Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

^^^ I'm surprised you were able to take photos from Commerce Court! The last few times I've been anywhere near there, security guards decend on me and say 'no photography allowed'!

I have adapted to the very hostile urban environment for photographers. Many times have I been in trouble with security guards. One of the worst places was the laneway between Trump and the Scotia tower. I was happy when Trump was high above ground.

I keep my camera hidden and ready in a case attached to my belt and I plan my shots ahead of time. I was hoping that I might be able to see Trump from the CIBC courtyard. When I saw it I took out my camera and in about two minutes I had all of my shots. I also went there after 5pm when there are fewer security guards around. During the day I want to take all of my shots in under one minute to avoid getting in trouble with the law because most large office towers have security guards aggressively patrolling their grounds.

Last edited:
interesting... I have found CIBC and Scotia to be the worst, even after business hours. Never had any problems at TD Centre or the new Bay Adelaide so i quite enjoy being able to take my time there. If they would actually stop and think, their policies are completely ridiculous because all you have to do is wander a couple feet onto public property and you can essentially take the same photos of their buildings and they cant do a thing about it. Pure stupidity.

The last few times I've been anywhere near there, security guards decend on me and say 'no photography allowed'!

anyone know why security is so strict in these public areas (esp with photography)?. is it due to a bomb threat or something???

^^ Absolutely. RoCP must be boxed in and concealed on all sides. Also, take down The Liberties and Delta Chelsea too.

Do not touch the Liberties, or you shall feel my wrath.

Security is strict because of 911, that was the year people started attacking office towers. Before 911 I do not think anybody cared if you took pictures of buildings. Now they are trying to be proactive and they enforce the "no photography" policy with no exceptions. If I was working in an office tower I think I would feel safer knowing security is aggressive but as a photographer it is very inconvenient.

Last year I was taking photos of reflections at the Ontario Power Generation building at University and College and I was taking my time because I did not think there would be any problems. A security guard came out and told me I had to leave the property or I could go to the security desk and apply for a permit to take photos.

The most trouble I had was taking photos from the laneway between Scotia and Trump. That laneway is not a "public" area so I would be immediately challenged by Scotia security when I stepped onto the laneway. I told them I just wanted to go and look thru the windows in the hoarding to see the Trump construction site and that was allowed. I had my camera hidden and when I got to the window I would quickly take my camera out and stand in a way that security would hopefully not see that I was taking pictures. Most of the time the Scotia guards would immediately come over and tell me taking photos of Trump from the laneway was not allowed and I had to stop. I told them I was not taking photos of Scotia and they said they did not care what I was taking pictures of because no photography was allowed. Maybe I should have gone to the Trump developer and asked for a permit to take photos?

Wikipedia

There were plans to connect the building to Toronto's underground PATH network. Recently this plan was halted due to the high costs associated with tunneling under the city.

Is it true that Trump will have no access to the PATH system? I find that amazing and almost unfathomable for a Hotel in the core.

I sure hope that isn't true. Indeed, I would hope that the city would require PATH connections when a building is in proximity to the network.

From what I remember people discussing, there is a PATH connection. I thought I remembered seeing the knockout panels when they were building in the hole.

from today by me

urbanstuffgoodphotos253.jpg

urbanstuffgoodphotos236.jpg

urbanstuffgoodphotos233.jpg

urbanstuffgoodphotos252.jpg

urbanstuffgoodphotos220.jpg

trump is lookin slick! this thing is seriously skinny! :)

Awesome photos guys ^^^ :D

Here's some photos from today (August 26, 2010)
***2 of them were taken from the 68th floor of FCP
4930366899_1af80fa12b_b.jpg

4930324815_fc9cb2a8bf_b.jpg

4930327631_80f2b777f0_b.jpg

4930358819_2a55bdb6ba_b.jpg

4930363649_dd06dfb7f8_b.jpg

4930947284_b1f879fd10_b.jpg

4930955896_d7faa05b52_b.jpg

4930362655_7f5a4633de_z.jpg

4930360453_dbbf88b8e6_b.jpg

4930355005_a7caa59a91_b.jpg

By me: steveve :D