Toronto Sugar Wharf Condominiums (Phase 1) | 231m | 70s | Menkes | a—A

Sewage smell WislaHD? Are you serious?

Offensive smells from Ashbridges bay never seem to make it this far on Queens Quay.

Today, while shopping, traveling on Queen East, Lake Shore, Coxwell, Eastern ave, Carlaw, Parliment and on Queens Quay the only smells I registered were from Ashbridges Bay Water treatment facility and the asphalt / roofing plant on Commissioners.

We skated today at Sherboure Commons no smells, just a pleasant skate.

Spend some time down here and decide for yourself.

Sewage smell WislaHD? Are you serious?

Offensive smells from Ashbridges bay never seem to make it this far on Queens Quay.

Today, while shopping, traveling on Queen East, Lake Shore, Coxwell, Eastern ave, Carlaw, Parliment and on Queens Quay the only smells I registered were from Ashbridges Bay Water treatment facility and the asphalt / roofing plant on Commissioners.

We skated today at Sherboure Commons no smells, just a pleasant skate.

Spend some time down here and decide for yourself.
I didn't say that it had a constant presence. But it does rear its way over a few times over the summer.

I can't say I am ever near this stretch during the winter time, so I cannot attest to that.

I've never noticed Ashbridge's west of the Don River.

The smell from Redpath's can get really strong on a hot, humid day though.

hypothetically... years from is it possible for a builder to build a tower directly in front of Sugar Wharf...in place of the existing redpath sugar factory, if the factory does close down?

hypothetically... years from is it possible for a builder to build a tower directly in front of Sugar Wharf...in place of the existing redpath sugar factory, if the factory does close down?

Pretty sure they'll be height restrictions so a Tower as big as Sugar Wharf don't think will be plausible here.

Yes to both , but the smell from Redpath is a far more pleasant smell - sugar cane!

Are you sure it's Ashbridge's Bay? It's plausible I guess. It does go against wind direction. Yonge and Front has or has had that unforgettable smell. The Harbour can have a strong odor too.

P1090637.JPG

I know I'm beating a dead horse but this is why we can't have nice things in this city:

"Sugar Wharf community in the East Bayfront area has the distinction of being the best-selling new condominium project in Canada for 2018. Launched in Summer 2018, the first phase's two towers have sold 1,241 units, or 85% of the total 1,463 units on offer"

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2019/02/sugar-wharf-ranked-top-selling-condo-canada-2018

Pretty sure they'll be height restrictions so a Tower as big as Sugar Wharf don't think will be plausible here.

Is that always the case? I ask with a vested interest as I plan to buy at Sugar Wharf but have concerns that if I buy something faceing the water today. Something is most likely to come up when RedPath is forced out in its place. Now I understand there is always that risk but I am intrigued by your statement regarding height restrictions - is it for certain that a tower can just come up and block most of the view of the Sugar Wharf suites?

Is that always the case? I ask with a vested interest as I plan to buy at Sugar Wharf but have concerns that if I buy something faceing the water today. Something is most likely to come up when RedPath is forced out in its place. Now I understand there is always that risk but I am intrigued by your statement regarding height restrictions - is it for certain that a tower can just come up and block most of the view of the Sugar Wharf suites?
There is always a risk to lose your view, unless you bought at the water's edge, or in front of a public park. Always buy with this expectation and you'll be fine.

In the case of this development, I think the risk is very low. Most likely you won't see anything taller than the planned Bayside block. However there is an argument for massing similar to Pier 27, which has much taller structures to the North of the block. So, if you're buying here, aim for a 40+ floor to mitigate your risk.

But in my opinion, you won't see any movement for the next 10+ years (at best).

There is always a risk to lose your view, unless you bought at the water's edge, or in front of a public park. Always buy with this expectation and you'll be fine.

In the case of this development, I think the risk is very low. Most likely you won't see anything taller than the planned Bayside block. However there is an argument for massing similar to Pier 27, which has much taller structures to the North of the block. So, if you're buying here, aim for a 40+ floor to mitigate your risk.

But in my opinion, you won't see any movement for the next 10+ years (at best).

Thanks for your input, i'm looking to pull the trigger on a suite that is on the 53rd floor, south facing. Only time will tell what ends up happening to red path

AFAIK, anyone buying down here is signing away their right to complain about any odours from Redpath as they acknowledge it as a pre-existing use of the area. It's part of every residential purchase contract in some radius around the site.

That's correct.

Thanks for your input, i'm looking to pull the trigger on a suite that is on the 53rd floor, south facing. Only time will tell what ends up happening to red path

Is it numbered 53 or actual 53? I bought above the 70th numbered floor (because no 4's in the numbers on the elevator buttons/doors, the actual is about 10 below that). I think Phase 2 will be going in southwest of Phase 1? So depending on which way you face in these buildings, you have to be very high up to guarantee a view. Due south sounds good. I wouldn't worry about the Redpath situation. Everything is a gamble in the end but I agree that Redpath seems determined to stick around.

Back