Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Many LED's have a bluish tint

White LEDs, that aren't RGB triads, are made from Blue LEDs with a yellow phosphor. Depending on the phosphor formulation, they tend to look blueish.

White LEDs, that aren't RGB triads, are made from Blue LEDs with a yellow phosphor. Depending on the phosphor formulation, they tend to look blueish.
White LEDs have come a long way and there is no need for them to have that blue/purple tinge like they used to, but you're right that they can look this way if the phosphor mix is poor. Most lower grade white LEDs will have this tinge because the output can be measured at a higher level when the color temp is higher like this and even when you order what you think are 6500K LEDs, you'll get something that measures well above 8000K. I really hope they didn't take shortcuts with this product and use low-grade LEDs. That people are reporting various shades of white/blue/purple also doesn't sound very promising, as it's a sign of poor color binning and it would really suck if this light feature had color consistency issues that became even more splotchy over time.

If they're RGB and simply not adjusted to their corrected levels yet, then there's less to worry about.

I really like the potential of this lighting element and thin it can look fantastic - the only negative is that it won't be a more prominent feature of the skyline from other more popular angles, such as from the tower or lake.

bruvyman said:
You don`t need to be an architect or construction worker to participate in this forum. I`m no architect or expert in any way, but I and everyone on here shares your enthusiasm for the built form of this city. That`s all you need in order to be welcomed on UT (not being an ass helps too).

doug said:
You might want to take your own advice for a change.
See my last point above.
Well said. Ignore doug - he does little more than take potshots at people who are actually able to put more than 3 sentences together.

Last edited:
photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

as of Sep 12, 2011

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 230
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 222
Trump looks awesome from the Hilton. I always stop to look when I walk by.

The top of Trump is such a refreshing addition to the skyline.

Well said. Ignore doug - he does little more than take potshots at people who are actually able to put more than 3 sentences together.

Oh look, it's hypocricy , rearing its ugly head again.

The lighting on Trump. It looks more purple the closer you get.
[video=youtube;E1hLcfMYQjs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1hLcfMYQjs[/video]

love the lighting.. its way better then i was expecting. Great job! great capture! even from a phone. but seriously people buy an actual camera. phones arnt ment for taking pitures. nore for texting .. they are actualy ment for talking on.. though everyone in the world forgot that!

FYI, Not everyone carries around their $900+ cameras around at 6am on their way to work with the hopes of possibly catching a new development and/or something completely random and out of the blue.
The point of my (and Geekaroo's) photo was not to display the clear, crisp images iPhones capture (which they don't), but rather to document interesting findings meant to create an intelligent and engaged discussion.
I'm sorry to hear you have a beef with mobile devices, but welcome to 2011 - It only gets more complicated from here!

Onto Trump; the LED does have a purple tinge to it in person for now. I'm sure the colours change. As for star wars, I don't see the correlation? LOL Unless you mean The Donald is actually Darth Vader?

thanks for the video TV!

The lighting is a great addition to this building... AND it would make sense that it would change colors once it's fully complete and I'm assuming many other effects...

I remember reading something somewhere (city doc perhaps) that said the spire would be "glass'. I realize this is not likely (perhaps plexi or other transparent resin)... Wochop will no doubt find out the truth... but I guess the notion is the spire will be LED lit within, which would continue the lighting from the bottom to the top (as opposed to exterior lighting).

Even though this may qualify as a sow's ear/silk purse, it is a bit intriguing. Though Trump is a disappointment to most, a little light drama in under-lit Toronto is always fun for those of us looking for night time eye candy.

The lighting on Trump. It looks more purple the closer you get.
[video=youtube;E1hLcfMYQjs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1hLcfMYQjs[/video]

i have to say, the lighting is a very nice touch.... should be extremely recognizable from Adelaide street. (and possibly from a distance??? will people be able to see this on the skyline?)

And yes, it's going to be very fun to look at.... AndroidUK is gonna have a crazy shot from the ground all the way up the spire at night when the hoarding is removed!!!

Back