Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

Did Lord Rogers' office lay down the law to them a few years ago when they said it couldn't be cheapened any more?

Yup. The whole project is ridiculous - and fuzzing over historical sewers is just overcompensating for the fact that we've already torn down what's worth preserving on the site. The irony of losing a new building that would be worth preserving because of that.

AoD

Yep. And the whole delay to study how to proceed - it's not like they didn't know the previous market buildings had been on the site.

Yup. The whole project is ridiculous - and fuzzing over historical sewers is just overcompensating for the fact that we've already torn down what's worth preserving on the site. The irony of losing a new building that would be worth preserving because of that.

AoD
LOL! You'd think they've unearthed the Cloaca Maxima. Our heritage people are off the rocker. They let actual historical structures get demolished, dismantled, bastardized - but a sewer? FFS.

Did Lord Rogers' office lay down the law to them a few years ago when they said it couldn't be cheapened any more?

I can't, man! I've watered her down as far as she'll go! I cannot water no more!

ilovelisa11.png

LOL! You'd think they've unearthed the Cloaca Maxima. Our heritage people are off the rocker. They let actual historical structures get demolished, dismantled, bastardized - but a sewer? FFS.

It's a lot of s*** for sure. I mean by all means document it, but having to put a much delayed project on complete halt because of a sewer and some ancillary foundation, while wasting money and time that could otherwise be spent on the proposed building? Sounds like someone is trying mightily hard to kill the project.

And all this during a time when the city couldn't even get its' act together to prevent important heritage structures from being demolished by neglect. I'd say someone need to get their priorities straight.

AoD

According to the 2016 Budget analyst's notes (see: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/bu/bgrd/backgroundfile-86741.pdf ) this is at:

Project Challenges  To date, the project has experienced a number of design changes at the request of clients and stakeholders.  Design errors were also identified by City staff and raised with the consultant. Additional time was required to settle these changes and make the appropriate updates to the design documents.  Project schedule continues to be a challenge given the rich history of market activity and the requirements surrounding the archeological assessment noted above.

Project Status  Construction of the Temporary Market and client relocation was completed in June 2015. 
The Design Development Stage of the new North Market Building has been completed. 
The project is currently in the Bid Documents Stage where City cost checks are required at 50%, 90% and 100% document completion.
Cost checks to date indicate the building will be completed within the current approved budget. 
A Stage 2/3 archaeological assessment of the site was conducted in September 2015. Archaeological evidence of the Market was recovered from the 1831 building. 
In light of these findings, a stage 4 (and final) investigation is needed requiring the existing building to be demolished to allow for full site access. 
The City's Archaeology Consultant has advised that this added step will result in project delay of 6 to 12 months depending on the extent and significance of further archaeological findings. 
The project is expected to be completed in 2018.

At the Government Management Committee on January 4th the committee will be asked for the OK to demolish the existing North Market so that the archaeology can proceed even though final details of the new building are not confirmed.

I will be shocked if this is completed in 2018, or at all.
I certainly doubt a 2018 completion but am confident it WILL be done. The archaeological work is mandated by the Heritage Act and is not some sort of optional activity. That said, I wish they would get on with it - though there is a tender call posted today for the archaeologist who will work with the contractor so something IS happening.

Back