News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 288     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 813     0 

Toronto Tech Boom

I have no legal expertise but two questions about the business models of tech companies I have are:

1) If the primary game is to grow so fast that you monopolize market share, a market defended not by any specific innovation or patent but rather by scale and monopoly itself, isn't this the definition of violating anti-competition or anti-trust laws? If I dominated 70 or 80% of the market for steel my company would be broken up by the government for instance. I could not argue that my business was a "platform" for products built with steel.

2) If the activity of the user is producing data for the company to sell and that is their primary revenue stream then doesn't using the service itself constitute a form of work? So isn't the user than a worker and the data the production? So wouldn't facebook for instance be required to pay you for using it's platform, a relationship they could not contract out of in the fine print?

As I mentioned in a previous thread the primary business activity of any company once it grow to a certain size is public relations and regulatory lobbying. The whole tech and innovation branding of the FANG is part of that marketing strategy.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...bal-technology-innovation-hubs-678163923.html

Toronto ranks among the fastest-growing global technology innovation hubs

Early leadership in artificial intelligence and fintech turning the city into an emerging global centre of influence

TORONTO, March 28, 2018 /CNW/ - Toronto is poised to break out as one of the world's leading technology innovation hubs over the next four years, according to an annual survey of global tech industry leaders in KPMG International's latest Global Technology Innovation report.

"Toronto has been rapidly grabbing the world's attention as a destination for financial and intellectual capital in technology innovation," says Anuj Madan, National Industry Leader for Technology, Media and Telecommunications at KPMG in Canada. "Only a couple of years ago, Toronto likely didn't come up in conversations as a go-to global destination for innovation. But smart and early investments in artificial intelligence and fintech, coupled with a diverse workforce, have positioned the city as an emerging global centre of influence in machine and deep learning, setting the stage for Industry 4.0."

Home to a dynamic ecosystem with more than 4,000 active start-ups and over 22,500 new tech jobs from 2015 to 2016, Toronto is the only Canadian city to be ranked as a world-leading tech hub of the future. Six per cent of global leaders said the city is outpacing the competition as it competes with Silicon Valley and San Francisco, the world's foremost technology market and entrepreneurial culture. While not featured in the ranking, Vancouver was named by one per cent of the global respondents.

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 10.17.14 AM.png

"Global tech titans such as Uber, Google Brain, Deep Mind and Alphabet's Sidewalk Labs are expanding their research capacity and directing their investment dollars to Toronto, tapping into the city's multi-cultural and highly skilled workforce. Additionally, more than 300 fintech firms operate in Canada today, with that number expected to grow to 1,000 over the next five years," adds Madan.

Learn more about the world's leading tech innovation hubs, including a Canada-focused country perspective, by accessing the full report.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 10.17.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 10.17.14 AM.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 588
It will be the first time that conference would be held outside the United States.

Well, to be fair, the article also does say that the conference is only in its fifth year, though three years in a row, in its early years, in Toronto is pretty impressive for a tech conference that's one of the fastest growing in the US and will certainly help put Toronto on the map.

Man, I must be getting desperate. I read the article from Bloomberg yesterday and all I could think of was how much shittier trying to find a rental is going to be now.
....or already is. My realtor hasn't been able to find me anything in the last six weeks and I'm down to overpaying for old apartment block lodgings.

Man, I must be getting desperate. I read the article from Bloomberg yesterday and all I could think of was how much shittier trying to find a rental is going to be now.
....or already is. My realtor hasn't been able to find me anything in the last six weeks and I'm down to overpaying for old apartment block lodgings.
Well, we could always you know... increase the supply of housing.

Well I think there are already enough threads about the cost of housing in Toronto but Tech booms or booms of any kind certainly won’t help affordability. That being said Toronto is probably one of the few Cities on the Amazon hq2 list that could actually absorb thousands of tech workers with the least local impact. Affordability from an American perspective has also probably increased with a million Canadian dollar house looking more reasonable at $750,000 US$.

Well I think there are already enough threads about the cost of housing in Toronto but Tech booms or booms of any kind certainly won’t help affordability. That being said Toronto is probably one of the few Cities on the Amazon hq2 list that could actually absorb thousands of tech workers with the least local impact. Affordability from an American perspective has also probably increased with a million Canadian dollar house looking more reasonable at $750,000 US$.

Unaffordability - as bad as it is - is probably a good problem to have.

AoD

Back