence of foreign multinationals has devastating effects on scaling Canadian tech companies. Our companies already face higher hurdles in accessing capital. Now they are facing an increasing talent crunch. Ultimately, the increased presence of foreign giants in our own backyard restricts their ability to grow to a scale that sustains meaningful technical and non-technical job and wage growth for Canadians. Under this reality, early acquisition seems to be the preferred business strategy for Canadian tech entrepreneurs. This will have long-term consequences to our national prosperity and maintaining our standard of living.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...nomy-has-been-over-hyped-and-needs-a-reality/

Microsoft Canada moving offices to CIBC Square as was covered in that thread.

I guess this might mean that they will be moving from there Mississauga offices to downtown?

I guess this might mean that they will be moving from there Mississauga offices to downtown?
I also mentioned about a possible Microsoft Store in CIBC Square that could be a flagship Canadian location.

Yup and in the CIBC Park thread in P&C. It's pretty self-evident that the days of the Mississauga offices is numbered given the general trend of late. I wonder how much of the Markham tech axis will follow suit.

I also mentioned about a possible Microsoft Store in CIBC Square that could be a flagship Canadian location.

I do like some of the recent MS product design (Surface Studio in particular - but oh so expensive for such mediocre specs), but their stores are just so unappealing - crowded, messy, no product focus. Let's face it, I wouldn't put most gaming laptops anywhere customer facing given how ugly those things tend to be (actually - most "gaming" products in general - they tend to look like they're designed by someone with ADD)

AoD

Back