News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.5K     1 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

Real St. Clair bitch-fest in the Star today:

Nightmare on St. Clair
BUMPER BLUES |

As if the chaos weren't bad enough, it now occurs to local residents and commuters that moving along and across this major east-west artery will never be the same again. Are the changes are cutting Toronto in two?
Oct. 8, 2006. 01:00 AM
LESLIE SCRIVENER

Dr. Bruno Vendittelli, a Forest Hill orthodontist, was fed up with the delays on St. Clair Ave. W., where the middle of the road has been torn up to build a streetcar right-of-way.

With one lane open in each direction and bumper-to-bumper traffic, patients were arriving at his office on the strip half an hour late, throwing schedules into disarray.

To remedy this, Vendittelli, who rides to work on his Vespa, has hired a valet service to park patients' cars. It's expensive, he says, declining to reveal just how expensive. But it is working and will continue for the duration of the construction.

Traffic troubles in midtown have residents in an uproar as traffic streams onto the tranquil side streets and drivers endure commutes that have doubled and sometimes tripled.

Just how bad is it?

"It's impossible," says Debra Zucker, who lives near Eglinton and Spadina. "We feel trapped."

Because of the construction, there are few places to cross St. Clair, a major east-west artery. The north-south streets are affected even more, with long, long line-ups of traffic down Russell Hill Rd., Spadina Rd. and Bathurst St.

Some of these inconveniences will be permanent, which has come as a surprise to many residents. Since the transit right-of-way will be six inches high, drivers won't be able to make left turns on or off St. Clair between traffic lights, says Jacqueline White, the city's manager of traffic operations. But left turns and U-turns at intersections with lights are allowed.

"People didn't put two and two together," says Zucker. "When I talk to people in our neighbourhood, they're flabbergasted when they realize this is permanent.

Holy shit, where the **** have these people been the past three years? How many of the countless meetings, notices, flyers, etc did you *not* bother reading?

"What they've done is cut the city in half, and I can only imagine what will happen with the first big snowstorm."

This is what Margaret Smith and others in the citizens' group that fought the right of way have been arguing for years. "We said it was going to happen, and this is a preview of what the St. Clair streetcar will be like," says Smith of Save Our St. Clair (SOS), which in March abandoned its legal challenge to stop the right-of-way.

Now SOS is taking a political tack — endorsing candidates in November's municipal election who support the campaign. "We hope a new council will review the decision and stop the project at Bathurst."

Is this woman on crack? It would cost more to cancel contracts and alter plans (the track and roadbed *still* need to be done) than to go ahead with the original plan.

Commuters and people in neighbourhoods on either side of St. Clair will have to redraw their navigational maps for this part of the city. One popular northbound route is no longer an option: drivers going north on Poplar Plains Rd. used to be able to make a quick right-hand jog on St. Clair before turning left onto Forest Hill Rd.

Cry me a river. So you're in the Land Rover for a few extra blocks. Big effin' deal.

All sorts of routines are being disrupted. Recently, Zucker set off for a 10 a.m. appointment near Summerhill Ave., usually an eight-minute trip. It took her 45 minutes. She says she's reluctant to let her 17-year-old daughter, a new driver, take the family car in the evening because of the confusion. Grocery shopping is curtailed. "I can't go to Loblaws on St. Clair. Forget it."

Horrors! As we all know, there are *no* other grocery shops that stock that specific brand of brie I like for *miles*!

Forest Hill residents are also troubled by the way commuters are using their quiet streets to bypass the construction.

One Saturday morning, lawyer Scott Fenton's children, 9 and 11, were playing outside their house on Lynwood, a small street south of St. Clair, but he pulled them back indoors because traffic was so heavy.

Because of the dense spillover traffic on Lonsdale, parents dropping their daughters at Bishop Strachan School found they couldn't get in or out of the school's circular driveway and sat idling for 10 minutes.

More terror! The little princesses may actually have to walk to school! Or, *shudder*, take the bus!

Susan Ainley, president of the North Hill District Homeowners Association, sat in traffic for half an hour trying to get to a school meeting in Rosedale. "It's beyond belief," she says. "I gave up, came home and sent my regrets."

Ainley worries about increased road rage among commuters. One resident saw the driver of a Mercedes try to pass on the narrow lanes on St. Clair, ending up with his wheel lodged in a hole.

Once again, wealth does not equate with intelligence. Thus the whole project should be scuppered, of course. Can't have beached Benzes cluttering the 'hood, now can we?

"They get mad, they're frustrated by the length of their journey and since they don't live here, they have an anonymity."

Ainley says she supports transit improvement, but was surprised to learn that Toronto Transit Commission studies show trip times will not be reduced by the dedicated streetcar track. "We'd want to think that given the level of disruption — extraordinary disruption — it's for a good reason."

Mitch Stambler, manager of service planning for the TTC, says the point was never to reduce travel time. "The object is to improve the reliability of service."

Projections show that when the work's finished, a streetcar user on the new elevated track will save only five minutes on a round trip between Yonge St. and Keele St.

"You will not ride the streetcar and feel the G-forces," says Stambler. "But if we said it will take 13 minutes to get you somewhere, by God, we'll get you there."

In addition to the roadbed being torn up, sidewalks are being rebuilt, and customers have to walk a plank to get into stores — a situation that will prevail in varying locations on the Yonge-to-Vaughan-Rd. section of St. Clair until December. Construction will continue moving westward to Keele St. and is expected to be complete in 2008.

Not surprisingly, businesses are suffering.

The manager of the Open Window Bakery at St. Clair and Raglan Ave. put a sign in the window saying bread, bagels and buns are half price during construction.

Sales plunged by half in August, when the work started. Now they're about one-third less than what they were at the beginning of the year.

For anyone feeling less than sympathetic toward the wealthy residents of Forest Hill, a local professional who takes the subway to work says this: "They have to get to work, too. These guys pay a lot of taxes and they can't get down to Bay St. to make the big bucks."

Right. I see. So thousands upon thousands of people manage to get by on the subway, but because these bigwigs can't stream down Avenue Road in their Porsches at 90 km/h, the foundations of our economic system will crumble? Uh huh.....

^lol, nice comments you made there... the article's comments about how people continue to sit in their cars despite traffic is simply astounding...

I hate it when all everyone mentions is the "5 minutes saved", the ROW will prevent short turns, blocked lanes by left-turning cars, most car-streetcar collisions, decrease bunching (improve service reliability), give passengers waiting areas, etc, etc, etc...

I agree that people living on Heath St. who got the short end of the stick. But it's worth mentioning that because minor north-south streets are now worthless shortcuts, they should be seeing much lower traffic levels.

The tracks and road needed to be replaced anyways. Why doesn't anyone ever mention that?
As usual pretty bad reporting from the star.

I wonder if that mercedes they are talking about was some jerkoff who cut me off the other week. I was driving to work one day down avenue and i was coming down and i got to a light where there was traffic ahead of me. So instead of me driving into the intersection and blocking it, this asshole in some 80's mercedes cut onto the curb to get around me. What a jerkoff. This whole forrest hill is full of them. I went shopping at Loblaws just last weekend during the rain. it wasn't that bad. Sure there was traffic but didnt really bother me too much.

Wow.

According to this Star article, the St. Clair ROW project is only a few steps above the Anschluss.

Another anti-row star article:

Voters are dangerously riled up over St. Clair streetcar project

Toronto residents don't need real life, everyday evidence to feed their paranoia about city planners and politicians. So, providing them with just cause to be upset at city hall is dangerous, especially in an election year.

Take the St. Clair streetcar right-of-way, for example

It's fashionable to dismiss the opponents of the right-of-way as Woodbridge-living, car-loving, business-first, anti-transit boors who can't see the forest for the trees. After all, which progressive-minded individual can't see the value of making a midtown transit route more commuter-friendly — even if it is a slight inconvenience to the car?

The right-of-way from Yonge St., to just west of Keele St. is a six-inch platform for the streetcar that makes it all but impossible for cars to use the lanes, except where the platform is lowered to road level at some intersections. It is to become the third route with streetcar-only lanes, joining Spadina and the Harbourfront LRT.

Back in the 1990s, when the Spadina line was being rebuilt, the local opposition was incredibly vocal and virulent. As it turned out, business did not die, the disruption was minimal, the line is functional and good and reliable, though not great or spectacular.

Paul Magder, the Spadina furrier who endured the anti-Sunday shopping campaign waged against him by the Ontario government and is most responsible for us being able to shop on Sundays, says, like Sunday shopping, the Spadina right-of-way has turned out not to be nearly the evil it was predicted to be.

Getting there has been tortuous. Traffic accidents. Constantly changing rules and barriers. Confusion. And by now, you'd think the city would have learned how to implement such measures elsewhere in the city.

Not so, apparently. We're just into the start of the construction phase and already there are howls of protest and dissatisfaction.

Even before the tracks were ripped up along St. Clair there was a sizeable group of residents opposed to the plan. They even went to court to try to halt the project, finally giving up and promising to take their fight to the campaign trail — as they are doing.

With all that hubbub, one might have expected the city to stage the construction with the utmost sensitivity. Instead, the current on-the-job operation has the hallmarks of insensitivity — to businesses and residents.

Make the mistake of driving north-south between Avenue Rd. and Bathurst St. now and face a Berlin Wall at St. Clair. The first thought is to ask why didn't they have temporary bridging over the construction tracks to allow cars venturing from Forest Hill, the village, midtown and further north into the city?

The reason traffic works downtown better than in the suburbs is the myriad of options a grid system allows. Vehicles don't all have to use the arterial roads because side streets often present parallel options. Speed bumps may slow vehicles, but they allow through traffic.

So, of course, the current inability to use the alternate north-south routes past St. Clair is a major inconvenience. It's one that should have been minimized greatly to engender local support of the right-of-way project, not further inflame passions against it.

The only saving grace is it is temporary. Oops. Wait a minute. Once the raised platform goes in, the road wall will become permanent. The "inconvenience" is for today and always.

Enter politics and the municipal election.

At risk are the campaigns of Joe Mihevc and Alejandra Bravo, two NDP candidates locked in serious battles in their wards. Bravo came within a few hundred votes of taking the seat in 2003, losing to first-timer Cesar Palacio. Now, Palacio is the incumbent and he has railed against the new project.

Mihevc, more than anyone else, is seen as the father of the project. For that he will benefit the most and lose the most. It all depends on which side gets their vote out; which is more motivated.

There is a considerable constituency in favour of the right-of-way — at least philosophically. We'll see how they feel once the disruption spreads. And we know citizens are often more motivated to vote against something than in favour of it.

Mihevc's opposition comes primarily from ex-mayor John Sewell and ex-city councillor John Adams. That the opposition is split is good news for Mihevc; but also troubling is the quality of the opponents.

Sewell has spoken out strongly about the right-of-way, and his points of conflict speak to the problems of the enterprise.

Given the opportunity to create, almost from scratch, a spectacular street that redefines the boulevard into a pedestrian-friendly, transit-efficient and car-enabling street, the scheme has been compromised almost to the point of not satisfying anyone.

The best that can be said for streetcar travel is it will be reliable — not a small thing. But after tens of millions of dollars, travel along the route will only be marginally faster.

Cyclists and pedestrians don't get the sidewalk space and bike lanes that might have been anticipated. And the car loses a lane in many places.

Add the natural inconvenience of construction disruption, and the Nov. 13 vote stirs up greater passions in this part of the city.

The article is by Royson James - read into that however you wish.

Anyways, it isn't like the Spadina LRT allows for through traffic at all but the busiest intersections anyways, with the track barriers, so really, what's there to complain about?

AoD

Royson James would love nothing more than get Miller's friend Mihevc gone and replaced by Sewell. A theory I heard that the conservative-ish James lost all his leaks and scoops he got from the Mel Lastman clowns, and is grasping at straws.

spm:

A theory I heard that the conservative-ish James lost all his leaks and scoops he got from the Mel Lastman clowns, and is grasping at straws.

I have heard the same from a source inside City Hall as well.

Anyways, an excellent rebuttal by Steve Munro:

www.stevemunro.ca/?p=236

AoD

Candidate would cancel streetcar project
Oct. 10, 2006. 02:25 PM
Thestar.com

Stephen LeDrew, who entered the race to be mayor of Toronto at the last minute, said today he would cancel the St. Clair streetcar project if elected.

“It divides communities, it is not cost effective,†LeDrew told supporters and media at his official campaign launch today.

The exclusive raised streetcar line, under construction west of Yonge St., should be stopped at Bathurst St., with streetcars travelling in mixed traffic west of Bathurst as they now do, he said.

“It was a mistake. We should admit it,†he said.

LeDrew was accompanied by his wife, Lorraine Greey, as he opened his campaign office at Yonge and Bloor streets to the strains of traditional New Orleans jazz supplied by Patrick Tevlin and Big Three.

The campaign headquarters are in a newly constructed building across from the Metro Reference Library, with unfinished concrete floors and unpainted drywall.

The former Liberal Party president, making his first run for municipal office, says he has the management experience to lead the city and stressed that his lack of experience on council is not a hindrance.

LeDrew said David Miller has been a disappointment over the past three years he’s been mayor.

“He’s been the do-nothing mayor in my view,†he said.

^cancelling the row would be the stupidest idea ever... Not only would it leave the project unfinished, but the millions of dollars spent in the EA and in preparation would go to waste. Cancelling it may very well cost more than finishing. However, with 2 million transit riders in Toronto I doubt that he'll be elected.

Ah, the frustrations of democracy. If only we could just shove this down their throats and be rid of this endless debate. Although if Professor Frink is against it...

It'd be bizarre if he morphed into the "Sewell" candidate as a result of this...

From Steve Munro's blog link:

A friend wrote to me recently asking about comparative running times for the Spadina bus and the streetcar line. Back in February 1996 the round trip from Spadina Station to Wellington was 33 minutes compared with 28 to day for the streetcar which turns one stop further north at King. However, as I have discussed elsewhere, if the streetcar had real transit priority, we could probably save an additional 2 minutes each way for a round trip of 24 minutes. That’s a real saving.

This must have been measured at 2 in the morning to get 14 minutes from Spadina station to King. This is my problem with all the ROW debates. I'm very supportive of giving transit vehicles priority, even at the cost of inconvenience to cars, but I just don't see some of these benefits outweighing the costs. The reliability of the Spadina streetcar is abysmal. Almost every time I ride it, there are at least two bunched up.

Back