Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

excellent aerial photo! makes it clear in my mind that the area bounded by University, Queen West, Spadina and College could and should really be targeted as another area to expand highrise construction into...

I think for now we should start with the Entertainment district, and then push north from there.

Thanks wopchop.

Taken today from Moss Park

Trump-Apr25,11(11).jpg

Great pic! Trump's east side is looking real good now (the upper portion), it's got vertical setbacks and all! a switch from the standard "flat" faced building. trump should be the centerpiece of many views like this, the spire and onion dome spell out iconic!

and that aerial shot by Schulich07 is really unique! and yes, i'd like to see the entertainment district and areas north of it built up (higher), it'll be a whole new dense downtown area! (not as green/lowrise/residential). and the way Queen's park cuts right through it all is quite impressive!

and regarding the onion dome, i think it'll take a while. Just remember how long it took the Ritz's roof slant to form. even with the steel construction, those things are time consuming!

This is a fun shot from Trump Toronto's facebook:
funny how close yet far away it seems from the bay adelaide centre! i feel like i could lean over and touch it!

229797_206064956093626_110447845655338_610370_8288422_n.jpg

very neat stuff ^^^ my most anticipated angle for viewing the onion dome + spire. (oh wait! i forgot! Canada tower will block it off!)
what amazes me is that you can see Commerce Court West from head to toe. weird how there's a gap like that that allows such a tall tower to be fully seen,

I think for now we should start with the Entertainment district, and then push north from there.

thats a given though, highrise construction is alive and well in the Ent. District with plenty more in sales or proposal stage. The area I mentioned is virtually a blank slate and it seems that there is no will right now to push such development into that area... and it seems a bit perplexing as to why that is.

thats a given though, highrise construction is alive and well in the Ent. District with plenty more in sales or proposal stage. The area I mentioned is virtually a blank slate and it seems that there is no will right now to push such development into that area... and it seems a bit perplexing as to why that is.

Very true. Most of the Entertainment Districts buildings though (aside from Bell Lightbox, but that's a bit further south) are pretty average in height (around 30 storeys). There are some 40+ ones going in along King St, but that hasn't really pushed up as far as Richmond or Queen yet (there may be some in the proposal stage that I haven't heard about, but as for under construction right now, nothing really fits that bill). It just looks like the skyline drops off a cliff west of Simcoe and north of King. That 'depression' in the skyline continues pretty much all the way up to College (the area you were talking about). I just think that that little nook north of King and west of Simcoe should fill in a bit more first, to get a more uniform push north.

excellent aerial photo! makes it clear in my mind that the area bounded by University, Queen West, Spadina and College could and should really be targeted as another area to expand highrise construction into...

Why should highrise construction extend into this area? It's generally a stable, low-rise area. There's nothing wrong with a little bit of redevelopment (12 Degrees, RCMI) but I see no need to continue the development that's occuring within the ED north of Queen, except for along University where the subway is.

Why should highrise construction extend into this area? It's generally a stable, low-rise area. There's nothing wrong with a little bit of redevelopment (12 Degrees, RCMI) but I see no need to continue the development that's occuring within the ED north of Queen, except for along University where the subway is.

Agreed. I would hardly call this area a blank slate. Seems to me this is one of the last intact Victorian-era districts close to downtown. I bike through it every day and its full of historic character and quality old buildings. A little shabby here and there, sure, but I think the density should go elsewhere.

Back