Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

It will always amaze me as to why half of a billion dollars was spent building a white elephant (Highway 407 Station). A white elephant specifically designed to look similar to an airport terminal.

It will always amaze me as to why half of a billion dollars was spent building a white elephant (Highway 407 Station). A white elephant specifically designed to look similar to an airport terminal.

They could have at least used the air rights above the station to put in some office buildings.

Found something at this link.

Ride the TTC for Free on December 17
Ontario Celebrating Largest Expansion of Toronto’s Subway System in Nearly 40 Years
Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation, along with John Tory, Mayor of Toronto and Josh Colle, TTC Chair, were at Sheppard West TTC station today to announce that on Sunday, December 17, people can ride the entire TTC network for free in celebration of the subway extension opening.

Reactions: PMT
It didn't cost that much, the 407 and Downsview Park Station contracts were packaged with the tunneling work for the line. It should also be noted that the York University Station had an advanced contract for the station box and those figures don't seem to be included in the tally.

Last edited:
thumbnail.png

404 Error: Ridership not found :D

So they spent the most money on the stations that will get the fewest number of riders. Incredible.

I have always wondered why they make all new stations look like art? Why not reduce the budget, make them simpler, and spend the money on extending the line further?

The centre platform was built for the future, when the city finally decides to extend the line west.
There is no need for the centre platform. Even if Line 4 is extended west, there is already a side platform which is very wide. The centre platform can't be used without massive renovation of the station as there is no vertical access to it and it would have to be built.

It is disappointing to watch so many being so critical. Life isn’t perfect. Politics is messy. 8km of subway is an achievement - far too little - far too slowly. Instead, this is the first concrete piece of three (TYSSE, Eglinton, Finch) which are certain.

I’d wait and see how ridership shapes up. There is a woman in my office who will be riding it Monday. She comes from Maple to Don Mills. Right now she rides GO to Union and then comes back up to Eglinton and takes the bus east.

I have watched the same silly discussion here about what a failure UPX is. Another misguided discussion at best. I resolve not to opine on it until the numbers are in.

Back