Toronto Sugar Wharf Condominiums (Phase 1) | 231m | 70s | Menkes | a—A

View from the penthouse at ~220 metres:

EubPZWE.png

AG, have you not learned that yet in the 800 years you've been on this forum?

Of course i have..lol, i thought it was more like, the architect comes out with a nice design, it goes to city planning where they decide its way too large and must be chopped, it comes back to the developer where now his profit margin has been minimized.
.....now embroiled in the approval process for years, he tells the architect to just re-design something so and so and cheapen it to make city planning happy:p

I agree with you there. I remember my initial reaction to them was that they were a boring simple design.
They were. But they were also monumental icons simply for their placement and unquestioned dominance over the immediate landscape. I remember going up to the observation level of one of the towers late in the fall of '81, almost exactly twenty years before they were brought down. From practically anywhere in Manhattan or Hoboken, or Jersey City, they were improbable, hugely impressive structures, albeit in a monstrous sort of way - surreal twin hulks looming over the southern tip of the island. But they were also vividly memorable.

These twin towers? They'd have to have the same kind of commanding height. They just look like mild twists on other similar towers already cluttering up the immediate landscape. More soaring blandness.

Back