Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

So can we now refer to this as the Birther Tower? Also, I wonder how its purchasers feel about having their real estate tied to the reputation of a man who's gone from entertaining showman to entirely disreputable sell-out in a hurry?

Why should highrise construction extend into this area? It's generally a stable, low-rise area. There's nothing wrong with a little bit of redevelopment (12 Degrees, RCMI) but I see no need to continue the development that's occuring within the ED north of Queen, except for along University where the subway is.

Agreed. I would hardly call this area a blank slate. Seems to me this is one of the last intact Victorian-era districts close to downtown. I bike through it every day and its full of historic character and quality old buildings. A little shabby here and there, sure, but I think the density should go elsewhere.

I dont disagree that this area is wonderful and charming etc. The point is that there are lots of other such areas that are experiencing new development. I am just curious why nobody is looking at this area? is it written in Toronto's constitution, "thou shalt not develop here"? It just seems odd that such a well defined rectangle is absolutely immune to this 10 year long building boom. You'd think at the very least that along the main avenue of Spadina we'd see some increase of mid-rise density seeing as its on a major street car line that has its own ROW...

I call this Check'n the View

Pic of workers on Trump Crane

gkane_checkin_the_view.jpg

Attachments

• gkane_checkin_the_view.jpg
    gkane_checkin_the_view.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 294
sweet angle (my guess from the 68th floor at FCP!)
Hey WopChop, can you tell us an official floor count for this bad boy?

EDIT:
Don't know why he didn't post this yet, but here's a sexy shot by UT member wyliepoon
Check out how sweet the glass/setback looks here! this tower can be really awesome haters....

From wyliepoon at flickr

5642022947_80ed4feeea_b.jpg

wylie

Last edited:
I believe that they are in the midst of 50 or 51. I would have to double check that. The weather has been a big delay this week.

Nice!
It's so awesome that we finally have a ut member that gives us updates and ACTUALLY posts frequently!!!
Btw: Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are u a skyscraper fan/geek like us? and do most guys involved with the project geek-out over the views? Or do they not care? Cause I'd kill to be that high up with such views everyday!

Lets have some fun here:) So say 50 floors.. if indeed it has reached the height of BAC-1 at 215 meters, now you have 9 floors to go times aprox. 4 meters per floor equals 36 meters plus the existing built at 215 meters equals a total of 251 meters to the roof..thats without the rooftop thingy and spire....so now you have the thingy, onion dome, whatever you want to call it which potentialy can be anywhere from 3 to 6 storeys (depends on what render you see) lets say its 6 floors at 4 meters for a total of 65 floors which has been rumoured, thats now an extra 24 meters in which you have a total height of 275 meters, now add the spire at aprox. 25 meters and you have a total of 300 meters which would make it the tallest structure in Canada and first supertall in Toronto ...you got all that..Lol:D:cool:

Nice!
It's so awesome that we finally have a ut member that gives us updates and ACTUALLY posts frequently!!!
Btw: Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are u a skyscraper fan/geek like us? and do most guys involved with the project geek-out over the views? Or do they not care? Cause I'd kill to be that high up with such views everyday!

So, I re-checked, and they are forming verticals for 52. For future reference, the RCS typically extends down about 4 floors. For a reference point, the curtain wall currently encloses up to L37.

I'd definitely call myself a skyscraper geek ;) Not sure if everyone else on site is, or not. The thing is, working in construction is like working anywhere else. You get really jaded and sometimes don't appreciate that view. Or the bigger picture. It's pretty easy to forget that you're working hundreds of feet up, or constructing a monstrously large structure.

Last edited:
Lets have some fun here:) So say 50 floors.. if indeed it has reached the height of BAC-1 at 215 meters, now you have 9 floors to go times aprox. 4 meters per floor equals 36 meters plus the existing built at 215 meters equals a total of 251 meters to the roof..thats without the rooftop thingy and spire....so now you have the thingy, onion dome, whatever you want to call it which potentialy can be anywhere from 3 to 6 storeys (depends on what render you see) lets say its 6 floors at 4 meters for a total of 65 floors which has been rumoured, thats now an extra 24 meters in which you have a total height of 275 meters, now add the spire at aprox. 25 meters and you have a total of 300 meters which would make it the tallest structure in Canada and first supertall in Toronto ...you got all that..Lol:D:cool:

That would be nice but unfortunately they're still a floor or two short of BAC and there's only 7 floors to go now.

wopchop said:
So, I re-checked, and they are forming verticals for 52.
&
As per my drawings,

The super penthouses are on levels 56 and 57 (227.185m)

Levels 58 and 59 are tank roofs, with the highest being at 236.505. Everything above this point is not part of a typical floor.

The building is 276.886 metres to the top of the spire.

Back