News   Jul 15, 2024
 475     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 582     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

Thanks for the update drum. I drove down St. Clair yesterday, and things look like they're moving at a good clip now.

Drum, any idea what's going on at the site of the now demolished "Queen's Dairy" burger joint?? The site has been cleared and there's some kind of concrete retaining wall that has been built.. is it a future park (wishful thinking) or parking lot??

Drum, any idea what's going on at the site of the now demolished "Queen's Dairy" burger joint?? The site has been cleared and there's some kind of concrete retaining wall that has been built.. is it a future park (wishful thinking) or parking lot??

I get the feeling it will be an off street parking lot with flower bed on 2 sides. I know there was supposed to be more off street parking added to replace the lost street ones. There is concrete pour that indicates flower beds is coming.

We will have to see what happens in the coming months.

Tonight is the last night for various parts of Trusty Townsley Loop track work as they will be removed starting Friday Sept 11 for rebuilding of the intersection.

See TT site for detour info for 41, 168, 127. This should give TTC a good view about moving 41 to Weston Rd than Old Weston Rd.

Another part of Toronto and TTC will fade into history as memories with the removal of the switches and track work going north on Old Weston Rd off St Clair Ave existing streetcar tracks. Even those tracks on St Clair will become history as the new tracks for the new ROW will not run in the same location. They will be shift 10 feet to the south in the name of traffic.

The tracks will show up in some of the photo's I shot today. I have done a photo shoot of the loop over the past few years.

Not sure how far north the rebuilding of the road is going north and the tracks in the loop may remain as is.

All the work east of Ford Dr should be 100% completed by the end of Sept. All that remain is installing the light poles that will support the overhead system like it was before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk8WKgoSqFk

Phase II.
The ROW is still not completed as it still waiting concrete. The road is seeing concrete pour for it between Oakwood and Glenholme on the south side.

Sidewalk on the north side between Oakwood and Atlas should be completed by Sept 19 with construction of the road underway.

All the centre poles are up east of Arlington with a few missing the tops. TTC crews were working on the brackets for Wychwood Platform.

I noticed that some platforms have an opening in them where the planter is to go with soil well others don't.

By rights, TTC should be able to run service to Oakwood Loop in Nov, but may hold off tell next year so riders east of Lansdowne don't have to do an extra transfer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wMoM3LJYgM

I see that Ford Street (one block east of Old Weston Road) will be used for transit after a long absence, if only for a short time.

fo1231%5Cf1231_it0429.jpg

fo1231%5Cf1231_it0508.jpg

Phase II.

By rights, TTC should be able to run service to Oakwood Loop in Nov, but may hold off tell next year so riders east of Lansdowne don't have to do an extra transfer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wMoM3LJYgM

I can see a lot of passenger congestion/frustration happening at Oakwood if that's the case. Maybe they could continue providing bus service to St. Clair West station and streetcars to Oakwood. I remember at some point - seems so long ago - there was some overlapping service for a period of time.

Had a quick look at the intersection on my way in and work is taking place like I expected if was going to do.

This is phase 2 out phase 4 for the intersection. The curb lane is been rebuild as well 40' of Old Weston Rd north of St Clair.

Seeing 127 going south on Ford Dr was odd, but like the good old days from the photo's 80+ years ago.

The east sidewalk will be 6 feet smaller in width.

The existing tracks and switches on St Clair will be remove under phase 3 when the building of the ROW starts. Could not get a date as when, but I expect this month. Phase 4 will see the removal of the rest of the track up to the loop and could get no clear answer as to when.

Most of the southbound track was gone as I left.

A lot of concrete was been pour for the rail and top coat just to the east in Phase IV with a very large crew.

I can see a lot of passenger congestion/frustration happening at Oakwood if that's the case. Maybe they could continue providing bus service to St. Clair West station and streetcars to Oakwood. I remember at some point - seems so long ago - there was some overlapping service for a period of time.

I remember the overlapping service running for several months in I think the winter of 2007/8

I think it all comes down to the size of the available streetcar fleet. If it is getting stretched, then they may try and delay their return as long as possible. Perhaps all the way until the new cars arrive. I get the impression that things are getting to the point where even marshalling a few extra cars for St. Clair would be difficult.

I just came across a piece from the Daily Construction News in late August with a construction manager's view of this job. See: http://dcnonl.com/article/id35019

I was sent some photo's for Phase IV for my comments and kind of lost why the problem is there considering I pass this area on Monday and didn't notices it.

Don't know who fault it is, but going to be cover up ASP.

Streetcars are to run from the full length of the ROW by late Feb or March 2010 depending how fast the overhead is installed as well the underground power supplied. Dufferin Construction is to be finish 100% by year end as well the work in Phase II.

Gone from $62m to over $100m and climbing.

I have a feeling the mistakes made here will show up in TC regardless what been learn on this project.

It looks like the remaining work on Phase I is about to get underway.
Traffic cones have been stashed along all St.Clair at the zones that still have the old light standards and above ground hydro.

One of the sidewalk lamps for the St. Clair Gardens BIA portion of the project was installed today on the north-west corner of St. Clair and Caledonia. It looks wonderful. Not as extravaggant as the ones found through the Corso Italia BIA, but they still give off this timeless feeling nonetheless.

Here are the ones found throughout the Corso Italia BIA, I didn't have the opportunity to take a picture of the one I am speaking of yet.
IMG_3928.jpg

Caledonia is the dividing line between the 2 BIA's with Corso Italia BIA having all kind of money to spend on these lights.

The number of light figures has triple to what was there before the start of the ROW.

The other BIA is getting something cheap.

As for the rest of the ROW, nothing at all.

IMG_sept-15-09-0056.jpg

Back