Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

They haven't even begun to tear the old market building down yet. Wasn't the original completion date supposed to be 2013? So this will be at least 7 years late if it is ever built.
Did you read the thread above? The project involved, as all projects must, an archaeological assessment. This went as far as it can go because (as expected) interesting archaeology was found and a Stage 4 assessment is needed and this can only happen once the existing building is demolished. However, the City has a (generally sensible) rule that you can't get a demolition permit until you have an approved building plan. Yesterday Council agreed to allow the demolition and archaeology to proceed because the archaeology will take 6-12 months and Staff recommended that the City will get a better price if they award a construction tender immediately before the construction can start. The Report says opening in 2018.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that a building that starts construction Mid 2017 will open in 2018.

Especially if they decide to preserve the archaeological elements in situ, which will necessitate anything from minor accommodation to more likely redesign.

What worries me most is how they will be able to fit the program into the budget, which will likely be eroded by inflation, exchange rate, etc.

AoD

Last edited:
There is not a snowballs chance in hell that a building that starts construction Mid 2017 will open in 2018.
I agree, I was reporting what the Staff Report says. They say construction in Q3 2016, completion Q4 2018.

• Construction Tender Call, Q2, 2016 (Subject to extent of site archaeology)
• Construction Contract Award, Q3, 2016
• Construction Completion, Q4, 2018 (Subject to confirmation by contractor)

I don't believe that they will be preserving any of the underground finds in situ, but they have to carefully dig and record what they find before it is removed. The parking garage will still be the parking garage, and not an old foundations and sewer museum.

Well, the feckless councillor for the St. Lawrence neighbourhood is one of the reasons there is no North Market building and won't be in this decade.

Progress...

Tender
ecblank.gif
Call number: 162-2016
Commodity:
Construction Services, Facilities renovations
Description:
St. Lawrence Market North Redevelopment, 92 Front Street East, Toronto, Demolition, Enabling and Archaeological Work
Bids are invited from pre-qualified bidders only for the St. Lawrence Market North Redevelopment, 92 Front Street East, Toronto, Demolition, Enabling and Archaeological Work, for Facilities Management Division, all in accordance with the provisions and specifications contained in the Request for Tender (RFT) and the City of Toronto's Procurement Policies, the Price Schedule Form(s), and the City of Toronto Fair Wage Policy and Labour Trades Contractual Obligations in the Construction Industry.
Issue date: April 13, 2016
ecblank.gif
Closing date: April 28, 2016
at 12:00 Noon
Notes:
Viewing Copy
pdf.gif
Tender 162-2016 Viewing Copy.pdf (3645 Kbytes) - Posted on 04/13/2016 12:24:31 PM

Back