Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

That’s to the Hoghway 7 Viva stop.

I know both these projects were suppose to open with the TYSSE, but I feel these status updates should be discussed in the Viva Rapidway Construction Thread.

It amuse me that this SMART terminal is still not in operation almost 16 months after the extension open, considering there was very little to be done 9 months ago. Another Bondfield blunder.

For all the money spent on building this line, it already falling apart with major leaks in the stations being one of the major issues. One expect TTC should have learn a few things since they started building subways as to how to build then without water leaks, yet still happening today. Can Ford build new ones that will not leak or fall apart within years of opening??

This is pure poor designing and inspection during construction on TTC part regardless who was the lowest bidder. Same thing would happen with a 2nd or 3rd highest bidder winning the contract.

Last edited:
^Many of the stations were built in areas with known water table/ground water issues (especially both York University and Highway 407). The TTC could have mitigated/covered up the issue to an extent by not cheapening out on the platform design a la Lawrence West style, like they did with the entire extension.

It amuse me that this SMART terminal is still not in operation almost 16 months after the extension open, considering there was very little to be done 9 months ago. Another Bondfield blunder.

For all the money spent on building this line, it already falling apart with major leaks in the stations being one of the major issues. One expect TTC should have learn a few things since they started building subways as to how to build then without water leaks, yet still happening today. Can Ford build new ones that will not leak or fall apart within years of opening??

This is pure poor designing and inspection during construction on TTC part regardless who was the lowest bidder. Same thing would happen with a 2nd or 3rd highest bidder winning the contract.
I suppose with a P3, one criteria would be no leaking. If it does leak, the consortium has to fix.

I know both these projects were suppose to open with the TYSSE, but I feel these status updates should be discussed in the Viva Rapidway Construction Thread.
Both are part of the subway station. The YRT bus terminal north of the subway platforms is a lot closer to the subway platforms than it is to the Viva line along Highway 7. Surely the Viva Rapidway thread is even less relevant than this one! I don't think there are any plans for Viva to service the bus terminal.

Both are part of the subway station. The YRT bus terminal north of the subway platforms is a lot closer to the subway platforms than it is to the Viva line along Highway 7. Surely the Viva Rapidway thread is even less relevant than this one! I don't think there are any plans for Viva to service the bus terminal.
I agree that both projects are part of the subway station, but since the extension has already opened for 16 months, it would be better to separate them to their YRT/Viva related thread. as to the Viva Rapidway construction thread not being relevant to the SmartCentres Place Bus Terminal, that is true but there is not Viva Bus Terminal related threads and so far most of the discussions for YRT bus terminals were discussed there. Also, no Viva service (except probably Viva Silver in 2023) to SmartCentres Place Bus Terminal doesn't make it irrelevant to Viva construction, as YRT and Viva are all in the same.
Yes, should have clarified.
It's part of the VMC Viva Station as there's the elevator right next to it for the westbound platform. And I don't believe the escalators to the Bus Terminal are publicly accessible yet.

I agree that both projects are part of the subway station, but since the extension has already opened for 16 months, it would be better to separate them to their YRT/Viva related thread. as to the Viva Rapidway construction thread not being relevant to the SmartCentres Place Bus Terminal, that is true but there is not Viva Bus Terminal related threads and so far most of the discussions for YRT bus terminals were discussed there. Also, no Viva service (except probably Viva Silver in 2023) to SmartCentres Place Bus Terminal doesn't make it irrelevant to Viva construction, as YRT and Viva are all in the same.

It's part of the VMC Viva Station as there's the elevator right next to it for the westbound platform. And I don't believe the escalators to the Bus Terminal are publicly accessible yet.
The last time I was at VMC, the tunnel to the bus terminal was still block off.

I had a reason to finally exit at VMC for the first time a few weeks ago and was impressed by all the tunnels to connecting buildings there were. I took one PATH and almost wound up by the Highway 400. From the outside though it seems like it'll still be another decade's time before that bustling downtown that was promised comes to fruition; lots of empty fields, industrial zones blocks away and sea of parking lots still.

I had a reason to finally exit at VMC for the first time a few weeks ago and was impressed by all the tunnels to connecting buildings there were. I took one PATH and almost wound up by the Highway 400. From the outside though it seems like it'll still be another decade's time before that bustling downtown that was promised comes to fruition; lots of empty fields, industrial zones blocks away and sea of parking lots still.
There are more tunnels west of KPMG?

I would think that just because a politician, urban planner or developer's sketch calls something a downtown or town centre doesn't necessarily make it so. Other than a mall and a transit teminus, I'm not sure I'd call the Scarborough Town Centre the 'downtown' of Scarborough either in the traditional or modern sense. Both are artificially created, not grown out from an existing centre. Both it and Vaughan may become so, in time.

There are more tunnels west of KPMG?

Oops, misspoke, that's the building I am referring to. It seemed to be a couple blocks west of the station box from where I exited to go outside.

I would think that just because a politician, urban planner or developer's sketch calls something a downtown or town centre doesn't necessarily make it so. Other than a mall and a transit teminus, I'm not sure I'd call the Scarborough Town Centre the 'downtown' of Scarborough either in the traditional or modern sense. Both are artificially created, not grown out from an existing centre. Both it and Vaughan may become so, in time.

Mississauga City Centre which grew up around the mall, begs to differ. If anything, amalgamation is what killed the potential for Scarborough Centre growth because industry and commerce shifted back to Downtown Toronto with its better rapid transit and highway grid already in place to support and further absorb new growth.

Oops, misspoke, that's the building I am referring to. It seemed to be a couple blocks west of the station box from where I exited to go outside.

Mississauga City Centre which grew up around the mall, begs to differ. If anything, amalgamation is what killed the potential for Scarborough Centre growth because industry and commerce shifted back to Downtown Toronto with its better rapid transit and highway grid already in place to support and further absorb new growth.

Fair point but how long did it take. For years it was just a mall servicing a sea of bedroom subdivisions. As you say, it "grew up" around the mall, over several years. It will take Vaughan several years as well was my point.

Mississauga's policy and practice was to ensure the development of a city centre around Square One. It not only built its city hall there, but also its central library, a performing arts centre, and set aside land for the YMCA and Sheridan College. Scarborough did the same (though neither Centennial College or UTSC were close enough to have much effect). But note that no major private office space was built at MCC since Sussex Centre aroud 1990. (Bramalea tried the same, with the Chinguacousy Township offices built, later taken over by Brampton post-amagamation).

Office space prefers to be right downtown or in a business park (like Airport Corporate Centre, Meadowvale, Markham). Even MCC, which has many fans here, has not attracted much corporate investment.

Vaughan, at least, already had the corporate offices (though many are too far to walk from the subway, like the new Cara offices). Will it be successful maintaining a mix of employment and high-rise residential? We'll see.

Back